LEARNConcierge

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby ngbrdad » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:31 pm

vlim wrote::thankyou: fruitiplus :please:


Thanks fruitplus.
Must go and hunt for the book tomorrow.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:28 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby htn » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:07 pm

fruitplus wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:
hexagon wrote:DS's SS teacher gave them a list of topics to study for the SS prelims -:
i) Our Education
ii) Our Industries
iii) Our Transport
iv) Future Problem Solving
v) SEA

Check with your DS, he should have a list too with details on the areas to be tested on. 2 more weeks to go and looks like a lot to cover.

Just got the notice from DS.
The best thing is there is no notes/handouts for all these topics.
How to study ?



From DS past few years's experience, it seems to help by going thru the Sec 3's History assessment book (I bought the CASCO's one if I remember correctly) for P6's SS.

Sec 1 History - P4 SS
Sec 2 History - P5 SS
Sec 3 History - P6 SS

The answers required for SS in P4/P5/P6 is much shorter and much less in-depth compare to History in Sec 1/2/3. But for revision purpose, the topics, main points and summary covered in the assessment book seems to help in SS's exams in P4/5/6.

P.S. Zann may be able to share her experience with you. I shared with her about the CASCO History assessment book either last year or the year before.



fruitiplus

Hi, what is the title of the assessment book?Who is the author?How does the cover looks like?
Thanks

htn
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:28 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby vlim » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:16 pm

ngbrdad wrote:
vlim wrote::thankyou: fruitiplus :please:


Thanks fruitplus.
Must go and hunt for the book tomorrow.

Just now went to popular Book store at heartland mall ... Cannot find le ..those history book which I found, the topics not same le .... Maybe the sec school change syllabus Liao... :scratchhead: .. Anyway time is running out so most likely will just ask my ds to study Ss p6 text nooks and school notes and worksheet .... :roll:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: All About GEP

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:18 pm

HDistinction wrote:
CMF wrote:
phtthp wrote:can advise my friend ? ... Thanks v much!

my friend's son (P3 this year) at Henry Park - if offered a GEP place, is it better to stick to HPPS, or transfer him to Nanyang, since both are GEP centres ?

The GEP program would be the same in all the GEP centres. Both HPPS and Nanyang are co-ed & have no affiliated sec school. In my view, there is no difference being in either school, perhaps would come down to convenience of location of school, what sort of school culture is preferred and any perception that one may have on which school has a "better" teaching methodology?


Fr what I know, NYPS students can get in NYG & HC with lower PSLE score. I asked "if I shd let mine went NYPS or Tao Nan" bef...finally decided to let mine got into NYPS.


NYPS girls can go NYGH with minimum PSLE score of 250, amunting to a discount of 12 to 13 points, depending on each year's cut off point

NYPS boys have ABSOLUTELY no discount getting into HCI
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: All About GEP

Postby jtoh » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:33 am

HDistinction wrote:
CMF wrote:
phtthp wrote:can advise my friend ? ... Thanks v much!

my friend's son (P3 this year) at Henry Park - if offered a GEP place, is it better to stick to HPPS, or transfer him to Nanyang, since both are GEP centres ?

The GEP program would be the same in all the GEP centres. Both HPPS and Nanyang are co-ed & have no affiliated sec school. In my view, there is no difference being in either school, perhaps would come down to convenience of location of school, what sort of school culture is preferred and any perception that one may have on which school has a "better" teaching methodology?


Fr what I know, NYPS students can get in NYG & HC with lower PSLE score. I asked "if I shd let mine went NYPS or Tao Nan" bef...finally decided to let mine got into NYPS.


Do you have a son or dd in NYPS? Because NYPS boys do not get affiliaton points for entry to HCI. Only the girls have a lower COP for entry to NYGH, currently standing at 250.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11193
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 100



Re: All About GEP

Postby leeven » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:19 am

NMOS 2011 : top 6 students (of top 20 who attend the training) who attend IMSO -Philiphines should be announced yesterday. My DS and his friends did not get any email so I think no :cry: . Most of the students who attended are from GEP schools so posting the question here.

Any one got in ?.

leeven
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby ex-teacher » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:55 am

Hi. About the SS exam topics,
my daughter is in sec 2 and a few days ago, I saw the topics on transport and agriculture[SEA topic] in the sec 2 geography textbook 'earth and home'. There are questions in the workbook that look like the questions in the last GEP exam! We only can't find any resources on 'industries' and i have resorted to surfing the net. Anyone else has resources to share?

ex-teacher
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:45 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby creativityxoxo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:33 pm

Parents that pay thousands of dollars to try to get their children into GEP:
Yes, GEP is a coveted programme.
Yes, GEP allows your dd/ds to be able to have a higher chance of getting into an IP school.
But bear in mind that the programme is immensely challenging. Your child will have to juggle tonnes of projects and lots of HW and at the same time prepare for the all-important PSLE. And if you PUSH for your child to get into GEP by loads of tuition classes, ask yourself: Will he/she be cope? Will he/she be able to manage?
If he/she cannot, then it will seriously jeopardize his PSLE score!

So, the best thing to do is to just let your child take the GEP tests. If he/she is gifted, he/she will get in. If he/she is not so gifted, then he/she won't. It's for the best, trust me. This is spoken by a mummy who has experience of being a GEP mummy! (it's not easy!)

creativityxoxo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:10 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby leeven » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:28 pm

I really agree with creativityxoxo . My DS in GEP P5. Lots of stress to finish the projects , peer pressure. subject difficulty. Atleast you can see few students are not able to hope . :smile:

leeven
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby raysusan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:27 am

creativityxoxo wrote:Parents that pay thousands of dollars to try to get their children into GEP:
Yes, GEP is a coveted programme.
Yes, GEP allows your dd/ds to be able to have a higher chance of getting into an IP school.
But bear in mind that the programme is immensely challenging. Your child will have to juggle tonnes of projects and lots of HW and at the same time prepare for the all-important PSLE. And if you PUSH for your child to get into GEP by loads of tuition classes, ask yourself: Will he/she be cope? Will he/she be able to manage?
If he/she cannot, then it will seriously jeopardize his PSLE score!

So, the best thing to do is to just let your child take the GEP tests. If he/she is gifted, he/she will get in. If he/she is not so gifted, then he/she won't. It's for the best, trust me. This is spoken by a mummy who has experience of being a GEP mummy! (it's not easy!)
:goodpost: :goodpost:

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1417
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:13 pm
Total Likes: 6


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge