Tuition necessary for Primary 1?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Tuition necessary for Primary 1?

Postby Dino-Craze » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi,

I am mum to a K2 boy and wonder if tuition is really necessary from Primary 1?

Are problem sums introduced in P1?
I am thinking of sending my boy to an English enrichment class to strengthen his English pronounciation as well as to understand Math problem sums better but his current kindy teacher said no need since math problem sums is from P3 onwards.

Am i too kiasu?

Appreciate your kind feedback.

Dino-Craze
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Tuition necessary for Primary 1?

Postby tankee » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:36 pm

tuition is reinforcing what is taught in school while enrichment is going beyond that.

in general, for children that had studied kindergarten in our local context, they should do ok in P1. Of course, there will be some that need some extra help in one subject or more. Parents are in the best position to judge what is best for their children.

IMO phonetic is essential. As it helps in reading and spelling.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:47 pm

There are simple maths problem sums in P1.

You can flip thru the maths assessment bks in Popular to get an idea.

I can't advise you abt tuition becos my primary school's pace is pretty normal and I feel that ds' kindy has prepared him well for P1.

Plus after going thru P1 with DD1, it's not scary.

Chief had posted a chklist to help decide if a child is ready for P1. I will try to find it for you.
Last edited by SAHM_TAN on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi,

Found it.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... or+primary

I used it as a guide but didn't send the kiddos to the centres heehee

I tracked kiddos progress fr K1 to ensure that they more or less can meet the "std". DD1 was a bit behind but becos the school I selected is very normal, she quickly caught up.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hoo1688 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:36 pm

My dd is also in K2, she has started attending P1 preparatory (English, Maths & Chinese) tuition class since she was 4, she is able to handle and enjoys the learning process, dd has started writing composition (English & Chinese) at 5. Now dd is attending P2 tuition, as early tuition has assist dd in building up strong foundation. dd vocabulary is much more advance than her peers.

dd likes to read some friction story i.e The house with 6 legs. Aladdin and the Lamp.

For me, I prefer to prepare in advance rather than 临 时 抱 佛 脚 .
Last edited by hoo1688 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoo1688
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:48 pm

hoo1688 wrote:My dd is also in K2, she has started attending P1 preparatory (English, Maths & Chinese) tuition class since she was 4, she is able to handle and enjoys the learning process, dd has started writing composition (English & Chinese) at 5. Now dd is attending P2 tuition, as early tuition has assist dd in building up strong foundation. dd vocabulary is much more advance than her peers.

For me, I prefer to prepare in advance rather than 临 时 抱 佛 脚 .

dd likes to read some friction story i.e The house with 6 legs. Aladdin and the Lamp.

I read the 作文 that you posted, very impressive.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iFirefly » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:54 pm

My answer is.. NO

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Green_white » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:19 am

Nvr too early to start. If i could turn back my clock I would want my kids to start lesson when they were in nursery and make sure I engage the best for them. It could definitely save them from going through the hard-knocks.

Green_white
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:19 am

I don't think it is necessary to have tuition for P1. If the child lose interest in the class in P1 and P2 because she/he had learnt the lessons before, we'll have another set of problem. Anyway, whatever advanced learning reaped will be diluted by P3 because all HA children in school will catch up. Just my 2-cents.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:21 am

ngl2010 wrote:I don't think it is necessary to have tuition for P1. If the child lose interest in the class in P1 and P2 because she/he had learnt the lessons before, we'll have another set of problem. Anyway, whatever advanced learning reaped will be diluted by P3 because all HA children in school will catch up. Just my 2-cents.

Agree with this. Just wait and see how the child manages. Anyway, parents can help with P1 work as it's simple. If you want to prepare kids ahead, then work on reading widely and life skills (eg. handling money, asking questions, buying food, toileting etc).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment