GEP and IQ

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP and IQ

Postby mashy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:10 pm

Any correlation between getting into GEP and IQ? Does having a high IQ means the child will go into the prog or it all depends on the GEP entry test? Anyone has a high IQ child but didn't pass the entry test?

mashy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: GEP and IQ

Postby dovetail » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:30 pm

My child in GEP but I never know her IQ. Did observe much precosity from her when she was very very little. Could tell she was different. I think some high IQ ones may not pass the GEP test

1. They get outdone by those who were trained ( very sad)
2. They don't have the maturity or interest to feel relevance in academic subjects.

dovetail
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jtoh » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:36 pm

The GEP test isn't exactly an IQ test. The GEP test comprises three components - Math, English and General Ability. The GA component is the closest to IQ tests but not exactly. So someone who's tested high on an IQ test may not do well in the GEP components.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mashy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:01 pm

Oic. Thanks! So it actually depends on how much advanced work they have done right? Like P3 doing p6 or more level.

Guess my son won't make it since its emphasis is on english and maths. His strength is science. Reading p3-4 science text now and he is going p1 next yr.

mashy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby drickymummy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi Mashy,

Just want to share that my child is not in anyway more far advanced than his peers who can even memorize the periodic table! He do mantain his EMS in the 90s.. But we kind of figured out that's the best he can go and were happy with it..

I still dunno how he got in to gep since he is never the top in his class or sch.. He does has his little smarty moments sometimes but more of little monster who loves playing on his computer all the time..

We had never trained him for GEP or wat so ever cos dun even think that he ever stand any chance seriously. That why we r worried if he can ever cope with the program since he had never had any trainings that some might have gone thru.. But we will just take a small step at a time to guide him thru and let him learn to enjoy the program.

Let child child develop and explore on his own.. Since he is already quite a reader and thinker.. I am sure he will do very well too..

drickymummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mashy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Drickymummy

The only reason why I thought he may like to be in GEP is becoz of the science program which is his passion. It may open up windows for him to do what he loves. He is tested to have a high IQ but otherwise he doesn't like to write and doesn't sit still for lessons. I am wondering if he can even score well for his exams next time if he doesn't like to write. Hahaha.

mashy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shalomger » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:28 am

We also didn't hothouse our DS. No tuition and no enrichment classes. We kinda know he is pretty bright but didn't think he'd get into GEP. He is also passionate about Science & History and is an avid reader. :)

I think with regards to GEP, do not be overly anxious. To this date no one knows how they decide on who gets through. DS's schoolmate who got through with him was not top girl or anything & was often thought to be talkative, and as such, assumed to be disruptive in class due to her inquisitive nature. She didn't finish the paper and DS didn't either but they both got through. :)

Doesn't mean all GEP students were former top students so rest assured. :)

shalomger
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby dovetail » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:44 am

Mashy,

With regards to writing, I think it is just a 'boy' thing. Most of them need more time for this. The selection test, does not test on writing but more on comprehension, vocab, I think. If he doesn't write too well but does have a habit of reading deeply, it'll help.

dovetail
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby drickymummy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:13 pm

mashy wrote:Drickymummy

The only reason why I thought he may like to be in GEP is becoz of the science program which is his passion. It may open up windows for him to do what he loves. He is tested to have a high IQ but otherwise he doesn't like to write and doesn't sit still for lessons. I am wondering if he can even score well for his exams next time if he doesn't like to write. Hahaha.

your child is only gg P1 next yr..dun worry too much..my boy starts late in writing a n reading ..he loves IQ games and puzzles and is good only in his math before P1..but he is doing fine though not that the super fantastic kind..but wat's the rush? how many can be perfect in everything? If your ds really loves science that much, u can enrich him at home with science experiments/books, gg for science class outside like science olympiad..If my boy likes it and sch dun offer it, I will not sit and wait but go look for suitable places to send him to...

I cannot comment much abt GEP science since DS is just gg in.. I kind of feel like if your passion becomes something that is marked and graded, it might just kills the interest..For high ability kids who dun make it to GEP, many sch also offer many opportunity for the child to take part in science competitions/ workshops too..

Hope your child will have a great start for P1 first yah..

drickymummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mashy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:53 pm

Drickymummy

Hahaha. Thanks! It is a challenge preparing him for pri 1. I was just wondering aloud if there is this possibility. Not that I am planning his route for him right now since I don't even know if he can even adapt to the system. :)

mashy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to GEP