Enrichment courses for pri and sec school kids?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Enrichment courses for pri and sec school kids?

Postby kiasuparentuser » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:25 pm

Hello, I am new to this forum.

I heard I can get some advice on enrichment for my kids.

How do I get them to be more motivated and self-disciplined?? Does Adam Khoo or Mindchamps do the trick because I read some negative comments on the other threads. How big are their classes?

My neighbour told me about a 1-to-1 personal coaching for students before, anyone else heard about it?

:shrug:

kiasuparentuser
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Enrichment courses for pri and sec school kids?

Postby ginake » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Too many enrichment programs in the market. Every program about the same. Mindchamps no difference, and much more expensive. I have a friend who spent many thousands of dollars on such enrichment lessons, and in the end u know what? She said the trainer did not even know her child's name after the program ended, cos so many students in one class, and her child is very quiet and results below average, and cannot understand the lessons but do not dare to raise hands.

Don't waste money la. My advice. Wait till something different comes, then maybe i will consider.

ginake
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby leedd19 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:23 pm

Can anyone list down all the top enrichment courses avail in the market so that we are aware of them?

I only know the usual ones like Mindchamps, Adam Khoo, Mindedge. My child has attended two of them but results still borderline....

leedd19
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby starz13 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Hello, I am new this forum too.  My child is attending P1 next year and I am looking at enrichment programs to help him before P1.  I am looking at Mind champ too cos of recommendations from frens. 

I think it depends on what your expectations are.  For me, I am not expecting my child to top the class /school and he is also not going to those top schools.  For P1 he must adapt to the transition from K2 to P1.  I can’t imagine the nightmare of having to struggle to put him on the sch bus every morning.  For me, the positive attitude towards learning is key.     

I did a bit of my own research.  Tuition format either in aclass or 1-on-1 caters to academic specific.  Other prgms like Adam Khoo, Mindedge and mind champ are more motivational and techniques.  Calculated the program fees, Mind champ is more long term cos according to their staff, it is more sustainable to switch the mindset.  Which I agree.  I used to go for training before I stopped working and u get all motivated right after but after a matter of days or weeks, we are back to normal. 

Anyway, I am keen to try out mind champ cos I still believe in not stressing my child over academic excellence.  Anyway with just 1 child, I am keen to try out programs with success stories as long as the fee is reasonable for me.

starz13
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Youngfather88 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi, I used to be confused by the numerous enrichment programs in the market too and I have checked out many many different ones for my son. Tho’ not every program is suitable, there will be one or two that fits the bill. So, do the research and if like my case, your child needs help to become inspired to study and at the same learn useful techniques to apply to school work and exams, then go for Mind Champs. My son has done well for PSLE and is now in the secondary school of his choice.

Youngfather88
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby starz13 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:30 am

Youngfather88 wrote:Hi, I used to be confused by the numerous enrichment programs in the market too and I have checked out many many different ones for my son. Tho’ not every program is suitable, there will be one or two that fits the bill. So, do the research and if like my case, your child needs help to become inspired to study and at the same learn useful techniques to apply to school work and exams, then go for Mind Champs. My son has done well for PSLE and is now in the secondary school of his choice.

You are right. U need to match the program to the needs of yr child. Its not 1 size fits all. With so many options, at least when i researched Mind champ their program is research based. More assured its gd for my kid. Will check out their PSLE program.

starz13
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lisayvonne » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:48 pm

There're lots of enrichments, such as kumon, T4L, IXL, beestar... We use beestar. She likes the challenging questions, neat stories. She also likes to compete with other kids from a lot of other states to won ribands.
Lisa

lisayvonne
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sheryltham » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:44 am

i've recently signed up my girl for a half day june camp on emotional intelligence by Jumpstart Academy Singapore - has anyone attended their workshops/camps before? was interested to try them out as they claim that they are able to help my girl be more motivated and learn how to control impulses better. been having trouble with her throwing a lot of tantrums lately and not wanting to do any of her school work. camp course seems reasonable so i took the chance to sign her up for it.

are the camp/workshops effective? they seem to be conducting the classes through fun activities (e.g. egyptian theme, masterchef theme), so i am wondering about the effectiveness compared to the usual sit down classes.

sheryltham
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby leapfrogworks » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:32 pm

sheryltham wrote:i've recently signed up my girl for a half day june camp on emotional intelligence by Jumpstart Academy Singapore - has anyone attended their workshops/camps before? was interested to try them out as they claim that they are able to help my girl be more motivated and learn how to control impulses better. been having trouble with her throwing a lot of tantrums lately and not wanting to do any of her school work. camp course seems reasonable so i took the chance to sign her up for it.

are the camp/workshops effective? they seem to be conducting the classes through fun activities (e.g. egyptian theme, masterchef theme), so i am wondering about the effectiveness compared to the usual sit down classes.

I am a tutor myself, heard about this Jumpstart Academy from my students. Apparently they are well known in improving the kid's emotion level. Seems decent and popular among students and parents I guess :smile:

leapfrogworks
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby leapfrogworks » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Check it out here _http://www.jumpstartsg.com/

leapfrogworks
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment