Tuition Centre's Deposit Fee- Refundable or not?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Tuition Centre's Deposit Fee- Refundable or not?

Postby jeanieg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:10 am

Hi

Can I check with everyone about the Deposit for a tuition centre's deposit?
I just enrolled my kids in a tuition centre (though run in a home) and paid a one month's deposit. I understand that usually this deposit is refundable at the termination of classes with the centre. Is it alright for a centre not to refund?

jeanieg
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Tuition Centre's Deposit Fee- Refundable or not?

Postby catddy2002 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:51 am

It depends whether they get you sign a term and condition which state you need to give them certain period of notice for termination, if not, they have the right not to refund you the deposit.

catddy2002
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jeanieg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks, catddy2002.

jeanieg
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby CMF » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:02 pm

jeanieg wrote:Hi

Can I check with everyone about the Deposit for a tuition centre's deposit?
I just enrolled my kids in a tuition centre (though run in a home) and paid a one month's deposit. I understand that usually this deposit is refundable at the termination of classes with the centre. Is it alright for a centre not to refund?

It depends on the basis the deposit was paid (Terms & Conditions), ie. refundable based on requisite notice given, off-set against last month's fees (after requisite notice given) or off—set against non-payment of fees or material fees.

If it is non-refundable at all, you should be informed upfront, and it should not be referred to as a deposit, but a registration fee, for example.

CMF
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby RobertChan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:10 pm

A few questions regarding the deposit.

1. Is it normal to wait for more than 3 months for the deposit to be refunded?

2. What can parents do if the tuition centre take a long time to refund?

3. I believe some parents may forget to ask for the deposit to be refunded. Is it legal for the tuition centres to keep the deposit?

TIA.

RobertChan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby 12mum » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:34 pm

For me, most centres took slightly more than a month to return deposit. I will call once a week to check on status. So far I have not had a problem with getting back my refund. But I did have a bit of a problem with a chinese tuition centre (prc owner) wrt my withdrawal and refund deposit some years ago.

The centres my child is with now always give out the term schedules with the date of withdrawal clearly stated.

I always file my contracts, receipts, invoices, term schedules and letters. I will only throw them away once I get back my deposit.

I think it is important for parents to keep proper record because some centres might not have a good admin dept.

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby homebunny » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:07 pm

this is why i send my kids to ignite, they don take deposit and the counter boy said if you find ignite not beneficial feel free to look for another centre, we will not waste your time by holding you.

i like woah really nottt...i register late, now jan only their classes i want to enroll in is full....zzzz.z.z.z.z.z. any p5 math and sci wan to quit please give the seat to me. thanks!

homebunny
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment