Good Teachers

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Good Teachers

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:00 am

There is a thread on bad teachers so I thought of setting up this thread to be fair to all teachers out there.

In my son's 5.5 years in Primary School, most of his form teachers are very kind. They have the children's interests at their hearts. Some even give their handphone numbers so we can call them to discuss about our children.

One particularly nice teacher is a retiree that was asked to come back to teach. She was my son's P1 form teacher. She is such a lovely lady. I will never forget her because she made my son loves Primary School. Transition from kindergarten to Primary School was a breeze. My son even said that Primary School is better than kindergarten. She jokes in class and make the class lively. to parents, she told us our children's strengths so we don't only focus on weaknesses. The teacher had finally retired and no longer teaching. I hope she is enjoying her retirement and always have good health. God bless her.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Good Teachers

Postby janet88 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 am

my daughter loves her form teacher who taught her for 2 years...until now, she still hopes that teacher can continue to teach her.

son also had his fair share of wonderful teachers in primary school...a chinese male teacher who prepared notes for oral and also to tackle 完成对话 for eg. that teacher is very strict but son loves his lessons very much...chinese lessons.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nutty mum » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 am

My DS is fortunate to have very good P6 teachers as well as from the enrichment centre.

The P6 teachers have done more than their duties and roles as a teacher.
During the stressful months of P6 PSLE preparation, all his teachers gave them handwritten encouraging notes, handmade gifts to boost their confidence level and these may be just ordinary stuffs but they are so valuable and sincere that to-date my DS kept them like treasures.
Teachers(including those that left)from enrichment centre also write him encouraging notes and sent SMS to give a final boost of encouragement, day before PSLE.

Nutty mum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:27 am

teachers who go that extra mile are really heaven-sent...i am truly grateful to have them teach my kids. they make a difference.

son's english tutor was very hard on him in the beginning...so much so he almost broke down. towards july, his confidence level was high...the day before oral and eng psle, she sms-ed all her students to encourage them.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:23 pm

One of the good teachers we met was my ds2's N2 teacher.
In N1, the form teacher discouraged us to sign up for year-end performance as she felt that bright lights and loud music would overstimulate our 'hyper-active' boy and cause hurt to others.
This N2 teacher spoke to me to withdraw my withdrawal notice to perform at year-end concert. She said that she would monitor my boy. And even if he could not perform on stage, he could still join them for weekly performance prep sessions. I was very touched.
She also got me to withdraw my withdrawal notice for school excursion. She explained that I should let my boy try out school activities and that she would arrange for extra pair of hands/eyes to look out for my boy. I was very very touched.

Then there was his K2 teacher.
Always encouraging him to share his knowledge in class. My boy still speaks fondly of her.

Then there was ds1's P1-P2 form teacher.
Very prompt in responding to our feedback. Spoke to me when she noticed ds1's bad eye-twitching habit. At the end of the two years, I wrote an email to the Principal to commendher.

Then there is ds1's P1-P3 CL teacher.
My boy was scared of her initially. But grew to like her a lot. His chinese improved under her. She would write personal words of remarks/encouragement/thought-provoking statements on every piece of journal and also most school work. When she left the school, my boy was very upset. She wrote him an encouragement farewell letter.

Then there was ds1's P4 form teacher.
Similarly, my boy was scared of her initially. But grew to like her alot. She would pen personal words of remarks/encouragement/thought-provoking statements on almost every piece of homework.

Then there was ds1's P4 CL teacher.
I received her sms the day before CL compo exam to remind students to bring CL dictionary.

Then there was ds1's P4 Math and Science teachers.
They knew that ds1 did not have tuition for this two subjects and assisted us in clarifying a lot of inquiries pertaining to past year papers etc.

Then there is ds1's P5 CL teacher.
My boy's chinese handwriting improved leaps and bounds this year (willingly). I wonder what magic she had cast on him. :scratchhead:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby senseimichael » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Seems like all good teachers get fearful students at first! I remember parents using me as the bogeyman to scare their children into eating their vegetables, when I was the DM ("If you don't eat your vegetables, I'd tell Mr Chan!")!

Till today, I still keep in touch with my students, haha.

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby celebratelife » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:54 am

Hi ngl2010,

I personally believe that most teachers are great and dedicated teachers who have a passion for teaching.

Should any of them leave the profession, it could probably be due to the following reasons:

i. Unacceptable monetary remuneration rates
ii. Heavy workloads
iii. Imbalanced work-life balance
iv. Looking for alternative lifestyles while staying in the teaching profession (such as turning part-time or freelancing)

I wish blessings upon all the past, current and future teachers who believe in educating the younger generations.

Thanks all!

P.S: The media seldom celebrates Teacher's Day, but their students probably will.

Warmest Regards,
Patrick
http://www.patricktay.wordpress.com

celebratelife
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby joannelim1975 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:14 am

one of the good teachers I have engaged so far is the current female home tutor I am using for both my children. she does an extensive assessment to see where your child's learning abilities are and creates a learning portfolio just for my individual children. her lessons include drilling practices, challenging exercises and brain stimulating activities. i find it is very affordable considering there are brain training activities included.

joannelim1975
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby GLORYmum » Wed May 28, 2014 11:38 am

Ngl, this is a very inspiring thread. Thanks for starting it.

what makes a good teacher ? IMHO, a good teacher is one who will be remembered fondly even if she was fierce or strict because you know she cared and meant well and was passionate enough to impart correct values which become useful and valuable in our lives.

老师是灵魂的工程师。

GLORYmum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GLORYmum » Wed May 28, 2014 10:22 pm

tribute to good teachers for their exemplary perf on moe's website.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/compliments/#took-good-care

GLORYmum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment