Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby vlim » Thu May 06, 2010 4:12 pm

For gep English, I think the kids need to try to read more story books to improve their English standard...doing assignment may not help much...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Neko » Thu May 06, 2010 4:42 pm

WTK wrote:Today dd said English is VERY VERY DIFFICULT and she thinks she will fail the paper :cry: Eventhough I comforted her with "Never mind, I know you tried your best." but deep down in my heart I felt sad too. Tomorrow will be SS, please tell me how should I help her? Anyone has past year papers or revision notes to share??

My dd said the same for yesterday's HCL. I am thinking of ways to help her improve her chinese. she is only able to read words that hv been taught, that's all. she's not keen on reading ch storybooks cos does not understd many words :slapshead:

SS - read textbook and dd's teacher mentioned should know the common family values.

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Thu May 06, 2010 4:57 pm

I also cannot get my ds to read Chinese story book as he said Chinese story is very 'lame' unlike English story. So he only know chinese words that they learn from the textbook...He is only force to read Chinese story book during school silent reading time... :|

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Neko » Thu May 06, 2010 5:01 pm

vlim wrote:I also cannot get my ds to read Chinese story book as he said Chinese story is very 'lame' unlike English story. So he only know chinese words that they learn from the textbook...He is only force to read Chinese story book during school silent reading time... :|

my dd doesn't even bring a chinese storybook for the silent reading ! Die die read her english storybook. If the prefects catch her she'd just whip out her chinese textbk & (pretend to) read.

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Thu May 06, 2010 5:10 pm

my ds only read 1 to 2 pages per silent reading session...so I always need to return the book to the nlb without him finishing reading it.... :x

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby WTK » Thu May 06, 2010 5:23 pm

By the way, how do your DD or DS find the English paper today? Is mine the only one that having problem?
Last edited by WTK on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WTK
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

hi

Postby theGEPPER » Thu May 06, 2010 5:25 pm

hello to parents out there
i am a student in the GEP programme :)
i was just doing my research when i saw this topic and you people's comments
basically, i think that exams are hard. but the really important point is to 'revise smart'and to know that its not scary at all
this year's my sixth year in raffles and here are some tips that your child may want

ENG: Revise through your clozes REMEMBER: Look out for comparisons. Prepositions are always tested, but only one - three questions (if u check through the paper and no prepositions must be something wrong). IS ARE WAS WERE is never tested. that goes under the grammar section. as for comprehension, do annotations (hopefully if u have the time) and please explain the why questions, not just a statement.

MATH: read your teacher's notes and look through your worksheets. pla around with the calculator for the investigation. *if you dont know a 1 or 2 mark question, give it up and move on. 1 mark is eqivilent to 1.5 minutes, so plan well. always use guess and check if desperate:) note: never put' 1/8 = 123(wateva) coz you might not get any marks at all.

CHINESE: MY fav subject!!! Maybe you can remember some common good sentences to use in your composition. Look through the words in your textbook; getting those wrong would be terrible

SCIENCE: Write notes in class of important points so as to revise later on, try to use important concepts as answers. eg. start heat answer with "heat travels from a hotter place to a colder place so..." look at the MCQ closely. they might always trick you

SOCIAL STUDIES: read through notes, draw a concept map and timeline of the area tested, (read the exam topics!!!) remember important dates and understand important concepts. and listen carefully in class because i find that the teachers love to hint...
Last but not least, get into good relationships with your seniors! They may give you lots of help!
cheers.

theGEPPER
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby vlim » Thu May 06, 2010 5:27 pm

mine p5 gep...said as compared to the practise paper which close to half the class failed...the cloze passage is easier but the comprehension is harder...btw he passed his practise paper so hopefully his ct score would not be lousier then the practise paper score.. :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: hi

Postby vlim » Thu May 06, 2010 5:36 pm

theGEPPER wrote:hello to parents out there
i am a student in the GEP programme :)
i was just doing my research when i saw this topic and you people's comments
basically, i think that exams are hard. but the really important point is to 'revise smart'and to know that its not scary at all
this year's my sixth year in raffles and here are some tips that your child may want

ENG: Revise through your clozes REMEMBER: Look out for comparisons. Prepositions are always tested, but only one - three questions (if u check through the paper and no prepositions must be something wrong). IS ARE WAS WERE is never tested. that goes under the grammar section. as for comprehension, do annotations (hopefully if u have the time) and please explain the why questions, not just a statement.

MATH: read your teacher's notes and look through your worksheets. pla around with the calculator for the investigation. *if you dont know a 1 or 2 mark question, give it up and move on. 1 mark is eqivilent to 1.5 minutes, so plan well. always use guess and check if desperate:) note: never put' 1/8 = 123(wateva) coz you might not get any marks at all.

CHINESE: MY fav subject!!! Maybe you can remember some common good sentences to use in your composition. Look through the words in your textbook; getting those wrong would be terrible

SCIENCE: Write notes in class of important points so as to revise later on, try to use important concepts as answers. eg. start heat answer with "heat travels from a hotter place to a colder place so..." look at the MCQ closely. they might always trick you

SOCIAL STUDIES: read through notes, draw a concept map and timeline of the area tested, (read the exam topics!!!) remember important dates and understand important concepts. and listen carefully in class because i find that the teachers love to hint...
Last but not least, get into good relationships with your seniors! They may give you lots of help!
cheers.

thanks for your tips :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby WTK » Thu May 06, 2010 5:45 pm

vlim and GEPPER, please check your pm. Thanks

WTK
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP