All About Tuition Agent Fees

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
KanchiongSpideress
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: All About Tuition Agent Fees

Post by KanchiongSpideress » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:05 pm

It's not very nice of the tutor to quit after so soon but i think that we still need to pay for whatever sessions she has conducted. I think it's the same if you quit your job after 1 week, the boss would still need to pay you for the 1 week, unless your contract states that you need to stay for at least more than 1 week to be paid.

It works both ways, just as the tutor can quit, we can also choose to terminate the tutor if we don't find him or her to be good but either way, we need to pay for whatever time she has completed, whether for 1 session, 4 sessions or 10 sessions. This is my personal view.

kychua
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by kychua » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:11 pm

it's really a matter of practice; there's no black n white. i think if the tutor has satisfactorily delivered the service thus far, the family should pay for the period taught.

Juz Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Juz Mum » Sat May 02, 2015 9:49 pm

What is the current tuition fees (EL, Math, MT) for primary 1?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Post by zbear » Sat May 02, 2015 11:24 pm

Juz Mum wrote:What is the current tuition fees (EL, Math, MT) for primary 1?

Is it necessary to have tuition at P1?

momkiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by momkiasu » Mon May 25, 2015 3:19 pm

zbear wrote:

Every student has different learning needs. Thus, some parents prefer to hire tutors on those subjects students may find difficulty in. Even at a tender age at K2 or P1 levels. I have students as young as Nursery, and need helps in phonics reading. Some parents may not be confident / patient enough to coach their child and hence prefer to get some professional help instead. Is quite norm, speaking from my experience as a full time tutor

Emilychan27
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Emilychan27 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:07 pm

momkiasu wrote:
zbear wrote:

Every student has different learning needs. Thus, some parents prefer to hire tutors on those subjects students may find difficulty in. Even at a tender age at K2 or P1 levels. I have students as young as Nursery, and need helps in phonics reading. Some parents may not be confident / patient enough to coach their child and hence prefer to get some professional help instead. Is quite norm, speaking from my experience as a full time tutor

I agree. I was with MOE (primary) for a number of years and only recently quit to teach privately. I have had many pupils at Primary 1 who are not able to read yet. At primary one, they are straight away expected to be able to read. In fact after the first few months, they are expected to complete some form of written expression by themselves already. For Math, I have come across pupils who are not good at counting from 1-10. It gets very difficult for them to catch when the school quickly moves on to number bonds. In these cases, private tutoring is important to help the child cope. Once he/she is coping and moving along with the class at a reasonable pace. Private lessons can stop.

Just my 2 cents :)

Emilychan27
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Emilychan27 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:14 pm

This depends on the teacher. I am an ex primary school teacher and back when I used to have private classes, I charged 50/hr for lower primary.
However, I know many other teachers who charge 40/hr. I think that it depends on the teacher's experience too. Non NIE trained or currently in NIE teachers are cheaper of course. Current and ex teachers are slightly higher and HODs and subject heads may charge more.

I think, safe to say for at least NIE trained 35-40 is a good number to start for lower primary. Might be lower if the teacher lives near you and its easier for him/her to get to your place.

Just sharing my thoughts :) All the best in finding a tutor

Angel1980
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Angel1980 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Some tutors are just part timer. May not be so responsible

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Post by zbear » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:20 am

Angel1980 wrote:Some tutors are just part timer. May not be so responsible

I agree. I got a part timer before n he is super irresponsible.

In the end I fired him n got a full time tutor instead.

mummyxoxo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by mummyxoxo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:23 am

Angel1980 wrote:Some tutors are just part timer. May not be so responsible
Quite subjective though.