Help for my girl

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Help for my girl

Postby teddylover » Wed May 20, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi all,

I have a Primary 4 girl who has some learning issues and is struggling with her studies. She finds it hard to pay attention in school and has pretty bad handwriting. Her grades are suffering as a result. I used to think that it's just her growing up phase but it seems to be getting worse.

Any one has any recommendation on what should I do and where I can get help?

teddylover
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Help for my girl

Postby CatMoon » Thu May 21, 2015 11:02 am

Hi, may I ask what learning issues does she have?

While I don't exactly know what your girl is going through, I can tell you what we went through with my dd. She is now in Sec 4 Normal Acad.

Symptoms - She had always had difficulty sitting down to complete a task, was easily distracted, poor memory, terrible handwriting (still does) and poor grades. Teachers have always complained about her not completing her homework and class work and so were not able to grade her sometimes.

Diagnosis - At P4, we brought her to a private educational psychologist and got her tested. She was diagnosed with ADHD and was exempted for Chinese (as she was struggling with English and spelling, although her Chinese was ok). She is on Ritalin (to help her focus and calm her down, so she's not easily distracted).

Management - We had to micro-manage her everyday. We set up a daily routine with her and sat down to go through each lesson with her. We were her study buddies and her exam coaches (we worked closely with her teachers). And we still do.

Hope this helps. Talking to more parents about other alternatives may help you decide too.

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Michelle2015 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:23 pm

Dear Parent,

I am a full time therapy n tuition teacher. I saw your question in Kiasu Parents forum.

I have more than 17 years of teaching experience. I am offering group home based tuition for P1 to P4 students. Main subjects includes English, Mathematics and Science. If your child needs group tuition do let me know.
New June holiday lesson.

Regards,
Michelle

Michelle2015
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby teddylover » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:13 am

CatMoon wrote:Hi, may I ask what learning issues does she have?

While I don't exactly know what your girl is going through, I can tell you what we went through with my dd. She is now in Sec 4 Normal Acad.

Symptoms - She had always had difficulty sitting down to complete a task, was easily distracted, poor memory, terrible handwriting (still does) and poor grades. Teachers have always complained about her not completing her homework and class work and so were not able to grade her sometimes.

Diagnosis - At P4, we brought her to a private educational psychologist and got her tested. She was diagnosed with ADHD and was exempted for Chinese (as she was struggling with English and spelling, although her Chinese was ok). She is on Ritalin (to help her focus and calm her down, so she's not easily distracted).

Management - We had to micro-manage her everyday. We set up a daily routine with her and sat down to go through each lesson with her. We were her study buddies and her exam coaches (we worked closely with her teachers). And we still do.

Hope this helps. Talking to more parents about other alternatives may help you decide too.

Thanks for sharing. Should I get her diagnosed? What would that be used for and how much would that cost?

Would Ritalin be helpful? I'm quite concerned about feeding my girl pills.

I think your idea of a daily routine is excellent and I'll get started on it soon. Think having us by her side would help her alot.

teddylover
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby CatMoon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:01 pm

For diagnosis, you may wish to either go to:
1. the polyclinic to get a referral letter for the Child Guidance Clinic at the Health Promotion Board (HPB)
2. private educational psy clinic for children (more expensive but faster waiting time)

Depending on the diagnosis, the report may be able to help you either:
1. get aided support from the school
2. MT-exemption
3. more time for PSLE

As for medication, only the doctor can determine if needed.

From our subsequent visits to the educational psychologist, she taught us several teaching strategies - like drawing up daily timetable for study, using highlighters, mind-mapping, breaking down of information, etc. Most important is ROUTINE - like same study table, same daily study timing, quiet (no TV/radio/distractions), etc.

All these are to get our kids to learn about self-expectations (completing tasks), time management and routine. So sitting down with her encourages her to organise herself.

Hope this helps.

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nrlamira » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Hi,

You might want to check out http://www.singaporetuitionjobs.com/tui ... obs-forum/ .

You can view the available tutors based on their location and also read more about each tutor. :smile:

nrlamira
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby simshjason » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:32 am

Every child has his/her own way of learning. Some kids learn by auditory, while others by visual and kinesthetic method. Every child is also unique in their characteristics. I am working as a consultant on this that help parents understand their child better through fingerprinting analysis to find out the following:
a. Child's characteristic
b. Strength and weakness of the child
c. Multiple intelligence of the child such as the interpersonal skill, intrapersonal, logical, spatial and so forth
d. Innate ability of the child
e. The learning method in which the child absorbs best
f. Possible career selections based on the innate gifting of the child.

The method is non-intrusive where you get to understand your girl better. We also provide some guidance to the parents to show how to coach your girl in the way that fits her unique character. Micromanage your girl might not help without a clear understanding of her characteristic. We do not tell the future but rather we are able to tell you the natural gifts of your daughter.

How we do this is simply by taking her fingerprint and from there derive an analysis of her. We have done this for many parents and many of them had feedback that the accuracy of the report is about 80 - 94% and had helped them find a better approach to work with their children.

If you are keen to explore this, please feel free to contact me at jason@cloudacademy.com.sg. I can share with you more
Hope I can help.

simshjason
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment