Enrichment classes in ADDITION to Pre-school

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Enrichment classes in ADDITION to Pre-school

Postby redrose » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:07 pm

From my experience, I found that enrichment class after school is a MUST for children (3 to 6yrs)Phonics, chinese & maths class. Because these will make yr life easlier when yr child go P1. Pre school 3 hrs is not enough. minus 30mins snack & ??? play time etc..

redrose
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Pre schools and enrichment class

Postby Fettuccine » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:28 pm

redrose wrote:From my experience, I found that enrichment class after school is a MUST for children (3 to 6yrs)Phonics, chinese & maths class. Because these will make yr life easlier when yr child go P1. Pre school 3 hrs is not enough. minus 30mins snack & ??? play time etc..

Agree that getting your child well prepared for P1 will make the transition much easier :)

3 hours is really too little a time for kindergarten cos that is the only time allowed for them to learn as much as possible there. Especially if the school is a "Learn Thru Play" method, then you can forget about academic part.

My story :D :
My kids didn't click with an english teacher at a enrichment center and ended up paying a term's fees with no result. So I ended up teaching them at home. With savings in the cost of academic enrichments, I sent them to music, ballet, taekwondo classes, all of which they enjoy.

So far they are doing fine in both aspects and I'm currently thinking about signing son up for some mind training or abacus course. Had told him about it and he sounds interested to try.

Fettuccine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby redrose » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:55 pm

I agreed with u. In fact,all pre schools are the same.What they teach is limited. For 3 hrs or the most 41/2hrs, all limited minus snack,play time,art,music,parties,story telling etc....So we have to send the kids to enrichment class or self- coach at home.The pre schools can't teach my kid to write a compo or to do a comprehension or Grammer.My older girl went through all these programmes( 3 yrs to 6)Now she is in P2, She only left with a piano lesson and strictly just school. But I have to start my younger girl all over again.She is 2 yrs old now...sending and picking her up,looking for a car park lot. It's a NIGHTMARE.Ha.Ha....

redrose
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Fettuccine » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:12 pm

redrose wrote:I agreed with u. In fact,all pre schools are the same.What they teach is limited. For 3 hrs or the most 41/2hrs, all limited minus snack,play time,art,music,parties,story telling etc....So we have to send the kids to enrichment class or self- coach at home.The pre schools can't teach my kid to write a compo or to do a comprehension or Grammer.My older girl went through all these programmes( 3 yrs to 6)Now she is in P2, She only left with a piano lesson and strictly just school. But I have to start my younger girl all over again.She is 2 yrs old now...sending and picking her up,looking for a car park lot. It's a NIGHTMARE.Ha.Ha....

Wow, your kid is P2 already, I'm still fretting over the P1 registration process. At least you are done with this P1 stress. Do share more of your experiences in this forum :)

Fettuccine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby redrose » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:10 pm

After P1 stress, followed by exam fever in march,may ,september and october every year.

redrose
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:08 pm

Fettuccine wrote:So I ended up teaching them at home. .

Hi Fettuccine,
Care to share how you teach English at home? Besides memorising 'concepts' (eg past/present tense), are there better/more fun way to instill such concept?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Fettuccine » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:27 pm

jedamum wrote:
Fettuccine wrote:So I ended up teaching them at home. .

Hi Fettuccine,
Care to share how you teach English at home? Besides memorising 'concepts' (eg past/present tense), are there better/more fun way to instill such concept?

Hi Jedamum,

Wah, I can tell you a long story haha. Nothing professional, just homemade remedy...At K1, my son was weak in blending words and inevitably vocab. First thing I pulled him out of the ex-preschool. Spent alot of money there even on childcare for a year does not yield results. Brought him to be tested from 2 different phonic schools, and both said he could not blend words, let alone read.

And so I began reading stories to them before bedtime and going through with him the blending of words, all rhyming simple words. Then in a few days, began the basic 100 words from scholastic books ordered from preschool, which slowly got his confidence up. Once he is happy and start showing interest in learning more, I sat with him to do the assessment book. After completing a group of pages, he gets to tear out the mini story book (attached in the assessment) as a reward.

Each time he answers correctly, I will praise and encourage him. Within 3 months, he was able to read/spell and is much more happier to learn English :D . Now he is confident enough to read the instructions and the questions without my help, which is what I feel quite important for him too.

As for spelling or learning new words, I do my own mini flash cards. I would make him copy each word 10 times, flash the cards, and then finally play the "spelling test game". To make this spelling more exciting, I shuffle the cards then ask him to pick one card and I will read out. He would then have to write the spelling out. It works pretty well, cos usually he will get all the spelling right in 1 hour. If he had trouble, I would pronounce the word louder and clearly, so that he knows how to "guess" and "blend" without memorizing. Amazingly, he had no trouble with chinese. So I am not too worried.

Past/present tenses are taught by telling him "Yesterday, I went to school", "today, I go to vivo city". In fact, all this are also learned in the colorful scholastic 100 words assessment book. Now that he has completed one book and doing the grade 2 version halfway, I showed him some local K2 assessments, which he just started doing a few pages too.

He now loves to read newspaper headlines alot and trying hard at some of the contents. But most of the time he cuts out the articles/pictures he likes (jian bao) and paste them in jotter books I got him.

It all depends on the kid, follow his personality/learning style. My son is the kind who see something difficult and then don't wanna try. Sorry for the long post! :oops:

Fettuccine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:15 am

Hi Fettuccine,
Thanks for the detailed explanation and sharing. :) That must be a lot of work.
May I know what is the full title of the assessment book that you've got for your boy? Is it available in Popular?
For me, I let my boy do those usual assessment books...those past tense or present tense (why sometimes add 'ed' why sometimes is like 'ran' instead of 'run'), we go by memory....then i'll do up simple 'worksheets' (with the help of excel or MSword) to revise what we have gone through or his mistakes in the assessment. We did not do any spelling as my boy is not keen...he always brush me off whenever I tried to correct his spelling (eg some phonetic usage of the sound 'a' and 'e' may get mixed up at times). :(

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby belinda » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:18 pm

Hi Cheif kiasu,

Has anyone try the Morris allen at Kovan? Is it good for kids with short attention span?

belinda
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby buds » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:44 am

Heyya..

I learnt Jolly Phonics.
Great for those 'not-sitting-down' kiddie types!
Heheee....

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment