All About Tuition Agent Fees

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
mummyxoxo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Tuition Agent Fees

Post by mummyxoxo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:25 am

Angel1980 wrote:Some tutors are just part timer. May not be so responsible
Quite subjective though.

mummyxoxo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by mummyxoxo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:25 am

Quite subjective though.

imtsl
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by imtsl » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:00 pm

There're a few types of private tutors around, with pros and cons for each, so depends on your child's needs...
- Student tutors (Lack experience, may not be committed especially during their own exam period, which is probably usually same as your child's exam period. But due to small age gap with student, they're more able to click and communicate ideas more easily.)
- Part time tutors (Usually older than student tutors, so would display more maturity and responsibility. But as they may have their full-time job, schedule and timing may not be as flexible.)
- Full time tutors (More experienced and committed to teaching. More likely to be updated to the latest syllabus as they teach regularly. But fees can be expensive, especially those with more experience.)
- Ex-moe teachers (More experienced and familiar with the school syllabus. But fees can be more expensive with experience, and older teachers may still hold an old school teaching style that students of the digital age nowadays may not be receptive towards.)

Gemom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Gemom » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:53 am

zbear wrote:

I agree. I got a part timer before n he is super irresponsible.

In the end I fired him n got a full time tutor instead.
I don't think all part timers are irresponsible ba... Had one previously when my girl was younger she was par timer while working full time as an accountant. Think it just depends on individual tutors and for us 'Heng' 'suay' just don go back to the agent that intro u to that person haha.

Though I do tend to lean towards full timers though cause well... Their livelihood depends on it so they probably would be more responsible if not such a reputation goes out can't possibly be good for their business

cheryllimlol
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by cheryllimlol » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Hey.. does anyone here agree with me that we can do without the tuition agent? Maybe something like airbnb for tutors would help... so i can get a database of tutors to access :smile:

passioninlearning
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by passioninlearning » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:13 pm

Think it will be hard.
In fact, there were service providers who had endeavoured to leverage on Information Technology to conduct tuition, such as online tuition. However, in a small country like Singapore, this has yet to take off. In fact, this is akin to buying a laptop; would you buy it at the comfort of your pc, or go to the shop to have a feel of the performance of the system?

In any case, will like to share my website, if parents here ever need academic help or advice.

Regards,
Eric
passioninlearning.wordpress.com

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:20

Post by Joy of Learning 111 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:28 pm

cheryllimlol wrote:Hey.. does anyone here agree with me that we can do without the tuition agent? Maybe something like airbnb for tutors would help... so i can get a database of tutors to access :smile:
Yes, you can do without a tuition agent.

There are opportunities to seek tutors on kiasuparents.

nucleus80
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by nucleus80 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:16 pm

Gemom wrote:
zbear wrote:

I agree. I got a part timer before n he is super irresponsible.

In the end I fired him n got a full time tutor instead.
I don't think all part timers are irresponsible ba... Had one previously when my girl was younger she was par timer while working full time as an accountant. Think it just depends on individual tutors and for us 'Heng' 'suay' just don go back to the agent that intro u to that person haha.

Though I do tend to lean towards full timers though cause well... Their livelihood depends on it so they probably would be more responsible if not such a reputation goes out can't possibly be good for their business
I've been searching for tutors very frequently for the past years for my 3 kids, I realise this sort of things happen often for those agencies which lacks quality control (the tutors from the first 2 agencies were so bad! :faint: ) Recently I got in touched with this agency called Russell, he's really good in helping me filter the right tutors, I got 3 tutors from him ald and all turns out to be great! Thank god!

If anyone interested I put his contact here: Russell 9656 2463

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by mylulaoshi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:47 pm

Just a tip: Established tutors usually wouldn't take assignments from agents as we already have a steady flow of parents and recommendations. Well-experienced tutors will opt not to pay agents commission. To get these 'Top Tutors' parents have to go through hard work of searching through forums or websites or ads.

Ivy80
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Ivy80 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:48 pm

mummyxoxo wrote:
Quite subjective though.
For a part-timer, they are only available in the evening. It also depends whether they are graduates or undergraduates tutor. Generally student tutor can go missing without notice.