Why is Tuition Unnecessary?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Why is Tuition Unnecessary?

Postby smartmummy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:27 pm

Original Title: The Real Reason Why We don't Send Our Children to Tuition

I would like to know the answer for the above qn.I am in dilemma situation.
My son attends Eng (compo & compre) only.Many parents(seniors) advice me to send to tuition.My son in P5.My main concern is Time.He has to stay back 4 days in a week.Another concern is money.
Please share your views why you didn't/don't send your child to tuition?
Thank you in advance.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: The Real Reason Why We don't Send Our Children to Tuitio

Postby Imp75 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:32 pm

I don't send my kids to tuition (ok , I sent my kids to Chinese writing class once a week) because:
- I am happy with her results, she may not be the top but because she did reasonably well enough (without much supervision), I am comfortable that she knows what is being taught and has no problem grasping the concepts
- I want her to have her childhood and explore other areas of interests. I'll be happy if she'll be interested to take an alternative route next time when she grows up (ie photographer, film maker, dancer etc)
- I want to be able to spend more time with her
- I want to train her to be independent and not dependent on rote learning or spoon feeding or be doing tons of worksheets etc. Bottom line, work smart, not hard!
- least of the list, save $ haha (though money should never be an equation here)

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Beautyful Minds » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Imp75 wrote:I don't send my kids to tuition (ok , I sent my kids to Chinese writing class once a week) because:
- I am happy with her results, she may not be the top but because she did reasonably well enough (without much supervision), I am comfortable that she knows what is being taught and has no problem grasping the concepts
- I want her to have her childhood and explore other areas of interests. I'll be happy if she'll be interested to take an alternative route next time when she grows up (ie photographer, film maker, dancer etc)
- I want to be able to spend more time with her
- I want to train her to be independent and not dependent on rote learning or spoon feeding or be doing tons of worksheets etc. Bottom line, work smart, not hard!
- least of the list, save $ haha (though money should never be an equation here)

From our experience, the main reason why some parents don't send their children is because the children are smart and can handle the academic requirements on their own. It's very rare though.

Even rarer is Imp75 saying that she/he will be happy if her daughter were to take up alternative route next time. It is really admirable because in Singapore, most parents want their children to pursue the typical path, the "template" of success which is to pursue financial achievements.

Sometimes, the only way for a child to pursue his/her dreams is to take up alternative route. And only by pursuing his/her dreams, can he/she be truly happy.

Hope more parents will be able to encourage their children to chase their passions.

Beautyful Minds
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cmm » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:35 pm

My reasons for not sending my kids to tuition:

1. I don't see the need yet (my eldest in P5) as I coach my kids myself.

2. I believe that I can do a better job, coaching my kids on a day-to-day basis compared to a tutor who comes around just once a week for 1.5 hrs.

3. By coaching my own child, I know each child's weak areas & can personalize the coaching sessions to work on those areas. I do not think a tutor (with their dozens of students) would be able to do so, unless u get a really committed one.

4. I learn together with my children so I'm hands on and can explain certain concepts they may have difficulty understanding right away instead for waiting till the tutor comes around.

5. Cost.

6. Time.

I am open, however, to sending my kids to tuition one day if I find that I'm unable to coach my kids adequately anymore and they need the extra help.

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ammonite » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:55 pm

I don't send for a number of reasons. Not in order:
- I disagree with some aspects of our education system in the first place, hence have no desire to chase after MOE's goals.
- I do not want to short change my child by focusing on the short term goals of perfection for high marks at the expense of the long term need for creative and independent thinking.
- I think it is important to have a broad knowledge base, not just textbook knowledge.
- Time and flexibility is forfeited with tuition. These are very important to me.
- I am able to guide him when he meets with difficulties in his schoolwork.

Actually I think most kids only need some targeted help. With the long hours in school plus ccas, and ploughing through homework, the rest of the time is better spent reading, resting, doing sports, and picking up life skills.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:50 pm

And to add, it is rare to find a kid that's real smart, Mine definitely is not, it is just that my expectations are adjusted. Being thru the route, do we really find happiness pursuing the well travelled road despite being financially fulfilling? I know my hubby is not because he is a product of the system so why subject our children to this? Having said this, I still hope that my kids can relatively do well in school so that they find time to do other things and not be bogged down with tons of extra lessons or schoolwork.
Jokingly-mine are all girls lah, just marry well next time and be tai tai haha

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby kamom » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:58 pm

I don't send my children to tuition

1) My kids and I find means to solve the problems. Internet comes in useful here. I ask people around me for help..incl. those from this forum :smile:
2) I refused to have a herd mentality. (No offence)
3) The happiness of my child is more important. My children look forward to going home each day but I do know of kids who dislike going home because that means more work.
4) I want them to remember their childhood as a time where they have fun and not just about studying and getting top grades
5) I want my children to love what they are doing. My sec 1 boy has already decided that he will not go the JC way. He wants to do things that he really love.
6) I want them to see life beyond school and grades. I want their school life to be part of a learning journey.
7) I stressed on giving their best. It is ok if the best does not equate to top grades.

My motto for my kids is to love what they do so that they won't need to work a day in their life.

Many times, as parents, we blamed system and society of robbing us of our kids but in reality, we are also the accomplice. We placed our own fears on our kids. Sometimes, we send them for tuition to put ourselves at ease. We fail to see things from their perspective. I was at a PTC and on the table, these words were carved on it "Life is tough". These words coming from kids who have barely seen the real world. It is sad (at least to me).

We are so concerned with our kids getting top grades that we failed to see something much more important - their health. Kids are not having enough sleep, kids are not eating properly and eating well. (Common sight to see them eating their breakfast while walking to school). Feeding kids is not just about filling up their tummies, it is about building up bodies to last a life time. This may flip some of you. Some time back when we were at the zoo, we saw a kid, maybe about 7 or 8 yo - a stroke patient. You know how easy to spot one, the way they walk, the way their hand moves. It is not just the silver tsunami, it will be a lot more if we don't love our kids enough.

When our kids grow up, scholars will be everywhere but true talent will be rare and that's what people will pay for.

One last thing why I don't sent my kids for tuition - why should I make someone a millionaire :wink:
Last edited by kamom on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kamom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kamom » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Imp75 wrote:And to add, it is rare to find a kid that's real smart, Mine definitely is not, it is just that my expectations are adjusted. Being thru the route, do we really find happiness pursuing the well travelled road despite being financially fulfilling? I know my hubby is not because he is a product of the system so why subject our children to this? Having said this, I still hope that my kids can relatively do well in school so that they find time to do other things and not be bogged down with tons of extra lessons or schoolwork.
Jokingly-mine are all girls lah, just marry well next time and be tai tai haha

Agree! My part-time helper and her husband (a truck driver) have 2 kids. I due for poly and the other a normal stream sec 1 boy. They are the happiest family I have ever met!

kamom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby J and J » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:49 pm

kamom wrote:I don't send my children to tuition

1) My kids and I find means to solve the problems. Internet comes in useful here. I ask people around me for help..incl. those from this forum :smile:
2) I refused to have a herd mentality. (No offence)
3) The happiness of my child is more important. My children look forward to going home each day but I do know of kids who dislike going home because that means more work.
4) I want them to remember their childhood as a time where they have fun and not just about studying and getting top grades
5) I want my children to love what they are doing. My sec 1 boy has already decided that he will not go the JC way. He wants to do things that he really love.
6) I want them to see life beyond school and grades. I want their school life to be part of a learning journey.
7) I stressed on giving their best. It is ok if the best does not equate to top grades.

My motto for my kids is to love what they do so that they won't need to work a day in their life.

Many times, as parents, we blamed system and society of robbing us of our kids but in reality, we are also the accomplice. We placed our own fears on our kids. Sometimes, we send them for tuition to put ourselves at ease. We fail to see things from their perspective. I was at a PTC and on the table, these words were carved on it "Life is tough". These words coming from kids who have barely seen the real world. It is sad (at least to me).

We are so concerned with our kids getting top grades that we failed to see something much more important - their health. Kids are not having enough sleep, kids are not eating properly and eating well. (Common sight to see them eating their breakfast while walking to school). Feeding kids is not just about filling up their tummies, it is about building up bodies to last a life time. This may flip some of you. Some time back when we were at the zoo, we saw a kid, maybe about 7 or 8 yo - a stroke patient. You know how easy to spot one, the way they walk, the way their hand moves. It is not just the silver tsunami, it will be a lot more if we don't love our kids enough.

When our kids grow up, scholars will be everywhere but true talent will be rare and that's what people will pay for.

One last thing why I don't sent my kids for tuition - why should I make someone a millionaire :wink:

Agreed. I do not send my DD to tuition too. Even my DD tells me that her classmates all are having tuition why she doesn't have... haha. I coach her myself and she can have luxuary afternoon nap nearly everyday except for one CCA day. And I explain to her if she has tuition, she'll have no nap time and with lots of homework. She chooses nap time. :lol: I can say she is much more healthier than her peers.

J and J
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby rains » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 pm

The real reason I don't send my kid for tuition is because I want to save money on tuition :)

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment