Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Donkey Kong » Fri May 07, 2010 1:10 am

GEP is promoting elitism. To understand normal pple like us, they need to mix with others. Otherwise, no social integration. In the old days, Pr1 to Pr6, all same class. Now, they group into elite class, middle class and lousy class. :cry:

Elitism also brings unhealthy competition. Got to watch your bag during PE lessons else someone will destroy your notes. esp, exams are near. :!: Don't know if GEP teachers teach kids to love each other. :love:

Pretend never study but actually mugging at home. :P quite tired of these acts and would not like kid to go thru these. :cry:

Donkey Kong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: hi

Postby keroppi » Fri May 07, 2010 7:52 am

Donkey Kong wrote:
theGEPPER wrote:CHINESE: MY fav subject!!! Maybe you can remember some common good sentences to use in your composition. Look through the words in your textbook; getting those wrong would be terrible

Sorry I don't mean to be rude. These are exam techniques and I am a little disappointed when I see GEP pupils (may be not all) think like dat. :cry:

Eg, Chinese is your favourite subject. Think you should spend time reading the classics, history, etc. GEPs are expected to create good sentences and not memorising sentences. Not too difficult if you read widely. :lol:

I agree that reading widely plays an important part in any language learning. But what is wrong with memorising sentences? For the clueless, they have to start somewhere. From my personal experience, DD started out with memorizing compo passages at P5. When she got better marks, her interest in the language was sparked, triggering her willingness to pick up CL newspapers, novels to read. Slowly, she weaned herself off memorizing and started writing her own pieces with her original fancy phrases. Now I am hoping my DS will do likewise but he's a hard nut to crack :cry:

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: hi

Postby theGEPPER » Fri May 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Sorry I don't mean to be rude. These are exam techniques and I am a little disappointed when I see GEP pupils (may be not all) think like dat. :cry:

Eg, Chinese is your favourite subject. Think you should spend time reading the classics, history, etc. GEPs are expected to create good sentences and not memorising sentences. Not too difficult if you read widely. :lol:

Good relationship with Seniors: do it with hearts and good intention. I find many Singaporean students like to borrow/take seniors projects/reports then kopi kopi... becoz they wanna save time. This is happening worldwide even at Unis level. I gave immediate failure when I see students kopi, esp. in front of me. :cry: This is not the way to learn. :(

GEP are expected to be creative... remember. :celebrate:[/quote]

hello!
thanks for your comments!
yup, i have heard many a people think the same way as you. i think i would like to clarify that although i am a gepper, i am still a student. afterall, the main post, objective of a student is to learn and expand your knowledge:) but although of this, exams still count. lots. just because we learn in somewhat a different way from the mainstream pupils, it does not mean that we cannot use exam tips. I personally think that it can apply to anyone with a heart to score well. of course, some geppers who are a bit more playful may not think like that at all. geppers study for exams too.

in reply to your second para, i agree mostly. reading literature (eng or chi) is one of my favourite past times and i have to say i have gained a lot from it. However, expanding your reading area has nothing to do with exams. Remember, we geppers have the same exams as you! To be precise, reading a variety of excellent books do not help in exams at all. Imagine quoting a sentence from xi you ji for comprehension? I know that the aim of a student is to not just score in exams. But it, sadly, affects your future. We might never have a chance to show our extensive reading if we don’t get into secondary school... moe is as such.
Being friends with helpful seniors does not draw an equal to copying. (does that relate immediately to your mind anyway?) more friends are better than less. Seniors can, and will, give you a good outline of the year and excellent support and advice. Although I have never seen my seniors, work, I should think that I would NEVER copy. the most I would do is to share my ideas. Great work always come from teamwork. Inspirations and ideas can always be shared to improve the quality of work, and I would be really sad if I find that idea-sharing is equivalent to copying.
And last but not least, I would need to publicise for GEPPERS nation wide that our lessons are fun packed but at the same time educational and widely ranged. For example, we have done from analysing media literacy to creating a mystery story, and even writing a letter to a *company* to convince them of the publication of a particular book! Please anticipate for excellent results from RGPS in 2010!
Cheers
*just for fun*: are you a teacher?[/quote]

theGEPPER
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby theGEPPER » Fri May 07, 2010 4:24 pm

Donkey Kong wrote:GEP is promoting elitism. To understand normal pple like us, they need to mix with others. Otherwise, no social integration. In the old days, Pr1 to Pr6, all same class. Now, they group into elite class, middle class and lousy class. :cry:

Elitism also brings unhealthy competition. Got to watch your bag during PE lessons else someone will destroy your notes. esp, exams are near. :!: Don't know if GEP teachers teach kids to love each other. :love:

Pretend never study but actually mugging at home. :P quite tired of these acts and would not like kid to go thru these. :cry:

To donkey kong:
Reading your remarks has made me feel that I have to say something to defend dear GEPPERS rights. First of all, from where have you got an idea that gep, is, elitism? This is a hurting remark. I should think that your child is in mainstream. If that is so, how would you know what is the life of a gep? You have heard rumours? I clarify once again that we DO integrate. And it goes for not only Chinese, but PE and art as well. Please do not stereotype geps as particular cases whereby your descriptions fit. Maybe someone has been telling you the false truth. I personally think that that person is what we would call ‘sour grapes’.
I would also like you to give some thought to the sentence:” In the old days, Pr1 to Pr6, all same class” do you really think that it is a good approach to have the same classmates and a limited number of friends for your entire primary school years? Plus, mixing some of the tyrants of the school with the average crowd would have a disastrous effect. If your child was a good, smart, want-to-learn pupil, would you want him to be mixed with playful people who disrupts class activities?
I am not saying that all students are like that. Grouping classes allows room for better, more efficient and enhanced learning environments of students of different capabilities. Just to add. We NEVER called them, elite, middle and lousy class. You did.
Elitism can, but not necessarily, bring unhealthy competition. Have you been watching movies with school tyrants in view? Then please do not apply your thinking to the average, innocent geppers. I agree that even in my class there is someone who destroys notes, but that is, again, not the normal behaviour.
If you have never been in the gep PLEASE do not give remarks about our teaching. Every student in RGPS has always praised our excellent, dedicated teachers for their teachings, not only academic but moral values. In fact, geppers, learn more values than some of the mainstreams out there. I guarantee you that we had never, and never will be, elitists.
We geppers are as healthy as any of you, not only on intelligence, but more on moral values.
We have feelings too. We have a heart too. We are not elitists. Please remember that.
-the defending gepper of RGPS 2010

theGEPPER
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby TwaTau » Fri May 07, 2010 4:32 pm

:udawoman:

Dear theGEPPER, you have articulate great with such a stereotyping comment. I will feel proud if I have kids like you.
Last edited by TwaTau on Fri May 07, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby KSP » Fri May 07, 2010 4:33 pm

the defending gepper of RGPS 2010 very well said. :celebrate:

Some people just nag for the sake of nagging.

Since you are from RGPS, this is the closest I can find :udawoman:
Last edited by KSP on Fri May 07, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Fri May 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Dear theGEPPER, you have articulate great with such a stereotyping comment. I will feel proud if I have kids like you.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby KSP » Fri May 07, 2010 4:57 pm

:cheeky: Donkey Kong :slapshead: , I don't know what to say :stupid: . Everyone think you are :siao:. You better :clubmyself: before everyone here :spank: and :pokeeye: you? You are really :rotflmao:.....

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Fri May 07, 2010 5:04 pm

Wow...well said theGEPPER!...you have shown the 'power and standard' of geppers!!!
I will definitely ask my ds to read what you have written. :wink: Are you in the school debate team? :wink:
Hai.. ya la...some people will be sour grape...I also feel that my sibling sour grape of my ds going to gep but his not ...but what to do ...But gifted kids also have stress as they have to compete with other gifted kids and when they grown up they would also face stress with competition with those people of the same calibre.... We definitely got to agree that the geppers have to gone through 'very challenging' assignments and projects and in lieu of that we have to appreciate the effort that they have to put in.... :celebrate:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Fri May 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Wow, the GEPPER, tks so much for that very sharp and concise retort. And you didn't for one moment lose your cool!

You have no idea how many parents here (I mean all of kiasuparents) probably wish their kid could grow up to be as articulate, clear minded and balanced as you.

Once again, tks for helping out and for elaborating further.

:ugogirl:

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge