Advise Needed

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Advise Needed

Postby chixchix » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:12 pm

Hii all , my older boy is in P1 and I have put him for external classes for another mother tongue language. My younger one is in K1 this year. We are a Non Mandarin speaking family. When I enrolled my boy in K1, I aske the teacher's advise and she told me that since my child cant speak Mandarin ,its better to enrol him in Malay as the characters are romanised.

Today morning while sending my older boy to external class, the taxi driver told me that I shouldnt have listened to the teacher and should have instead place my boy in mandarin instead for K1.

Now I am very very lost. He is studying Malay now and I dont see him taking it as a 2nd language when he goes P1 as the syllabus will get tougher. I am the only one the family who studied Malay and this is not our MT as well at home.

I am wondering whether its a good move for me if I enrol my younger boy in any Mandarin class now so that he will be prepared for P1 ..is it a move too late and I am doing the wrong thing ???

Does anyone have a good school to recommend , like Berries or Tien Hsia ?

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Mother Tongue As Second Language

Postby Bentan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:10 pm

At Singapore Math Chinese Tutor we deal with children with at least one non-Chinese parent (such as philipino, Indonesian, Australian). For whatever reason, their teachers advise them to take Chinese as second language. However, these teachers also request their parents to add extra dosage by sending them to enrichment classess and getting good tutors.

You may need to go back to the school again and ask them the pros and cons of switching from Malay to Chinese. Since your boy is in P1, he should be able to adapt to the switch, if required....

Bentan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:52 pm

chixchix,

You have PM :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment