35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby ck123 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:36 am

I had the following feedback too:

My nephew who went through the gifted screening but refuses to change school and has no regret until today. He got in to RI too.

My friend son got into gifted and was very happy cause he can use a lower PSLE score to get into top school. He scored something like 250 and got into Hwa Chong while normal child might have to score at least 275 to get in.

ck123
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby gifted » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:58 pm

Last year, I had this problem with my girl too. I told her I was curious on the setting of screening and wat kind of question she was expected to answered. I told her the outcome is not important and she need not to specially prepared for it but she had to do her best. I told her to make her own decision and we would respect whatever decision she made. She asked wat if she get through, wat will happen to her? I told her we would only discuss the matter if she really get through. After some thought, she decided to give a tried. :wink:

gifted
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby wswslim » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi Gifted

Pls advise how to apply GEP Test & where is the place?

Thks,
WS

wswslim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby gifted » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi wswslim,

Every P3 students in Singapore will get the chance to go through this screening if you sign up the consent form that the child brings home. There will be 2 round of tests. The 1st round will conduct in their own school for Math and English sometime in August. If the child manage to get through the 1st round, he/she will be invited to the 2nd round and this time it will be conducted in 2 days in a primary school selected by MOE. One day for English and a general paper and the next will be Math and a general paper. Both test will take about half a day each.

gifted
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MMM » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:28 pm

My mum has a ex-neighbour whose daughter studied in neighbourhood school and then she got into GEP at TNS. She subsequently went on to Nanyang.

But when she is around sec 1, she started to lag behind and couldn't cope with the academics that the mum was called in and told by the school that she needed tuition,etc... to help her cope. One of their relatives mentioned that it was through alot of practise of assessments, drilling, etc... when the girl was younger that enable the girl to cope well in primary school and hence getting into GEP,etc...

But in sec school, it is a diff ball game hence the girl just wasn't able to cope anymore and started to lag behind. I guess it must be stressful for the girl and I don't know how she is taking it from a self-esteem/ self-confidence point of view.

Along this line, I was just thinking the definition of "gifted". Is it man made (eg. through drilling) or god given...

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tamarind » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:12 pm

This has been discussed in the other thread "Any parents of gifted children"

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=135

There are parents who believe that their children can get into the GEP by drilling. Some of these children do succeed, and this shows that the GEP selection process is not good enough to identify truly gifted children.

Who knows, some truly gifted children may be denied entry into the GEP ? While those who are not really gifted can enter ?

In any case, I think we as parents should understand the teaching methods of GEP, and consider whether it is suitable for your children. Not all highly gifted kids are suited to the same style of teaching. I believe that some gifted kids may do even better under the traditional methods of teaching.
Last edited by tamarind on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heutistmeintag » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:38 pm

I am just wondering aloud if there is a child who is gifted but late developer? If there is, I guess the child will be disadvantaged by the GEP screening and this unfortunate situation may need the screening to be conducted at several levels instead of just at P3..

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:00 pm

heutistmeintag wrote:I am just wondering aloud if there is a child who is gifted but late developer? If there is, I guess the child will be disadvantaged by the GEP screening and this unfortunate situation may need the screening to be conducted at several levels instead of just at P3..

GEP is not the ultimate label for being gifted.
If the late developer is indeed gifted, he/she will have a lot of doors open for him/her in the future if the parents know how to harass the giftedness.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tamarind » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:15 pm

jedamum wrote:GEP is not the ultimate label for being gifted.
If the late developer is indeed gifted, he/she will have a lot of doors open for him/her in the future if the parents know how to harass the giftedness.

I agree. Even before there is GEP, gifted kids were never denied the chance to excel in our education system.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:05 pm

Yes, I was confronted by my son with the call for GEP screening a couple of days back. My son asked me if he can go for it. I said, sure you can, but do you know what it is all about. He said that it is about how well he can do in English and Math. So I asked him if he thinks being good in English and Maths makes a person "gifted". He says yes, but what about those good in Chinese and Science but not in English? You are right... I said, and how about being good in drawing, craftsmanship, drama, IT, salesmanship, organization, presentation, and being able to convince and lead people? Are being talented in those things not counted as being gifted too? No, he said, I think they are gifted too. So do you need to go for an English and Maths test to let someone tell you whether you are gifted or not? You are already a very special and gifted child to me already, I said. He was quiet.

I signed the form and asked him to decide for himself if he wants to go. He took some time to decide, and finally chose no, not because of what I said, but because he doesn't want to have to switch to another school and lose all his friends if selected :? .

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge