Follow up with child's work after tuition / enrichment class

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Follow up with child's work after tuition / enrichment class

Postby Lynn2 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:15 pm

Hello all, esp for child who are in the upper primary.

Just wonder, do you follow up closely with your child's work after each tuition or enrichment class.

I have sent my girl to berries and dont really supervise closely.I know the enrichment is teaching them ahead.I dont really ask how far has her own school teacher has been teaching them.

Today, as there is a small test approaching, I picked up the chinese and guide her and to my horror, so many new vocab she used it wrongly and I question her why when all these are in the text.She told me her class teacher just makes them read the text.Am pretty sure my girl is also not paying attention.

Anyway, its good that I find out now as its only a few chapters and I begin to wonder, does that mean all children go tuition, they will do well...I wish to farm out, but looks like I still need to watch closely.

Just one cent of my sharing.

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Follow up after tuition

Postby Emma » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:55 pm

First I must admit I had not been a resonsible mum. I had been outsourcing my girl to a student care and a chinese tuition centre since she started P1. Now that she is in P3, I kinda suddenly woke up and realised I've not been involved enough/at all and when i start checking in with her, realised she has not been paying attention during the chinese tuition class and has not been doing the assessment books effectively while at the student care.
Although she has not done too badly at school, it seems now she has a lot to catch up with (by my standard). So i've been very ON, trying to coach her at night and during the weekends, but there is just not enough time.
I'm pretty exasperated and would appreciate any advice on how best to manage. The way i see it - she's weakest in Chinese and oral/creative writing for both Chinese and English.

Emma
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MMM » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:15 pm

It's just so true. There is a misconception that by sending the kids for enrichment lessons, we are actually farming out to the experts and we don't have to worry much.

I learnt that the hard way too with my 2 older kids. I never revise as I assumed that they had learnt "extras" from those classes. I realised that depending on the kids' character, they will end up differently. So truly benefit without revision but some will continue to be weak in the subject. I've 2 life examples at home to look at.

So yes, to ensure the effectiveness of enrichment programs, it's important to revise after class. This is particularly so for pre-schoolers. Eg. those chinese and english lessons they attend. We need to consistently revise with them to ensure that they learnt something but importantly retain the knowledge. Eg. character recognition.

For my older primary kids, I implemented nightly study time since beginning of last year. Despite that, I also realised that there is so much to do and so little time. It's not possible to fully revise all that they learnt as sometimes time are being spent on completing school/ enrichment lessons homework.

Meanwhile for my K1, I just saw her teacher today. They said she is a fast learner and very easy to teach and has huge potential. BUT... she learn fast she also forget fast..... so to overcome that, we need to implement nightly revision with her which I am going to do from term 2 once she change her pre-school. I strongly believe that she would be able to achieve so much more when we do that.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Charmaine_chong » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi,

I believe in revision and reinforcement at home.

Even though my eldest is only 4yo. I pay a lot of attention and coaching him at home. I simply don't trust enrichment would solely do a great job.

I see a great failure from my cousins who used to attend so many tuitions during school days. I would say their results were terrible. Her parents just spending time watching cantonese shows in the past.

So, this has been silently cultivate their interest in cantonese shows without interest in reading.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pokemon » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:38 am

i am very sure cant depend on tuition alone. if tuition its only once a wk e.g chinese, and u dun revise or go thru with them at home, they may hv forgotten what they have learnt, with blur blur mind they go for the next lesson and all the problem will build up. Its very sad alot of parents send their kids to ex tuition cls and thought their kids shd be in gd hands. There maybe some exception if the kids themselves are v self-motivated.

pokemon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby luvmum » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:31 am

Definitely second to it. I've been sending my child for enrichment classes and each time I will make effort to go through the worksheets and let them know the errors that they made esp so for her piano though I have zero background. I've been doing that consistently for my elder girl but not my boy. I decided I need to do likewise for him though it's extremely tiring to juggle 2. But for the benefit of the knowledge and understanding gained, it's worth sparing the time, however fatigue u are. :love:

Being a freelance teacher myself, I always remind the parents to reinforce the practice at home. Meeting once a week and expecting the child to grasp the concepts fully is simply not possible, esp when child is in a group setting where the teacher's time is divided among all the kids. :celebrate:

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:50 pm

Many parents have forgotten what the true purpose of tuition is for. Many under-achieving kids in languages are lacking in practice in spelling and it is really impossible to expect tutors to suddenly turn them into good spellers within that 1.5-2 hrs/week sessions without neglecting other core skills.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nicole21 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:21 pm

I see you stressed out mom coaching the kids and I'm getting scared. My kid is only K1 and I don't send her for any other class, only her kindergarten. Am I irresponsible?

Nicole21
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MMM » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Nicole21 wrote:I see you stressed out mom coaching the kids and I'm getting scared. My kid is only K1 and I don't send her for any other class, only her kindergarten. Am I irresponsible?

Do I need to scare/ stress you further with what we are doing with our K1???

Everyone is different and subscribe to different school of thoughts when it comes to educating their little ones. I've seen parents who never believe in enrichment and yet the child top the level. So it really depends on what your beliefs are and what you are trying to achieve.

For me, I choose to be KS and i believe with the proper classes and family support, she can do so much more. There is no right and wrong answer.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mummy of 2 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Agreed. Also every child is different - some may do better if left on their own.

But I also prefer to push my child a bit :wink:

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment