Hi Way2GO, I've replied your pm.

Got it
n I replied to u with attachment.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ksme » Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 am

Way2GO wrote:
How do u all prepare the kids for EL CT?
I asked my DS to revise n he replied there's
nothing to revise for EL. :roll:
He might be rite cos'
learning languages is an ongoing process
one can't really prepare just the day before a test.
so :xedfingers:

You are right that it is ongoing process. I just get my DS to do some assessment books as last min effort. Think it may not add much but at least we tried. Anyway, he couldn't do much since there were homework also to be completed. Sigh, he is bad in the cloze passage. Not sure how to help him apart from asking him to read more. Any other parents found a good way to help in this area?

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby keroppi » Thu May 06, 2010 11:02 am

Way2GO wrote:How do u all prepare the kids for EL CT?

Same response I get at home too.
For EL CT, it's basically 2 components: cloze (15) and compre (25).
But I don't care, I still get DS to do cloze passages papers (extracted from past years English exam papers) to help him better grasp the technique.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Neko » Thu May 06, 2010 11:11 am

EL - yesterday a girl in dd's class panicked and said she had not revised for her EL CT. the EL teacher looked puzzled and answered 'ah ? need to prepare ? There's nothing to prepare.' so dd pronounced that EL is her fav subj, no need to study :roll:

Math investigation - dd's teacher only started giving Inv worksheets last week. Hv not seen the papers marked yet. The linear eqns seem ez but not sure if dd can handle quadratic eqns type. Erm, P4 got test quadratic eqn or not ? (the n square type )

Science - no prac paper so far

HCL - sigh ...... dd said paper is very very tough

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zann » Thu May 06, 2010 11:44 am

keroppi wrote:
Way2GO wrote:How do u all prepare the kids for EL CT?

Same response I get at home too.
For EL CT, it's basically 2 components: cloze (15) and compre (25).
But I don't care, I still get DS to do cloze passages papers (extracted from past years English exam papers) to help him better grasp the technique.

keroppi, are you referring to Top school CA/SA exam papers, or past year GEP exam papers? If mainstream papers, what level of English exam papers is suitable?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby keroppi » Thu May 06, 2010 11:54 am

Zann wrote:keroppi, are you referring to Top school CA/SA exam papers, or past year GEP exam papers? If mainstream papers, what level of English exam papers is suitable?

P5/P6 top school past year exam CA/SA papers. I just print out the cloze passage section for him to practise. Other than that I don't know how to help him. We are only hoping for a pass, that's all. :(

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby KSmom8 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Zann wrote:
KSmom8 wrote:DS teachers still giving homework to be handed in during this test period. Is this the norm in GEP? :| TIA.

Am concerned cos there's so little time left to study. :!: Seems that DS class also just learnt about "investigation" and the math test is just a week away!!! :shock:

Hi KSmom8, what kind of homework besides the Inv math? My ds does not have any inv math homework though... any idea what are the inv maths topics will be tested this round?

DS has to do chinese (corrections), ERP book review (final) and SS commentary (2nd draft). Do GEP teachers normally assign and ask for homework to be handed in during exams?

His math homework was on number sequence - finding the rule for Nth term. Am also interested to know what else would be covered in inv math.
Last edited by KSmom8 on Thu May 06, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KSmom8 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:19 pm

keroppi wrote:
Zann wrote:keroppi, are you referring to Top school CA/SA exam papers, or past year GEP exam papers? If mainstream papers, what level of English exam papers is suitable?

P5/P6 top school past year exam CA/SA papers. I just print out the cloze passage section for him to practise. Other than that I don't know how to help him. We are only hoping for a pass, that's all. :(

I gave DS P6 cloze passages to do as practice. He is also pretty bad in cloze passage... and comprehension. :( And yes, we are also hoping for a pass. :pray:

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby WTK » Thu May 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Today dd said English is VERY VERY DIFFICULT and she thinks she will fail the paper :cry: Eventhough I comforted her with "Never mind, I know you tried your best." but deep down in my heart I felt sad too. Tomorrow will be SS, please tell me how should I help her? Anyone has past year papers or revision notes to share??

WTK
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby vlim » Thu May 06, 2010 4:09 pm

KSmom8 wrote:
keroppi wrote:

I gave DS P6 cloze passages to do as practice. He is also pretty bad in cloze passage... and comprehension. :( And yes, we are also hoping for a pass. :pray:

i also let my ds do past yrs p6 mainstream EL exam paper and he said the practise paper they just had (p5 gep) is more difficult then the p6 mainstream english paper...so I guess it is about sec 1/2 standard.....

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP