My girl grades has dropped from B1(Pri 2) to B3(borderline)

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

My girl grades has dropped from B1(Pri 2) to B3(borderline)

Postby jennykhots » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Both her P3 Maths and Science results have deteriorated. I am a stayed home mum and I consistently coaches her and even comes up with formula for her to remember her science notes, But the school standard is just getting too high! I felt so disheartened, my 100% efforts did not pay off . Should I put her to Mind Stretcher or Just Education or Mavis? (Tampines outlet. I am putting at Bedok reservoir area. Advice please!!

jennykhots
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Stay Cool.

Postby all.in.one » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi Hi,

8) Stay Cool. Don't despair.
Find out which area costs her to lose the most
marks to start with.
Also, may be your method of coaching is not
in step with what the school teaches?
I can help on that if you can give more details.
(Home tutor for few years).

Most important, do not lose hope yet. P3 still
can catch up. Make full use of this holidays.

You must give your girl confidence.
Otherwise, she may also lose hope...

:?: Unfortunately, no experience with the centres you've named.
Anyone else knows about the centres?

all.in.one
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiasimom » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi.
I am in the same situation as you.
I coach my DS on all his subjects. Let him do top schools exam papers.
He managed to score around 90+ for his science.
However, when he told me just now he only gets 83 for his Science SA2 paper, my heart stopped beating for 2 seconds!!!!

I need to read through his exam paper when he brings it home on Thursday before I can find out where the problem lies...haiz :x

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:10 pm

For Science, it's not just about memorising and knowing the content knowledge. They need to be able to use correct 'keywords' & 'phrases' to explain certain experiments/concepts.

For Maths, many struggle with the sudden increase in difficulty with the questions, especially when the problem sums start to become multiple step questions (it used to be 1 or 2 steps in P1/2). The lack of knowledge in model drawing for problem solving will also hamper their progress.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:16 pm

kiasimom wrote:Hi.
However, when he told me just now he only gets 83 for his Science SA2 paper, my heart stopped beating for 2 seconds!!!!

I need to read through his exam paper when he brings it home on Thursday before I can find out where the problem lies...haiz :x

haaaaaa...u are very exaggerating :lol:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasimom » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:41 pm

vlim wrote:
kiasimom wrote:Hi.

haaaaaa...u are very exaggerating :lol:

Serious, cross my heart :heartbroken:

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasimom » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:42 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:For Science, it's not just about memorising and knowing the content knowledge. They need to be able to use correct 'keywords' & 'phrases' to explain certain experiments/concepts.

For Maths, many struggle with the sudden increase in difficulty with the questions, especially when the problem sums start to become multiple step questions (it used to be 1 or 2 steps in P1/2). The lack of knowledge in model drawing for problem solving will also hamper their progress.

Maybe my DS used the words that are not the keywords the teacher is looking at??!!

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:28 pm

kiasimom wrote:Maybe my DS used the words that are not the keywords the teacher is looking at??!!

Possible. Have they done corrections? If they have, look at the answers the teacher gave versus your child's answers. You can also ring the teacher to ask why your DS' answers are incorrect.

Sometimes students give wrong answers though the concept is correct due to wrong interpretation of the question. For example, the question starts with 'What' but the answer the child gives is for 'Why'. Definitely no marks even if the explanation is correct. Get what I mean?

And normally at P3/4, they don't really understand the differences between the keywords unless you explicitly teach them & practise enough with them. I normally also give the 'model answers' in terms of keywords & phrasing to help students know what is expected from them.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasimom » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:41 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:Possible. Have they done corrections? If they have, look at the answers the teacher gave versus your child's answers. You can also ring the teacher to ask why your DS' answers are incorrect.

Sometimes students give wrong answers though the concept is correct due to wrong interpretation of the question. For example, the question starts with 'What' but the answer the child gives is for 'Why'. Definitely no marks even if the explanation is correct. Get what I mean?

And normally at P3/4, they don't really understand the differences between the keywords unless you explicitly teach them & practise enough with them. I normally also give the 'model answers' in terms of keywords & phrasing to help students know what is expected from them.

Hi.
No, the teacher will only do the corrections on Thursday and DS will bring it home for me to see.
Will keep your points in mind when checking.
Hopefully can sniff out some points...hopefully...

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby acforfamily » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:45 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:For Science, it's not just about memorising and knowing the content knowledge. They need to be able to use correct 'keywords' & 'phrases' to explain certain experiments/concepts.

Agreed!

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment