Is too much joy based learning causing learning problems?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Is too much joy based learning causing learning problems?

Postby lchunleo » Mon May 13, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi all,

while i am in the journey of sourcing for suitable enrichment class for my child, i noted that alot of enrichment class tends to use a lot fun approach to teach stuff

i have one question, will the students have problem when they need to learn academic stuff which may not be "Fun" at all?

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Is too much joy based learning causing learning problems

Postby slmkhoo » Mon May 13, 2013 3:31 pm

I believe that every stage of development it's uniqueness. For preschoolers, because they haven't as much self-control and self-discipline as older kids, learning through play and fun is more effective in the long run as it builds a desire to learn. Once they get to school age, there needs to be a transition to a mixture of fun-based and some drill-based learning, and I guess by the mid-teens, the fun components may be minimal. As long as you bear in mind the need to transition when appropriate, don't deny your child the fun when he is young.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lchunleo » Mon May 13, 2013 4:30 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I believe that every stage of development it's uniqueness. For preschoolers, because they haven't as much self-control and self-discipline as older kids, learning through play and fun is more effective in the long run as it builds a desire to learn. Once they get to school age, there needs to be a transition to a mixture of fun-based and some drill-based learning, and I guess by the mid-teens, the fun components may be minimal. As long as you bear in mind the need to transition when appropriate, don't deny your child the fun when he is young.

Well said! :rahrah: this is insightful words, never come across to me..

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby minniemousewith2babies » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:39 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I believe that every stage of development it's uniqueness. For preschoolers, because they haven't as much self-control and self-discipline as older kids, learning through play and fun is more effective in the long run as it builds a desire to learn. Once they get to school age, there needs to be a transition to a mixture of fun-based and some drill-based learning, and I guess by the mid-teens, the fun components may be minimal. As long as you bear in mind the need to transition when appropriate, don't deny your child the fun when he is young.

I totally agree with what you've said. I strongly believe in giving my kids a fun-based learning environment till 5 years old before switching it more to academia-focus like those preparatory classes for P1.
They need to enjoy learning and I really see the difference between my kids and some friends' kids who go for strictly academic enrichment while they are only 3 or 4 years old. :sweat:

minniemousewith2babies
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment