Non-academic Enrichment Courses - Life Skills

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Non-academic Enrichment Courses - Life Skills

Postby DumboDad » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:08 pm

Anyone here feels the same way as I do?
I think our kids have too much academic pressure and classes - partly our own fault. It has become like an arms race where more is better.

I think we should relook at what can help our child be successful later in life - and so far research suggests that EQ is a better predictor of success than IQ.

So, anyone here thinks it's worthwhile to send our kids to such courses (if any at all) to develop life skills like creativity, resilience, teamwork etc?

DumboDad
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Non-academic Enrichment Courses - Life Skills

Postby Ran1977 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:45 pm

DumboDad wrote:Anyone here feels the same way as I do?
I think our kids have too much academic pressure and classes - partly our own fault. It has become like an arms race where more is better.

I think we should relook at what can help our child be successful later in life - and so far research suggests that EQ is a better predictor of success than IQ.

So, anyone here thinks it's worthwhile to send our kids to such courses (if any at all) to develop life skills like creativity, resilience, teamwork etc?

I agree. Any such to share?

Ran1977
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:03 pm

DumboDad wrote:Anyone here feels the same way as I do?

For Resilience and Team work - That is the role sports, especially team sports, plays. Joining a neighbour soccer/basketball team would be an idea ?

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby WhiZland_HG » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:07 pm

I truly agree on a holistic approach because each of the kids have their own potential in different areas to tap on. We hold camps for them to grow their self-esteem. (being confident do help)

WhiZland_HG
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby DumboDad » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:15 pm

Came across a programme that trains kids to be creative and resilient through entrepreneurship. I thought it's quite interesting because I think when our kids grow up they may have challenges fighting for jobs in the market, and entrepreneurship is an alternative path to success for those who are not necessarily academically top-of-the-class. I mean, start young, be inspired...maybe when my kid reaches JC he may become the next Zuckerberg? Nowadays got so many young rich minted Internet Millionaires overseas.

Then I can retire liao....hahahaha....

DumboDad
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Miracle Child » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi Dumbodad, which course is that?

Miracle Child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby belladonna » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Life skills, soft skills are definitely just as important to a child's development as academic education but I am doubtful of how we can formally teach such skills in a classroom.

I believe that children (and adults) need time and energy to not do anything – even the energiser bunny needs a break ever so often. A restful brain holds more power than a over-stimulated brain.

belladonna
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby DumboDad » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Agree that taking breaks are important. I am guilty of trying to cramp my kid with classes, but what to do? doing nothing and the kids get bored. There's only so many English, Math, L2 and Science classes to go to. I thought something non-academic would be a refreshing break, yet complements the learning processes. No tests and exams like music (which can be stressful..trust me.), but rather some activities or classes that exposes kids to values and soft skills in practise...resilience or bouncing back from failure, respect for each other (you see how some kids talk to maids and old folks clearing tables at hawker centres....feel like slapping them).....you know, things like that.

I chide my kids for being lazy and ordering my helper to fetch them water....they can do it themselves!

DumboDad
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Mentorship » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi All,

Agree that it is necessary for young children to be exposed to a wider variety of activities, so that they develop into holistic individuals.

While academic knowledge is important, it is not the only thing that is necessary for one to succeed in life. Social skills, the ability to think out of the box, communicate effectively, be resilient in the face of challenges and good health are equally important as well. It is also important that we measure our children's progress objectively and provide targeted assistance in areas where they need more improvement in.

We (Mentorship Education and Learning) have therefore developed a holistic enrichment program that combines academic classes, physical education, arts, music and life skills. Our program adopts an integrated learning approach as we believe that it is important for one to be able to effectively apply whatever skills and knowledge that they have. We have also developed a method to objectively determine the areas in which our students need more help. This method applies to both academic and non-academic areas.

For more information, you may visit: http://www.mentorship.sg or call 9670 7510

Mentorship
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment