The Real Reason Why We Send Our Children to Tuition

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Re: The Real Reason Why We Send Our Children to Tuition

Post by janet88 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:03 am

this is not tuition. this is hothousing :nailbite:
http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singap ... e-20150603

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by DadOfGirl » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:33 am

zbear wrote:I feel that tutors supplement school teachers. If you have 1-1 tuition, you have full 100% of the tutor aka teacher's attention. It helps a lot even though its only 1x a week compared to 1-40 (in school) even though its daily (30 mins).

My kids have doubts n need clarifications, so a tutor comes in to address any questions n help them to tackle weak topics. Often its difficult to approach school teachers (after lessons) for help becos they are too busy multi tasking.

Its important to know why you need a tutor n how to fully maximise the use of a tutor so that tuition becomes effective.

There is no point to have tuition just for the sake of following the Joneses.
I would agree to above. Role of tutor is like a Mentor or Coach... That's the reason duration of engagement should be 2 years for any Major exam. Most such Private tutor would need time to turn around , atleast 2 year.
For O-level start at Sec3 begining & mostly take only one/two subject

momkiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by momkiasu » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi zbear, I totally agree. Tuition should only be to help students who are unable to find sufficient help in their subjects, be it parents not having the sufficient knowledge or time. I believe in being efficient. If your child is coping fine, there should be no need for tuition just because their friends have it.

xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by xueyan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:51 am

May I know for lower primary level, is there tutor that teach all subjects?

GTGT
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by GTGT » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

xueyan wrote:May I know for lower primary level, is there tutor that teach all subjects?
I am one of those who teaches all 3 subjects at lower level.

However, I do not think there are many in the markets :)

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Post by sembgal » Sun May 15, 2016 10:06 pm

mathtuition88
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:16

Post by mathtuition88 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:24 pm

Tuition works very well if the child is self-motivated, and sincerely wishes to study and improve. He/she can then leverage on the help of the tutor to ask questions / clarify doubts, leading to better understanding of the subject matter. Whatever is taught will be absorbed well. Sometimes the student is a good one, but is unlucky to get a teacher in school that doesn't teach well for some reason or another. In this case, tuition will definitely help.

If the child is disinterested in studying, and only sits through tuition because of forcing by parents, his/her mind will not be focused during tuition. During tuition, the child sits there, but his mind is dwelling on other things. Unfortunately in this case tuition may not help much, though like what someone mentioned earlier, it is still better than spending time playing computer/phone games.

foxd
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by foxd » Mon May 30, 2016 8:13 pm

For those who enrolled their children in tuition, what made you decide that it's the best tuition center/tutor? There r lots of tutors and tuition centre it's so hard to choose.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Post by zbear » Mon May 30, 2016 8:38 pm

mathtuition88 wrote:Tuition works very well if the child is self-motivated, and sincerely wishes to study and improve. He/she can then leverage on the help of the tutor to ask questions / clarify doubts, leading to better understanding of the subject matter. Whatever is taught will be absorbed well. Sometimes the student is a good one, but is unlucky to get a teacher in school that doesn't teach well for some reason or another. In this case, tuition will definitely help.

If the child is disinterested in studying, and only sits through tuition because of forcing by parents, his/her mind will not be focused during tuition. During tuition, the child sits there, but his mind is dwelling on other things. Unfortunately in this case tuition may not help much, though like what someone mentioned earlier, it is still better than spending time playing computer/phone games.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

:goodpost:

SFRLearning
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by SFRLearning » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:57 am

zbear wrote:
mathtuition88 wrote:Tuition works very well if the child is self-motivated, and sincerely wishes to study and improve. He/she can then leverage on the help of the tutor to ask questions / clarify doubts, leading to better understanding of the subject matter. Whatever is taught will be absorbed well. Sometimes the student is a good one, but is unlucky to get a teacher in school that doesn't teach well for some reason or another. In this case, tuition will definitely help.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

:goodpost:
I agree to a certain extent, but personally as a tutor myself, I feel that the student's interest in learning/studying can be built up. As tutors, it is our responsibility to make our lessons engaging such that students find interest in the knowledge learnt. I have had students who were forced to have the tuition by their parents. They dreaded my lessons at first but slowly start to gain passion in what they were learning through my lessons. With passion towards learning, you can see a change in their attitude. They will be more willing to ask questions, do their homework and etc.
To me, passion in learning comes first and academic excellence will follow. :smile: