seeking opinions - English Proficiemncy for Upper Primary

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

seeking opinions - English Proficiemncy for Upper Primary

Postby sparks » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:33 pm

my ds command of English is not as good as I wish. I was quite alarmed when I saw that he spelt 'disappointment' & 'surprised' wrongly in his compo. He's in P6 now. :sweat:

I am thinking, in the long term, I would like him to brush up in his written & oral skills as I feel he may be disadvantaged if he doesn't have an adequate language proficiency at work. I hope it's not too late that I am thinking of EL enrichment courses for him. He has had tuition all this while & marks ranging 65-85. I am not really concerned with the mark aspect but rather his English proficiency.

May I know if anyone knows of any good centres that I can send my boy to for purpose of improving his English. I prefer small classes & teachers who are friendly & engaging. I have read rave reviews about Creative Horizons but not sure if my ds would fit in as the students there would have a min std of proficiency.

I really love to hear your opinions pls. Thanks!

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: seeking opinions

Postby Dreamgear » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:29 pm

sparks wrote:my ds command of English is not as good as I wish. I was quite alarmed when I saw that he spelt 'disappointment' & 'surprised' wrongly in his compo. He's in P6 now. :sweat:

I am thinking, in the long term, I would like him to brush up in his written & oral skills as I feel he may be disadvantaged if he doesn't have an adequate language proficiency at work. I hope it's not too late that I am thinking of EL enrichment courses for him. He has had tuition all this while & marks ranging 65-85. I am not really concerned with the mark aspect but rather his English proficiency.

May I know if anyone knows of any good centres that I can send my boy to for purpose of improving his English. I prefer small classes & teachers who are friendly & engaging. I have read rave reviews about Creative Horizons but not sure if my ds would fit in as the students there would have a min std of proficiency.

I really love to hear your opinions pls. Thanks!

U can send him in for the test first and decide from there... I have switched my dd from mindstretcher to creative horizon and she is enjoying her classes much more

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: seeking opinions - English Proficiemncy for Upper Primar

Postby sparks » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi Dreamgear, tks for your reply. May I know why did you decide to switch? Mindstretcher Bishan is just across my home so it's a really convenient centre to send my boy to.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby iFirefly » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi sparks..

If you are thinking along the line of cultivating long-term interest & proficiency in the English Language (speaking & writing well), instead of short-term gain in marks through drilling of test/exam papers, then you may wish to consider British Council (TPY) or Morris Allen (Bishan & AMK)..

My P5 boy attended a short Writing course (10 weeks) at Morris Allen (new branch at AMK coz the one at Bishan Comm Club was under renovation) recently. He enjoyed the lessons very much, as the teachers were very kind & encouraging. I have also noticed my DS2 speaking pretty well (less Singlish), maybe due to the exposure (albeit short) to the native speakers at MA.. :smile:

I am contemplating signing up for the regular English course at MA for my DS2. My only concern is that they are not so exam-focused, so we may not see any significant improvement in marks so soon. And PSLE is just next year.. :sweat: :nailbite:

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: seeking opinions - English Proficiency for Upper Primary

Postby nansk » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:46 pm

"Command over English" consists of several different skills. Spelling is just one part of it.

Is your concern mainly with his spelling abilities? If yes, you should
1. note down words he misspells and have him practise them regularly till he masters them.
2. explain the reason the words are spelled in a particular way, by referring to the common spelling rules.
3. have him work through a list of commonly misspelled words.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sparks » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:36 pm

firefly38 wrote:Hi sparks..

If you are thinking along the line of cultivating long-term interest & proficiency in the English Language (speaking & writing well), instead of short-term gain in marks through drilling of test/exam papers, then you may wish to consider British Council (TPY) or Morris Allen (Bishan & AMK)..

My P5 boy attended a short Writing course (10 weeks) at Morris Allen (new branch at AMK coz the one at Bishan Comm Club was under renovation) recently. He enjoyed the lessons very much, as the teachers were very kind & encouraging. I have also noticed my DS2 speaking pretty well (less Singlish), maybe due to the exposure (albeit short) to the native speakers at MA.. :smile:

I am contemplating signing up for the regular English course at MA for my DS2. My only concern is that they are not so exam-focused, so we may not see any significant improvement in marks so soon. And PSLE is just next year.. :sweat: :nailbite:

Hi firefly38, thanks again for your reply. MA sounds good for my boy (it's even nearer!) as I do not want the centre to be too exam focused but rather take a fun learning approach towards teaching the language.

I will find out more! THanks! :smile:

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment