Not all GEPpers do the math olympiad

Some non-GEPpers also do the math olympiad

The school will decide who to send
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:54 pm

cckmom wrote:Have few questions.

1. For Olympiad - Will all children (GEP) be allowed to sit for the exam or only selected. My Son in P4 GEP.

2. When coming to choosing a project , will it have any impact on the DSA for example children who choose science/ maths have better change than those who choose Social Studies.

:?:

1. Maths Olympiad, for P5 organise by NUSH, known as NMOS. For P6, organised by RI - RIPMWC, HCI - SMOPS/APMOPS. Some schools open competition to gepers/mainstreamers, some restrict to those in AMEC/Maths clubs. Check with school.

2. I haven't heard of any geper not selected for dsa because of the project they did/didn't do. BTW, I'm not sure what project you're refering to. All projects assigned are compulsory, so you cant choose whether to do maths/science/social studies project..unless you're refering to the P5 IRS/CmPS/IvP

Generally, students decide themselves which project to include in the portfolio, and interview qns asked could be about the project.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:59 am

Way2GO wrote:
tamarind wrote:I wonder if anyone has read this ? If what he said were true, then GEP does not seem to be able to help a truly gifted child.
http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/

vlim wrote: chim don't quite understand

There was some discussion of this in another thread.
If I find it, I will post here.
Cawley's blog sounds very lop-sided in retrospect.

If GEP is really supportive of his son, I don't see why he has to leave Singapore and go to Malaysia instead. It costs a lot of money and effort to move to another country.

In any case, I think may be his son did not pass the GEP selection test :wink: That's why GEP does not think that he is gifted.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:15 am

tamarind wrote:
Way2GO wrote:
tamarind wrote:I wonder if anyone has read this ? If what he said were true, then GEP does not seem to be able to help a truly gifted child.

If GEP is really supportive of his son, I don't see why he has to leave Singapore and go to Malaysia instead. It costs a lot of money and effort to move to another country.

In any case, I think may be his son did not pass the GEP selection test :wink: That's why GEP does not think that he is gifted.

The GEP selection test is not 100% foolproof, nor is it the best gauge

Seen so many students who outperformed the GEPpers even in P4, P5 (to dispel the notion of late developers)...as some who got into GEP by sheer hothousing but find it a challenge later on in the program and just drift along
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby traineeks » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:26 am

tamarind wrote:
Way2GO wrote:

I happen to stumble on his blog one or two years ago. At that time I cannot help but get the impression that there were a lot of negative comments and many sweeping statements made - not just in the area of the education system but also on the culture and the social behavior of people here.

So I was not surprised when the newspaper article appeared a week ago filled with negative comments on MOE and the schools he had been to.

I believe that MOE and the schools are not saying too much publicly to avoid any damage to the ego and personality of the boy. I do think that the father had been given reasons why MOE or the schools had designed a different path for him. It is different from his expectation and so cannot accept them.

I think he is better of in the Malaysian education system. But again I will not be surprise at all if we hear of his complaints of Malaysia in another few months.

traineeks
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cckmom » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:27 am

vlim wrote:

1. For Olympiad - Will all children (GEP) be allowed to sit for the exam or only selected. My Son in P4 GEP.

2. When coming to choosing a project , will it have any impact on the DSA for example children who choose science/ maths have better change than those who choose Social Studies.

hi,

qn 1. Was told the some olympiad competitions are meant for p5 & p6 and some only for p6 (if I am not wrong). You can check it out with your son school's maths teacher as I am not too sure too :wink:

qn2. Social Studies and science both have compulsory projects to be done for the p4 and p5 gepers. Regarding how their results affect their dsa...probably got to seek comment from parents whose gepers kids have gone thru the dsa....

thnx Vlim. Teacher replied that she will check with HOD...

cckmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cckmom » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:30 am

mathsparks wrote:

1. Maths Olympiad, for P5 organise by NUSH, known as NMOS. For P6, organised by RI - RIPMWC, HCI - SMOPS/APMOPS. Some schools open competition to gepers/mainstreamers, some restrict to those in AMEC/Maths clubs. Check with school.

2. I haven't heard of any geper not selected for dsa because of the project they did/didn't do. BTW, I'm not sure what project you're refering to. All projects assigned are compulsory, so you cant choose whether to do maths/science/social studies project..unless you're refering to the P5 IRS/CmPS/IvP

Generally, students decide themselves which project to include in the portfolio, and interview qns asked could be about the project.

Hi Mathsparks , Ya I am refering to IRS P5 where they needto choose a specify project. what I am concerned for ex if my son wants to join NUS maths & science school but he had IRS project / whatever in social studies will it have any impact to his chance in getting in to the school when compared to the other student who have science/maths project.

cckmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:33 am

mathsparks wrote:

hi cckmom.
mathsparks had given a more detail info. pls refer attached...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

GEP - HOW MANY STUDENTS HAVE GOT VIA DSA to the IP schools .

Postby cckmom » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:35 am

how can we get the complete list for GEP 2009 PSLE - HOW MANY STUDENTS HAVE GOT VIA DSA to the IP schools and how many didnt manage to get to IP school. can parents share....

cckmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Way2GO » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:37 am

tamarind wrote: If GEP is really supportive of his son, I don't see why he has to leave Singapore and go to Malaysia instead. It costs a lot of money and effort to move to another country.

Think he demands more than what MOE was prepared to give. Papers reported that his son was being offered a scholarship at the M'sian uni and also given him a job.

It's unfortunate he left on a sour note and played the race card.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres