Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Blobbi » Tue May 11, 2010 9:23 am

Article: Many Gifted Children Fail Academically

http://www.nouvelles.umontreal.ca/udem- ... cally.html

"It may seem contradictory, yet many gifted children struggle academically. Some 33 to 50 percent of intellectually precocious children will fail at least once in their academic career. According to a 2003 study, a mere 40 percent of gifted children will complete an undergraduate degree or pursue graduate studies. The rest drop out. ..."

This article was pointed out to me on another forum. The statistics quoted may be more applicable in the West where they have lower funding for gifted education in schools. This is true of the US although it doesn't explain Canada, where there is supposed to be better support. Anyway hopefully, Singapore's statistics are more positive. As parents, we have to be more proactive and aware as well.

Food for thought.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Tue May 11, 2010 9:55 am

Blobbi wrote:Article: Many Gifted Children Fail Academically

http://www.nouvelles.umontreal.ca/udem- ... cally.html

"It may seem contradictory, yet many gifted children struggle academically. Some 33 to 50 percent of intellectually precocious children will fail at least once in their academic career. According to a 2003 study, a mere 40 percent of gifted children will complete an undergraduate degree or pursue graduate studies. The rest drop out. ..."

This article was pointed out to me on another forum. The statistics quoted may be more applicable in the West where they have lower funding for gifted education in schools. This is true of the US although it doesn't explain Canada, where there is supposed to be better support. Anyway hopefully, Singapore's statistics are more positive. As parents, we have to be more proactive and aware as well.

Food for thought.

I think, in Singapore, with all the education-concern young parents, we would not allow such thing to happen but of course, there will be a few exceptional... :lol:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am

vlim wrote:I think, in Singapore, with all the education-concern young parents, we would not allow such thing to happen but of course, there will be a few exceptional... :lol:

I think so too. I was very lax before (not consistently too!), and in my own way, thought it was healthier for DS. Anyway, maybe I've woken up, and DS has become more demanding as he is older, so we are happily doing a whole lot more in areas that he likes. Except for writing, aiya. I'm still convinced that his nervous system will be more mature by 9-ish yo, so his problems can only diminish. :pray: But need practice also lah.

BTW, you mean your kids don't fight back? Mine, when it comes to writing (and I mean just school work), always kpkb!!

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Tue May 11, 2010 10:57 am

Blobbi wrote: BTW, you mean your kids don't fight back? Mine, when it comes to writing (and I mean just school work), always kpkb!!

Hiya Blobbi, mine just do what's required.
No self motivation to do more.
Sometimes need to kick his butt to get him moving.
Imagine, he received the best pensmanship in school in P1
and his handwriting just goes downhill to its atrocious state from P2.
:frustrated:

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Tue May 11, 2010 10:58 am

emm....sometime he will..I am a working mum so when near to exam I will usually write down what I want him to revise in the afternoon..but of course not too much lah...must know his usual speed also. If I give too much thing or things he doesn't want to do, he would protest sooo I would usually ask him ' then when do u want to do it?' Sometime he will give me a positive answer like 'tomorrow' :D and some time he will say ' neverrrr....' :stupid:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Tue May 11, 2010 11:09 am

I shared with him why he need to learn to
do certain things on his own without any prompting.
Me: "You understand?"
DS2: "OK".

But things still don't get done
When queried, "you said OK".
DS2: "OK means I hear you" :stupid:

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Tue May 11, 2010 11:12 am

Way2GO wrote:I shared with him why he need to learn to

haaaaaaaa...so funny... :rotflmao: ..then u can do this to him :spank:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Tue May 11, 2010 11:15 am

Way2Go and vlim, Yah, I had a feeling I wasn't alone in the :frustrated: department. Sometimes good, sure. Out-think us in so many little ways. But the getting them to work bit, :stupid: .

Minimal is best like you say, vlim. My expectations are very low - do english homework, I happy liao. [DS says, since he wasn't planning to hand up, any homework I ask him to do is extra. :frustrated: ]
Last edited by Blobbi on Tue May 11, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Tue May 11, 2010 11:18 am

vlim wrote:
Way2GO wrote:I shared with him why he need to learn to

haaaaaaaa...so funny... :rotflmao: ..then u can do this to him :spank:

:rotflmao:

These kids ... dealing with them just makes me want to :faint:

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Tue May 11, 2010 4:26 pm

With regards to "nth term" problem. Is it a must to solve in algebric equation using nth term during the test?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP