35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby phankao » Wed May 12, 2010 12:02 pm

tamarind wrote:
You mean all students have to take the GEP test at P3 ? Unless their parents opt out ? I thought only some students will be selected to take the test.

It's actually OPT-IN. Not opt-out for the p3 gep test. You have to sign a form to say you want to let your child take the test.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:05 pm

tamarind wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:this is off topic :

GEP test for Pri 3 kids are on "opt out" basis since at least 2007

top 5 % of the whole national cohort goes into second round

top 1% of the whole national cohort gets into GEP

some schools started (since 2008) HA (high ability) classes for those just missed the GEP cut off - these are usually the top mainstream classes ex-GEP.....some of their performance can surpass the GEPpers

You mean all students have to take the GEP test at P3 ? Unless their parents opt out ? I thought only some students will be selected to take the test.

yes. if you don't want to take the test, opt out

see, we are so short of talent that MOE has to test everyone unless you object .... heee heee...but still have 漏网之鱼, while there may be some that squeeze in but find the going a great challenge

let it be natural, i guess
Last edited by verykiasu2010 on Wed May 12, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Wed May 12, 2010 12:05 pm

some schools started (since 2008) HA (high ability) classes for those just missed the GEP cut off - these are usually the top mainstream classes ex-GEP.....some of their performance can surpass the GEPpers

During my son's time (p3 in year 2006), they also receive a letter if they did not get into GEP after the 2nd round. This letter from MOE says they are in the Top 10% of their cohort, by the fact of them having been shortlisted for the 2nd round. Well, at PSLE, he did perform within top 10%, so there may be some truth.

But "verykiasu2010" says it's "top 5%". Well, not according to the letters given then. i understand from the parents here that MOE no longer give out such letters?

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:06 pm

phankao wrote:
tamarind wrote:

It's actually OPT-IN. Not opt-out for the p3 gep test. You have to sign a form to say you want to let your child take the test.

that is probably pre 2007
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:09 pm

phankao wrote:

During my son's time (p3 in year 2006), they also receive a letter if they did not get into GEP after the 2nd round. This letter from MOE says they are in the Top 10% of their cohort, by the fact of them having been shortlisted for the 2nd round. Well, at PSLE, he did perform within top 10%, so there may be some truth.

But "verykiasu2010" says it's "top 5%". Well, not according to the letters given then. i understand from the parents here that MOE no longer give out such letters?

my child is P3 in 2007 and there was no letter for top 10% nor top 5% nor letter to say not in GEP - because it is opt out basis

we asked our son whether he wants to take the test - he said everyone had to - unless opt out. his class has 39 kids, 30 got in 2nd round, 9 got in GEP, the rest all HA class

if you had to opt in - then they must tell you whether u get in or not
Last edited by verykiasu2010 on Wed May 12, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Wed May 12, 2010 12:09 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
phankao wrote:
tamarind wrote:

Hmm... I have another boy who took the GEP test in year 2008 when he was in p3. We also had to sign the form to allow him to take the test.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:12 pm

phankao wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
phankao wrote:
tamarind wrote:

Hmm... I have another boy who took the GEP test in year 2008 when he was in p3. We also had to sign the form to allow him to take the test.

that could be like the school activity consent form to inform the parent about the kids' activities. my kid's cousin and other friends' kids have to inform the schools they do not want to take the test
Last edited by verykiasu2010 on Wed May 12, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Wed May 12, 2010 12:13 pm

tamarind wrote:I walked pass Morris Allen recently, they had a 10 day GEP preparation course that charges $888 :!: And parents are willing to pay !.

Actually I think S$888 not v expensive wat. *haha* I think we were all discussing other centres/tutors with really cut-throat prices!

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Wed May 12, 2010 12:22 pm

phankao wrote:
tamarind wrote:I walked pass Morris Allen recently, they had a 10 day GEP preparation course that charges $888 :!: And parents are willing to pay !.

Actually I think S$888 not v expensive wat. *haha* I think we were all discussing other centres/tutors with really cut-throat prices!

10 days $888 = $88.80 per day. How long is their daily lesson? What are they "teaching" for GEP selection for English - Morris Allen is more well-known for English, right?

Of course, compared with Dr Peh and some other, this is not that expensive :shock: I think these centres sure know how to create demand for those deparate parents.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csc » Wed May 12, 2010 12:26 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
tamarind wrote:

yes. if you don't want to take the test, opt out

see, we are so short of talent that MOE has to test everyone unless you object .... heee heee...but still have 漏网之鱼, while there may be some that squeeze in but find the going a great challenge

let it be natural, i guess

It's OPT- IN .

And, not to worry, no penalty for not taking the gep screening test. :lol:

Only selected pupils enter the 2nd round.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP