Do tutors have faith in their own tuition centre?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Do tutors have faith in their own tuition centre?

Postby kids'no1fan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:29 pm

How do you know if the tuition centre is good? Is it as good as the curriculum or its tutors or both?

All along, I feel that this particular tuition center, pretty known & in plenty locations is ok. I've been considering to send my children there (due to accessible locations) and have many friends and families who are or had been sending their kids there. Recently I found out that, one of its tutor sends their child to another tuition agency, a competitor of similar style and nature. Apparently, in a course that the tutor's own center is providing. Further digging, reveals that this tutor is of important position in the agency.

I find it troubling that someone who has first hand involvement in the running of the tuition center and curriculum etc lack of faith in its own center ability. :shrug: How can I as a parent have faith in the tutor? in the centre?

Or will I be paying for a washed down version of another tuition center curriculum?

Call me old fashioned, is there no ethics left? :slapshead:

Putting all these aside, if the centre is not good enough for your child, its not good enough for mine. :siam: So parents beware!

I learned that groundwork its important when choosing tuition, so I'm choosing one that I can put my faith in.

kids'no1fan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Do tutors have faith in their own tuition centre?

Postby jedamum » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:07 pm

That tutor is smart to send her kids to other centre so she can have reference of her competitors materials, no?

At the end of the day, it is the chemistry of the centre/tutoraand the kids that matters.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Mawar » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:53 pm

jedamum wrote:That tutor is smart to send her kids to other centre so she can have reference of her competitors materials, no?

At the end of the day, it is the chemistry of the centre/tutoraand the kids that matters.

Yes, tutors send their own kinds to other centers to get notes. Some even try to get copies of materials from their students who are attending the high end enrichment or motivational centers.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kids'no1fan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Mawar wrote:
Yes, tutors send their own kinds to other centers to get notes. Some even try to get copies of materials from their students who are attending the high end enrichment or motivational centers.

I guess i'm so naive.. but if one of the directors or curriculum designer of a tuition center does so, it just speak volumes of their quality of work, let alone their moral compass. All i can do, is make my own decision which is whats best for my children and i will definitely not recommend this centers anymore.

kids'no1fan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:11 pm

Talkijg about moral compass. I was looking at a particular centre. Managed to 'track' the centre's boss fb page - it is a small set up. Not comfortable with what I read about that person comments about ex boss. It is one thing to dislike someone, but I can't tolerate certain words especially since this person suppose to be an educator.

Then just don't sign up lor. No need to get upset.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kids'no1fan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:26 pm

True.

Nowadays with parents sharing more and facebook etc world becomes smaller, every info at fingertips. Unfortunate that tuition centers not regulated by MOE or some other body. We parents have to be more vigilant with tutors.

Yup, silver lining after all, found a credible tutor (hopefully, only time will tell) , goodbye Mavis!

kids'no1fan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:09 pm

I look at it this way - the child may just not want to be in the centre that his parent teaches in. Like kids of some school principals and teachers prefer to be in another school. And the child will have access to whatever notes etc from the parent's centre anyway.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sweetbaby » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:16 pm

More like the parent will have access to the other centre's notes!
This is the case of the grass is greener on the other side. Weaker tutor trying profit off other's work? Or Kiasu parentism, knows centre's quality not good enough for own kids? To each their own, own actions own consequences. PM me the tutor's name, definitely going to update my sis who sends their kids there :(

sweetbaby
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby despmom99 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:33 pm

I won't be surprised that people do that to get to know what their competitors are doing. My child's current Science tutor shared with me that the teacher-cum-owner of another tuition centre wanted to send her son to her class. My child's tutor rejected her politely, saying that there is a conflict of interest.

despmom99
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby TheWriter » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:14 am

Hello all

I'm new here and just browsing around when I was intrigued by the title of this post!

It's hard to ascertain the actual reason for sending a child to another centre when you already have your own - could be a little corporate espionage orlack of confidence in their own centre. slmkhoo raises a great point though - I do have a student whose mother is an English teacher, but her child is so resistant to be taught by her (the mother is an absolutely wonderful and kind lady).

As for the original question of how to tell if the centre is good, my two cents would be to go down in person and speak to the teachers if they are available. Find out some basics - T-S ratio, which classes might be larger or smaller, teacher's background and then most importantly, sample curriculum. The administrative staff will normally have them, but if a teacher is around, he/she can walk you through how lessons are conducted and you can gauge based on the teacher's response if he/she is knowledgeable about the materials set by the centre.

Share with them your concerns as well, e.g. DS needs a small class or else easily distracted, or DD looking for something more engaging and discussion-based etc. See how the teacher addresses these concerns. Of course, I'm speaking only from my experience in a niche outfit; premier/larger centres where the teachers are always teaching will probably not be able to do the above.

In short, go speak to them personally, ask questions that are important to you and gauge the teacher's response - observing a live human being will give you plenty of information to decide :)

TheWriter
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment