Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Way2GO » Tue May 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Zann, my DS has very few worksheets/PP on this topic.
From what I can see, the nth term problems are not
at a level that they need to solve by algebra.
Maybe others here have other inputs?

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Tue May 11, 2010 4:45 pm

I am not sure about p4 gep nth term method..but I saw my p5 ds this yr notes got something mentioned 'algebra' in the nth term or number sequence work sheet... I have not been coaching him on the ge subjects since last yr (heee too difficult for me liao)...so also do not know what or how difficult are the questions.. :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cluelessmama » Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Zann & Way2Go,

Situation is the same here. I am leaving the 'sherlock holmes' in kid for the investigative paper. :xedfingers:

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ksme » Tue May 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Zann wrote:With regards to "nth term" problem. Is it a must to solve in algebric equation using nth term during the test?

Zann, Way2go, Clueless mama,
It seems my DS worksheets show they need to be able to express nth term in an equation so they can solve any nth term required, eg 100th term, 1000th term etc.

The normal worksheets on this are much tougher than the practice papers he brought back and teacher confirmed the test will be on arithmetic sequences.

Hope this helps.

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Way2GO » Tue May 11, 2010 8:24 pm

ksme wrote: Zann, Way2go, Clueless mama,
The normal worksheets on this are much tougher than the practice papers he brought back and teacher confirmed the test will be on arithmetic sequences.
Hope this helps.

Dear all,
Don't be unduly worried.
Sleep well tonight.
The kids will be alright!
:imcool:

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Wed May 12, 2010 7:42 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:How effective are the measures by the ministry to transform our education, without changing the legacy assessment methods by which we rank our children? The GEP is seen as a fast-track to elite Secondary schools coveted by parents so much so that they try to train their children to excel in the GEP selection tests. The IP schools are now coveted by parents because they are seen as the warranty of a place in the Universities. The "teach less, learn more" principle is thought of by parents as the schools telling us to give our kids more tuition because teachers no longer provide the answers, which are necessary so that our kids can ace their examinations!

I salute Mr Ng not just for recognising this conundrum, but also having the courage to initiate changes. The removal of examinations for P1 and P2 is a great start. Unfortunately, the public furore over the attempt to tweak PSLE weightage shows how difficult it is for anyone to change status quo, even if it may have resulted in a less stressful and better learning environment for our children. I pray that this setback will not diminish the MOE's efforts in continuing to tweak our education system to prepare our children for the uncertain future.

My girl's primary school still conduct exams at P1. They changed the name from exam to Semestral Assessment on the paper, but the teacher still call it exam. I think schools will continue to do what they think is "necessary" instead of following strictly to MOE guidelines.

I will support any change of assessment methods, provided it is done fairly. It should not be changed for mother tongue only in order to make it easier to pass.

I will also support MOE if they decide to scrap the GEP and IP schools. There were no such things when I grew up and my generation of people are doing perfectly fine now. In fact, I am more worried about the kids who are stressed at such a young age. Especially those supposedly gifted ones, now made to study only for perfect scores.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HyperKiasu » Wed May 12, 2010 8:26 am

tamarind wrote:My girl's primary school still conduct exams at P1. They changed the name from exam to Semestral Assessment on the paper, but the teacher still call it exam. I think schools will continue to do what they think is "necessary" instead of following strictly to MOE guidelines.

same with my boy's school. He told me: "this week is very important leh, it is exam week...."

tamarind wrote:I will support any change of assessment methods, provided it is done fairly. It should not be changed for mother tongue only in order to make it easier to pass.

I will also support MOE if they decide to scrap the GEP and IP schools. There were no such things when I grew up and my generation of people are doing perfectly fine now. In fact, I am more worried about the kids who are stressed at such a young age. Especially those supposedly gifted ones, now made to study only for perfect scores.

Yes, the kids are stressed at a relatively younger age...two round of national test/exam (GEP selection test at age 9 and PSLE at age 12)
Perhaps singapore is little red dots with no natural resources, so goverment is also kiasu and can't help waiting to uncover talents/gifted (the only valuble assets that they own) at early age.

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby phankao » Wed May 12, 2010 8:54 am

HyperKiasu wrote:
Yes, the kids are stressed at a relatively younger age...two round of national test/exam (GEP selection test at age 9 and PSLE at age 12)

What's so stressful about GEP selection test? That's not a national exam. It's not even compulsory to take

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csc » Wed May 12, 2010 8:59 am

phankao wrote:
HyperKiasu wrote:

What's so stressful about GEP selection test? That's not a national exam. It's not even compulsory to take

Agree. Self-induced stress lah... :lol:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Wed May 12, 2010 9:09 am

tamarind wrote: I will also support MOE if they decide to scrap the GEP and IP schools. .... In fact, I am more worried about the kids who are stressed at such a young age.

I disagree with u on this point.
I currently hv 1 kid in IP n another in GEP.
They are both enjoying their schools and their curriculum.
The younger one seemed bored when he was in the lower primaries;
now he enjoys his lessons much better in GEP.
The IP curriculum allows the time saved from preparation for O levels
to be channelled into other meaningful activities in school to
nurture them holistically.
In fact, both of them seemed so easy going that I am the one
who becomes concerned!
Ha, maybe its their honeymoon year! :lol:
But we :offtopic: here liao. :lol:

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP