The Real Reason Why We Send Our Children to Tuition

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

The Real Reason Why We Send Our Children to Tuition

Postby Beautyful Minds » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Original Title: The Real Reason Why We Send Our Children to Tuition

Let's face it. Why we ever send our children to tuition or enrichment is so that they score A in the exams.

However, the real question is not why we send but why do we want them to excel in exams?

It could be we are afraid to lose; we want our children to secure well-paying jobs or simply help them enter a better school.

There could be other reasons but are the reasons good enough to make our children and ourselves so much more inconvenient and stressful? We have to ferry them around, juggle the already-full schedule and manage the piling homework among a myriad of endless tasks.

If you are like many parents, you will realise that most of these reasons are insufficient to motivate us for such prolonged and intense period of time. But amidst all the superficial reasons, there is an unwavering desire in us.

The desire to give our children the power of choice.

To make sure that they can choose whether they want to go to RI, RGS, SCGS, SJI or simply a school nearby.
To make sure that they can choose whether they want to be a doctor, a lawyer, a politician or a magician.
To make sure that they WILL have the power of choice that many of us did not when we were at their age.

And we don't always have to decide for them. They can choose for themselves. We will even gladly relinquish the decision-maker role when they come of age. Because deep down inside, all we want, as parents, is to provide the best possible options for our children. And it is this desire that spurs us to sacrifice so much for them.

To give everything we have and will have so that they can lead a better life. A better life by having the power of choice.

Beautyful Minds
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: The Real Reason Why We Send Our Children to Tuition

Postby Imp75 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:05 pm

You can do that without sending to tuition or enrichment

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Beautyful Minds » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Imp75 wrote:You can do that without sending to tuition or enrichment

We agree. Tuition or Enrichment is NEVER the only way to give children the power of choice. But in a meritocracy like Singapore, examination results determine the options a child has and by extension, the parents have.

We are of the consensus that an examination-based education system might not be the best system out there but we can't change it. Many people have tried and failed. Some may argue that it is slowly evolving but it takes time. In the meantime, what tuition and enrichment establishments can do is to provide the guidance and tools to genuinely help students.

Beautyful Minds
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Unfinished_Math » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:25 am

So that parents can have a good sleep at night

Unfinished_Math
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Beautyful Minds » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:50 am

DOE_admin wrote:
Unfinished_Math wrote:So that parents can have a good sleep at night

I am sure even if having tuition puts some worries to ease, the parents have plenty of other things to toss and turn over in bed at night.

Too many areas to take care of for a child's growth.

It's like filling a Big leaking bucket with water
1. We have to fill the water up while the child is still under our care
2. We have to plug the many leaks so that the bucket will not run out of water when we stop filling them

Beautyful Minds
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby janet88 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:08 am

This thing called parenting is not an easy job. As a parent, we have to worry about kids' health, mental well-being, hygiene, correct diet, discipline and education...and several more factors I could have missed out.

Education is the BIGGEST killer...the other factors we can still be in charge...but with the system being so difficult, even my hubby has given up. From English to Chinese, Science & Math...not one subject is easy. Hubby & I die die refused to believe in tuition for son, believing we can coach ourselves...the main reason is lack of MONEY. Thus, son never had a foundation for English, Math & Science from P1.

The real reason why we send our children to tuition is because not all schools can do a good job to teach them sufficiently to pass exams.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AdonciaTang » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:42 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:This thing called parenting is not an easy job. As a parent, we have to worry about kids' health, mental well-being, hygiene, correct diet, discipline and education...and several more factors I could have missed out.

Education is the BIGGEST killer...the other factors we can still be in charge...but with the system being so difficult, even my hubby has given up. From English to Chinese, Science & Math...not one subject is easy. Hubby & I die die refused to believe in tuition for son, believing we can coach ourselves...the main reason is lack of MONEY. Thus, son never had a foundation for English, Math & Science from P1.

The real reason why we send our children to tuition is because not all schools can do a good job to teach them sufficiently to pass exams.

Agree! In the school, there are too many students and seriously, the teacher wont ans everyone's question if at one time 5-7 students raises their hands up, they need to keep on time with the schedule so impossible to attend to everyone. So I send my kids to a tuition centre that only cater to small group. Cannot take it if more then 7-8 students in a group, so hard to focus.

AdonciaTang
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:01 am

my hubby & i didn't believe in tuition, preferring to be hands-on to teach ourselves...this went on till p4. at p5, we were struggling to breathe.
it was really late when we realized son was weak at this crucial psle year. with just one sole breadwinner, it would have been ridiculous to get tuition for all 3 subjects at p1.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AdonciaTang » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:33 am

janet_lee88 wrote:my hubby & i didn't believe in tuition, preferring to be hands-on to teach ourselves...this went on till p4. at p5, we were struggling to breathe.
it was really late when we realized son was weak at this crucial psle year. with just one sole breadwinner, it would have been ridiculous to get tuition for all 3 subjects at p1.

Yeap understand that too. If we can teach them ourselves, it would be the best.

AdonciaTang
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:46 am

AdonciaTang wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:my hubby & i didn't believe in tuition, preferring to be hands-on to teach ourselves...this went on till p4. at p5, we were struggling to breathe.

Yeap understand that too. If we can teach them ourselves, it would be the best.

we are afraid to depend on tutors...in case they walk out on us...at the same time, it's hard to find reliable ones. some tuition centres have big classes while some tutors give assessment books, defeats the purpose right?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment