55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: hi

Postby Donkey Kong » Thu May 06, 2010 6:47 pm

vlim wrote:
theGEPPER wrote:
MATH: read your teacher's notes and look through your worksheets. pla around with the calculator for the investigation. *if you dont know a 1 or 2 mark question, give it up and move on. 1 mark is eqivilent to 1.5 minutes, so plan well. always use guess and check if desperate:) note: never put' 1/8 = 123(wateva) coz you might not get any marks at all.

CHINESE: MY fav subject!!! Maybe you can remember some common good sentences to use in your composition. Look through the words in your textbook; getting those wrong would be terrible

SCIENCE: Write notes in class of important points so as to revise later on, try to use important concepts as answers. eg. start heat answer with "heat travels from a hotter place to a colder place so..." look at the MCQ closely. they might always trick you

SOCIAL STUDIES: read through notes, draw a concept map and timeline of the area tested, (read the exam topics!!!) remember important dates and understand important concepts. and listen carefully in class because i find that the teachers love to hint...
Last but not least, get into good relationships with your seniors! They may give you lots of help!
cheers.

thanks for your tips :wink:

Sorry I don't mean to be rude. These are exam techniques and I am a little disappointed when I see GEP pupils (may be not all) think like dat. :cry:

Eg, Chinese is your favourite subject. Think you should spend time reading the classics, history, etc. GEPs are expected to create good sentences and not memorising sentences. Not too difficult if you read widely. :lol:

Good relationship with Seniors: do it with hearts and good intention. I find many Singaporean students like to borrow/take seniors projects/reports then kopi kopi... becoz they wanna save time. This is happening worldwide even at Unis level. I gave immediate failure when I see students kopi, esp. in front of me. :cry: This is not the way to learn. :(

GEP are expected to be creative... remember. :celebrate:

Donkey Kong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby vlim » Thu May 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Donkey Kong wrote:Sorry I don't mean to be rude. These are exam techniques and I am a little disappointed when I see GEP pupils (may be not all) think like dat. :cry:

Eg, Chinese is your favourite subject. Think you should spend time reading the classics, history, etc. GEPs are expected to create good sentences and not memorising sentences. Not too difficult if you read widely. :lol:

Good relationship with Seniors: do it with hearts and good intention. I find many Singaporean students like to borrow/take seniors projects/reports then kopi kopi... becoz they wanna save time. This is happening worldwide even at Unis level. I gave immediate failure when I see students kopi, esp. in front of me. :cry: This is not the way to learn. :(

aiya I think is ok for him to share his experience with us la...most of them would not like to share...furthermore I do not think after reading his post, my ds would be much better then now (i think likewise for other kid) as different kid has different study method that suits them..... :dancing:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Donkey Kong » Thu May 06, 2010 8:07 pm

We need the best brains to teach our future generations. :love:

MOE should give GEP students teaching BONDS, make them teachers. Perhaps 20 yrs bond. Everybody want best teachers for our kids mah... :celebrate:

I feel memorising sentences is like we learning foreign languages. (Jap,Germ, French). No choice as we don't get to speak/hear daily. Chinese is something we contact daily, just tune in Ch.8 you can hear many clever sentences from Mark Lee, Ponsak.

Thanks for his/her sharing. At least I know how they feel. :shock:

Donkey Kong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu May 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Donkey Kong wrote:We need the best brains to teach our future generations. :love:

MOE should give GEP students teaching BONDS, make them teachers. Perhaps 20 yrs bond. Everybody want best teachers for our kids mah... :celebrate:

I feel memorising sentences is like we learning foreign languages. (Jap,Germ, French). No choice as we don't get to speak/hear daily. Chinese is something we contact daily, just tune in Ch.8 you can hear many clever sentences from Mark Lee, Ponsak.

Dear Donkey Kong, it is ludicrous to believe that ALL GEP students will want to become teachers as their careers.

Language is a subject that requires us to remember the vocabulary and semantics specific to the language. It is only through the constant exposure and application of the language that one can improve in the language. There is nothing wrong for students to memorize phrases in preparation for a language examination, regardless of whether they are gifted or not.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby cluelessmom » Thu May 06, 2010 9:27 pm

theGEPPER wrote:hello to parents out there
i am a student in the GEP programme :)
i was just doing my research when i saw this topic and you people's comments
basically, i think that exams are hard. but the really important point is to 'revise smart'and to know that its not scary at all
this year's my sixth year in raffles and here are some tips that your child may want

ENG: Revise through your clozes REMEMBER: Look out for comparisons. Prepositions are always tested, but only one - three questions (if u check through the paper and no prepositions must be something wrong). IS ARE WAS WERE is never tested. that goes under the grammar section. as for comprehension, do annotations (hopefully if u have the time) and please explain the why questions, not just a statement.

MATH: read your teacher's notes and look through your worksheets. pla around with the calculator for the investigation. *if you dont know a 1 or 2 mark question, give it up and move on. 1 mark is eqivilent to 1.5 minutes, so plan well. always use guess and check if desperate:) note: never put' 1/8 = 123(wateva) coz you might not get any marks at all.

CHINESE: MY fav subject!!! Maybe you can remember some common good sentences to use in your composition. Look through the words in your textbook; getting those wrong would be terrible

SCIENCE: Write notes in class of important points so as to revise later on, try to use important concepts as answers. eg. start heat answer with "heat travels from a hotter place to a colder place so..." look at the MCQ closely. they might always trick you

SOCIAL STUDIES: read through notes, draw a concept map and timeline of the area tested, (read the exam topics!!!) remember important dates and understand important concepts. and listen carefully in class because i find that the teachers love to hint...
Last but not least, get into good relationships with your seniors! They may give you lots of help!
cheers.

:thankyou: for sharing with us here....I think they are great tips!!

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmom » Thu May 06, 2010 10:08 pm

Way2GO wrote:Sori cluelessmom,
I got u mixed up with cluelessmama.
:lol:

:lol:

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Thu May 06, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi cluelessmom, how your ds feel of this EL paper.. :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Fri May 07, 2010 12:00 am

Donkey Kong wrote:
Sorry I don't mean to be rude. These are exam techniques and I am a little disappointed when I see GEP pupils (may be not all) think like dat. :cry:

Agree... But GEPers also need to take PSLE., May be that is why they can't run away from learning mainstream stuff. I am always worried about PSLE. I am not a GEPer and have tried to facilitate my ds to learn in that manner of memorising good phrases but face resistance and he just wants to enjoy reading, for both Eng and CL. Be it his ER books , Encyclopedia or cook books. And the so-called creativity does appear in his compo for both languages, no flowery phrases, but still able to score and be appreciated by his teachers. So I just leave it to him to learn naturally. He relax, I also relax.
Last edited by Zann on Fri May 07, 2010 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Zann » Fri May 07, 2010 12:11 am

Donkey Kong wrote:We need the best brains to teach our future generations. :love:

Best brain people not necessary can teach well cos they think too fast and can't appreciate the normal brain and have the patience. Teaching needs a lot of patience. I came across a Maths genius lecturer whom most of us could not understand whatever he taught.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Donkey Kong » Fri May 07, 2010 12:59 am

In teachers training at NIE, they will train them how to teach.. :?

Donkey Kong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge