Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Emelyn » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:35 pm

Can anyone advise me where I can send my son for GEP training ?
Sorry for being so shallow, but I think this is the only way to go. It is for my son's future !!

Imagine having a PSLE score of 240 and can still get into ACS(I), just because you are from GEP. That's really very attractive.

Sad Sad.

Forced by circumstances !!

Emelyn
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:49 pm

lizawa wrote:
ks2me wrote:As for those truly gifted but do not get thru the test, it is unfortunate that there is no alternative for them to re-enter GEP program again.

They cannot choose to re-enter the Primary GEP but there is always another chance at the secondary level, at least for the 2 IP schools I know. For RI and HCI, at Sec 1, they actually group the students who were from GEP Primary and mainstream into different classes. But if you have performed exceptionally well during the DSA entrance exam, they will place you with the GEP students in Sec 1. But eventually, by end Sec 2, the students of both streams will be "on par".

The GEP program is supposed to be robust, intellectually challenging and requires lots of independent study. So for late bloomers who are not picked up at P3 level, this will be another opportunity for them. And I have heard stories that not all GEP Primary students do well at secondary level.

Thanks Lizawa, good to know that there is an alternative for the kids who missed the boat.

Postby lizawa » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:52 pm

Emelyn wrote:
Imagine having a PSLE score of 240 and can still get into ACS(I), just because you are from GEP. That's really very attractive.

!!

If the child can get in ACS(I) with 240, he must have gone through the DSA path. It's not necessary that all GEPers will get offered through DSA, but many will. Your child still need to sit through all the various tests / interviews before he is offered. A bright child in mainstream can surely score more than 240. The top student in most neighbourhood schools do score more than 265, in the past few years. Last year was really an exception, maybe 270 - 280 ?

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:56 pm

tamarind wrote:I totally agree with your proposal :D

I think they should just come out with the something to honour the top students, it does not have to be scholarships. It could be just to have their names engraved in a prominent place in the Istana :lol: Or ask the president to shake hands and take photos will do :lol: That should be good enough to bring honor to the family.

I feel that if we have 2 students who have the perfect scores, the scholarship should go to the one whose family has a lower income. I heard a rumor, don't know whether it is true or not, that if a student has special skills like knowing how to play the piano, then he has a higher chance of getting scholarships ? This again, is elitist, because lower income families may not be able to send their kids for music lessons.

Yr idea is a good one since all funds can go to needy kids. :D

During our time, learning piano is probably elitist but learning music has probably become more affordable for many people like handphones?? Cos everyone I know has kids who are learning some form of music. I suppose all being equal, they need to find an alternative talent for differentiation. I hope they will consider all aspects of achievements (including community work) as long as they are outstanding in it.

Postby metz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:30 pm

tamarind wrote:
I heard a rumor, don't know whether it is true or not, that if a student has special skills like knowing how to play the piano, then he has a higher chance of getting scholarships ? This again, is elitist, because lower income families may not be able to send their kids for music lessons.

Heard from my sil's that some neighbourhood schools do offer elitist programs such as golf, violin etc... Besides, if I'm not wrong, cc do provide some programs at lower costs too. So, kids from the lower income families are not really being deprived.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:01 pm

There are many families in Singapore having household income of $2000, and has 2 or more kids. There are also phonics and Chinese enrichment classes to attend, which should be higher priority than music. These low income families may not be able to afford music lessons.

CC courses are cheap, but I do not think that the quality is good. I have let my kids join a speech and drama class before, it was so bad that I pulled them out halfway.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

To Enrol or not to enrol

Postby mulan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Hi Chief Kiasu,

I actually dun see that he is naturally gifted, that is why the doubt is there.

Have spoken to him , told him the and cons, he actually wanted to try.

He is not trained to be in GEP, as we let to him to go play play, but didn't know he is selected.

The decision is that we will let him try cos he wanted it.

Being a working mother of 4 is truly no joke, esp my eldest is going for PSLE nex yr

We will monitor and see, if worst case I may quit to focus on them.

thks for the advice.

mulan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: To Enrol or not to enrol

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:32 pm

mulan wrote:...I actually dun see that he is naturally gifted, that is why the doubt is there...

Sometimes, we parents tend to underestimate what our children are capable of. If he managed to go through the 2 gates set by our educators without preparation, he is likely to be what they are looking for. Since he wants to try, then you have made the right decision. Do keep us posted on his progress!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby EQmum » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:03 am

mulan wrote:I actually dun see that he is naturally gifted, that is why the doubt is there.

mulan,

I can understand your worry. I am in the same situation as you last year. But after undergo a year of GEP with my ds, I can ensure you that your son will fit himself in very well. All you need to do is to give your full support and encourage him all th way.

EQmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: To Enrol or not to enrol

Postby clayman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:20 am

mulan wrote:Hi Chief Kiasu,

I actually dun see that he is naturally gifted, that is why the doubt is there.

Have spoken to him , told him the and cons, he actually wanted to try.

He is not trained to be in GEP, as we let to him to go play play, but didn't know he is selected.

The decision is that we will let him try cos he wanted it.

Being a working mother of 4 is truly no joke, esp my eldest is going for PSLE nex yr

We will monitor and see, if worst case I may quit to focus on them.

thks for the advice.

Hi Mulan,

My son is also the play play sort and we did not hype up any expectations at all. We took a " if he gets in...get in lor...if not also never mind" approach.

It was a pleasant surprise that he got in and his teachers in school also encouraged him to take it up. I had a talk with him and also told him what the expectations are. I also brought him along for the briefing so that he has a better idea of what the programme entails. In the end he decided to go for it. The good thing is that he doesn't have to uproot to another school...so that helps.

Which school do you plan to put your son in? My son is in ACS.

Cheers

clayman
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres