The Real Reason Why We Send Our Children to Tuition

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Re: The Real Reason Why We Send Our Children to Tuition

Post by janet88 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:23 am

june holidays is to give the kids some breather PLUS reinforcement after SA1. nov for some fun, since sa2 is over...but to get some headstart for new academic term in dec before taking a break again for some Christmas mood.
at least when school reopens, they are quite prepared mentally what to expect. however, language is a subject which should be ongoing even when tutor goes for holiday. I still enforce the reading everyday.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:10 am

SINGAPORE - At the youth dialogue held last night, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong gave his take on the tuition situation in Singapore after one student expressed concern about parents sending their kids to tuition and other extra classes from a young age.

The student said his niece in her second year at kindergarten is going to so many classes - including one on leadership skills - that he fears that she is losing her childhood.

He was one of about 350 young Singaporeans aged 12 to 35 who attended the post-rally dialogue, organised by the Youth Executive Committees of Ang Mo Kio GRC and Sengkang West, and held at St Nicholas Girls' School.

In response, PM Lee acknowledged the situation and noted that many parents are overzealous in arranging for tuition classes for their children.

"Why are K2 students going for leadership training programmes? It's partly because our system is competitive, I think it's [also] partly because parents are very anxious for their kids. And I think sometimes their kids also want to make sure they get the few extra points and they ask their parents to arrange tuition for them," he said.

"But I think it's too much. Tuition can help if you are really struggling with a subject. But generally speaking, we want the teachers in school to be teaching you the whole subject, not teaching you the basics and then saying 'the rest you go and ask your tuition teacher.'"

He said that from his observations, teachers make an effort to teach the whole syllabus in class most of the time and put in extra hours to teach students who need extra help.

"If you need more tuition or more help, many of the teachers I know stay back in class and in school. If you get detention class, the teachers also stay back in order to help you to pass the exam," he noted.

"So I think that actually, we are doing too much tuition in Singapore," he concluded.
- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/edvantage/ ... g1KCN.dpuf

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by jetsetter » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:16 am

Thanks Janet. Watch the snippet here:

[/youtube]

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:16 am

There are teachers in some schools who do try to help weaker ones by having parallel teaching for certain subjects. P1-2 classes are kept at 30...why not all the way till p6? Seriously if tuition is to be reduced, something should be done. Re-look at teachers' workload. If they are stressed, kids suffer too.

jojoberry
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by jojoberry » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:23 pm

my best friend is a teacher who has received the caring teacher award a few times. she works 7.30am to 6pm mon-fri if she's lucky.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:02 pm

A friend of mine is a teacher herself...she is stressed with meetings, cca outings, marking, planning...finishes at 6 almost everyday. After dinner, coach younger son in his school work.

jojoberry
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by jojoberry » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:49 pm

now my friend is thinking of becoming an adjunct or part-time teacher because she wants to set up a family. full time teacher has no time for family and kids!

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:14 am

Teachers have hardly any time to teach their own kids.
At the end of a full day in school, they are so tired both physically and mentally...but the day hasn't ended until they have made sure own kids have done and revised their work.

Times may have changed. Do our children need to be turbo charged at such a young age?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:14 am

Steven Chia posted a PSLE math question. I follow him on FB.
I can't do that question. Why is our primary school syllabus becoming so tough? Ok, maybe I am stupid but the 'English' in the Math question has stumped me completely.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Post by zbear » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:42 pm

My understanding of PSLE (as I was told) that its a locally set exam n MOE uses top scholars' brains to set such questions. Its unrealistic n thankful to say, O level syallubus is more manageable. But heard from my DD last nite that O n A level standards are now getting tougher unlike before.

All I can say is Thank God I am not born in this generation.