Debating Skills Training - Non competitive

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Debating Skills Training - Non competitive

Postby Poonie » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:33 pm

I have been looking around for a debating course for my lower sec daughters. Couldn't find any around. Those establishments that conduct such a course only cater to primary level kids. I finally found a few experienced coaches who can conduct lessons on debating. They are ex school debaters in sec sch, JC and some are even debating in university now. But they need a minimum of 6 to start a class.

Anyone who have lower secondary kids are interested to take up debating lessons? I have 2 kids so need 4 more. If interested please let me know. Intending to start the first lesson in a few week' time. Tentatively Saturday morning. Open to other time slots.

Skills that will be imparted include: effective strategies to construct arguments, rebuttal, thinking on ones feet with critical thinking skills, presentation skills, public speaking and research skills. When kids can articulate issues well they will be able to handle expository writing or argumentative writing at upper sec.

Cheers
Poonie

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Debating Skills Training - Non competitive

Postby Poonie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:03 pm

Poonie wrote:I have been looking around for a debating course for my lower sec daughters. Couldn't find any around. Those establishments that conduct such a course only cater to primary level kids. I finally found a few experienced coaches who can conduct lessons on debating. They are ex school debaters in sec sch, JC and some are even debating in university now. But they need a minimum of 6 to start a class.

Anyone who have lower secondary kids are interested to take up debating lessons? I have 2 kids so need 4 more. If interested please let me know. Intending to start the first lesson in a few week' time. Tentatively Saturday morning. Open to other time slots.

Skills that will be imparted include: effective strategies to construct arguments, rebuttal, thinking on ones feet with critical thinking skills, presentation skills, public speaking and research skills. When kids can articulate issues well they will be able to handle expository writing or argumentative writing at upper sec.

Cheers
Poonie

Forgot to mention the price. Coach charges $25 per hour per child. Each session is 1.5 hours.

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Poonie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:02 pm

Hi no one interested in sending your sec 1/2 kids for debating skills training? Is the proposed day not suitable? I am open to other alternative days.

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby happyheart » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi Poonie,
Is it possible to share more on the credential of the coaches, the venue and duration of the training?

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JJ1111 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:57 am

I am interested but would like to know more about the venue and timing.

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Poonie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:50 pm

happyheart wrote:Hi Poonie,
Is it possible to share more on the credential of the coaches, the venue and duration of the training?

Depending on when we can get a group together and the availability of the coaches. Meanwhile here's the credentials of the head coach:

DANIEL SELVAKUMAR

Daniel Selvakumar is a freelance debate and public speaking coach, and one of the co-founders of Thinkers’ Circle LLP.

As a debater, Daniel has had ten years of formal school debating experience. He represented Anglican High School four times in the annual Singapore Secondary Schools Debating Championships (Division 1) during his education there from 2003-2006, reaching the quarterfinals in 2004. He was also the President and Captain of the debating team in his two years as a student in Tampines Junior College, where he led his school in the annual MOE Invitational Debate Championships (MIDCs). Besides the annual national championships, he has participated in external competitions like the Victoria Junior College Invitational Debate Tournament and Anglo-Chinese Junior Collegiate Championships, among others. He is now a second year Social Sciences student at Singapore Management University and is an Executive Committee member of the university’s Debating Society as well. In December 2011, he represented SMU as an adjudicator at the World Universities Debating Championships in Manila, as well as the United Asians Debating Championships in Kuala Lumpur, where he judged the semi finals.

In addition, Daniel participated and won different awards in many oratorical tournaments including those organised by the Plain English Speaking Awards (PESA) and Toastmasters Singapore.

Daniel’s involvement in the Society of Associated Inter-tertiary Debaters (SAID) since 2007 has also allowed him to expand his debate portfolio as an adjudicator and coach. He has been invited to judge at tournaments like the SAID- Victoria School Secondary Schools Debate Invitational (2007), Meridian Junior College Inter Secondary Debate Invitational (2008-2010), Temasek Junior College Secondary School Debate Invitational (2008) and the World Scholars Cup (2008) just to name a few. In addition, he has helped SAID with its numerous debate coaching engagements, coaching debaters from Victoria School, Temasek Secondary School and Chong Zheng Primary School. In December 2007, Daniel co-led a delegation of his SAID colleagues to Hong Kong, where they were invited to train debaters from 9 of the top local and international high schools there. While he was there, he also planned, organized and executed a three-day debate competition involving the nine schools he taught at.

In 2009, Daniel branched out on his own and has started to carve a coaching career outside the umbrella of SAID. Since then, he has conducted debate/public speaking workshops at Anglican High School, and in mid 2009, he was appointed coach of the then newly formed Kent Ridge Secondary School Debate team, where he guided a group of first time debaters all the way to the Division 3 Grand Finals in the 2010 edition of the Singapore Secondary School Debating Championships (SSSDCs). The team also went on to achieve a quarterfinals placing in the 2011 SSSDCs. He assumed his current position as the Debate Coach of Temasek Secondary School in mid 2010 and saw them through their SSSDC 2011 campaign in Division 2. In 2012, he coached Temasek Secondary to the Quarterfinals of their division in SSSDC.

Daniel was also elected into the Executive Committee of the Debate Association (Singapore) in July 2011 and currently holds the portfolio of Director (Training)

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Poonie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:03 pm

JJ1111 wrote:I am interested but would like to know more about the venue and timing.

Hi
Venue: I can rent a classroom at Waterloo street.
Date of commencement: hope to start ASAP. How about in a couple of week' time?

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Poonie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:32 am

I forgot to add that you can also check out their website at: http://thinkerscircle.org/

Coaches have been coaching at schools hence they do not have permanent venue to conduct lessons.

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Poonie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Coach says in order for the kids to have effective learning, a programme of 8-10 lessons are recommended.

Any takers?

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby JJ1111 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:32 pm

Sorry Waterloo street is inconvenient to me.

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment