3.5yr old should know to read what words

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

3.5yr old should know to read what words

Postby Katetay » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:30 pm

May I know by 3.5 yr old , child should know to read what english words .

Any mummies here can share with me?

Katetay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: 3.5yr old should know to read what words

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Most 3.5yo kids can't read.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Steadyberry » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:53 pm

All 3 of my kids can't even read at the age of 4+. My girls in P1 now and hv no prob reading chapter books (such as the ones by Enid Blyton & Cynthia Rylant). But no harm to start reading before 4yo, maybe can start off with sight words.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Always21 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm

I think they should know A-Z. Can play puzzles but reading?? I think maybe by 4.5 year old.

Always21
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Katetay » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Thanks for replies.

Sorry I don't mean story book. I meant like eg: you , like , she ,go, here....

3.5year old by now should know how many words? Because I haven teach her yet and would like to know how to start off. Her teacher comment she is the slowest in class. So getting abit worried.

Katetay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Always21 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:23 pm

My girl can. She just turns three. I guess as long as you find time talking and talking to her. Most likely she can pick up. They are like sponge.

Always21
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Wandi_flora » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:06 am

yeah, my kids love to sing along..esp commercial jiggles, hahaha!

Wandi_flora
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lovinglife » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:06 pm

The most effective way should be reading more to her. They will pick up sight words effortlessly. As for phonics & blending of sounds, I leave it to school teachers and enrichment centre. We only do reinforcement at home. My girl is 3yo too :)

lovinglife
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Katetay,

There is no standard answer to your question. Some kids start early, some start late. It depends on neurological readiness, readng readiness, exposure and instruction.

At 3.5, it is possible to drill in some sight words for most kids, as long as they are neurologically ready (eye tracking and directionality are the major ones). But I do not feel it is necessary to stress over it. I will only show them the most important words - their names, exit (for emergencies) and information (if they get lost).

You may want to clarify with the teacher what she meant by slow. Slow in picking up reading, or slow in understanding etc. Consider her daily life, if there are people talking and explaining things to her, engaging her etc.

If she is all right in other areas, only slow in picking up reading despite constant instructions, you can wait a bit longer, but read to her and continue to engage her in lively interesting stories. But take her for a eye check up if she falls down constantly or seems to rub her eyes a lot.

Bear in mind that for a young child, the barriers can be physical. The size of the words, and ability to track horizontally will affect their ability to read at a young age. If you want to start teaching your child, make sure the materials are visually comfortable for her and use a ruler or finger to help her track the words. if you decide to wait a bit more, just read to her consistently for now.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Katetay » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi all,

I will read books to her from now on.
Also I would like to know must use flash cards to recognize words anot?

Thanks all mummies for the advice.

Katetay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment