Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: GEP Selection test 2008

Postby tamarind » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:38 pm

Vanilla Cake wrote:Booklet B, Q8
This question came with a diagram.It was a square with 2 diagonals crossed at the centre of the square.The length of each diagonal of the square was 8 cm.Find the area of the square.

My younger sister told me that her neighbourhood primary school's Maths teacher didn't teach her how to solve this kind of question - Booklet B, Q8 at P3 level as this was not in her school's P3 syllabus.Not fair and as expected, she got this wrong due to ignorance.

Sorry to say this, but gifted children are supposed to know things which are far beyond their school syllabus.

This question is easily solved using the Pythagorean theorem. I am not sure at what level do they teach this theorem ? It is a simple theorem, I am not surprised that a 9 year old child who is highly gifted in maths would know about this theorem.

I will be truly shocked if they test the P3 child on differentiation and integration.

But I want to say that you have a very bright sister, and she is highly motivated, which is most important.

However, a gifted child should be able to learn things on their own. For example, he/she can just read a secondary maths text book and learn. Or take a biology book and read all about biology.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:45 pm

vicky wrote:In my opinion, it would be better if parents can avoid to post GEP questions online as it may let some intended parents to prepare their child into the programme which is not fair to those students who do not explore to this type of questions obtained from internet. Preparation is discouraged by MOE and this is the reason why the past year paper of GEP test is not available for the public.

Even if the questions are not posted, GEP preparatory courses still abound. And there are plenty of Math Olympiad questions that are much harder than those posted so far, to be found in bookstores. The only way to prevent parents from trying to prepare their children for GEP is to remove the GEP programme in the first place.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby EN » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:57 pm

Tamarind wrote:
Sorry to say this, but gifted ch ildren are supposed to know things which are far beyond their school syllabus.

Question 3 can be solved using creativity (draw another square along with the inner diagonal lines) & P3 math has already covered area (L X B).

It is a test of out of the box thinking or for a gifted kids, they are motivated enough to "devour" math syllabus a few years ahead.

Hello Vanilla Cake

Both you and your sister are extremely bright kids. Wishing you both all the best in your studies.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:24 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:The only way to prevent parents from trying to prepare their children for GEP is to remove the GEP programme in the first place.

I agree. Actually from this thread, I realize that there are parents who are making using of the GEP to get their kids into better schools, or rather, more famous schools. I think that defeats the purpose of the GEP. It has become like an entrance exam.

EN wrote:It is a test of out of the box thinking or for a gifted kids, they are motivated enough to "devour" math syllabus a few years ahead.

I agree with you about thinking out of the box. Either the kids are motivated enough to learn on their own, or their parents can make them study maths which are far beyond their level in school. This is already happening in many enrichment schools.

My hubby tried to teach my 5 year old girl about negative numbers. He is not trying to get her into the GEP. He just think that it is an interesting concept to teach a child. This is his way of bonding with the kids.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

IQ math for GEP

Postby dream » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:30 pm

[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

Any one has an idea if any class is offered to perpare for the GEP math exam?

dream
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: IQ math for GEP

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:38 pm

dream wrote:Any one has an idea if any class is offered to perpare for the GEP math exam?

We generally don't advise parents to prepare their children for GEP.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: GEP Selection test 2008

Postby Fairy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:12 am

mumwgals wrote:
ChiefKiasu wrote: If not, then I would say she is definitely gifted in being able to remember what she went through up to this level of details! She has nothing to be ashamed of.

Yah, it's amazing that she could remember so many question. My gal only managed to remember a couple of the english question. Ask her about Math, she said she couldn't remember anything... :roll:

My son took the GEP selected tests in 2005. When I asked him what the questions were, he could not recall. All he said then was that they were easy questions testing on logical thinking. Back then, I actually doubted his confidence as he has been a very self assured child. I have never doubted his intelligence but was still surprised (but happy) when he was selected for the programme.

In 2006, my younger child was also eligible for the selection tests. Much as I wish he could 'give his sibling some clues' regarding the stuff tested, he still could not recall any of the questions.

He has always been like that. After every exam, I would try to ask him about the questions set. His reply was always "It's not difficult, but I don't memorise the questions!". Again, after his PSLE this month, he is unwilling to talk about the questions, even when probed. I hope he will do well.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:52 am

Vanilla Cake wrote:My younger sister (P3) and I (P6) are currently in the same school.

OMG! If you had not revealed that you are in P6, I would have believed that you are another parent. If my kids are half as mature and bright as you, I would be so HAPPY. 8)

Your parents must have been so proud of you 2. All the best and enjoy your vanilla and pandan cakes! :)

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: GEP Prep For Primary 2 and 3

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Mei Ling wrote:...Fortunately, we got him a GEP trainer to expose him to the GEP General Ability Paper, Maths and English for a year. The practice questions and methods taught by the GEP trainer is really useful...

Hi Mei Ling, could you share with us the reasons why you feel your son need to be trained for GEP?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: GEP Prep For Primary 2 and 3

Postby raysusan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:53 pm

Mei Ling wrote:[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

Hi Everyone!

Do you know that the Pri 3 GEP Screening and Selection Test is much harder this year? During the GEP Selection Test, he find the GEP Mathematics Paper challenging and he only has 10 mins to check. Fortunately, we got him a GEP trainer to expose him to the GEP General Ability Paper, Maths and English for a year. The practice questions and methods taught by the GEP trainer is really useful.

Hopefully, we will know the GEP result next week! :)

Meiling
wow you really invest $ to train your kid for that GEP
so what is going to happen after 'if' he pass the GEP?

btw all the best to your kid and his result :)

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge