Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Postby keroppi » Wed May 12, 2010 3:27 pm

sunflowermom wrote:Dear GEPers' parents out there. Do u hv any English tutor at CCK area to recommend for my DS? He is in P5 GEP. Since P4, his EL CT is either marginally pass or marginally fail. Can tell he is starting to get demoralise. Thot get him a tutor to improve his grade and boost up his confidence cos I cannot teach EL.

There's 2 parts to EL CT. Cloze and Compre. My DS' GE English grades has always been a dismal marginal pass since P4 despite being an avid reader. I think they need a lot of practice and exposure to such passages. So I let him practice just the cloze passages from the past year top school exam papers (just print that page out from all the schools). For a start, you could guide him through the cloze as well as teach him how to draw references from the passage. For me, it really helped a lot - his CT results for cloze alone went from 8/15 to 12-13/15. No harm trying it during this June school hols. All the best.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:22 am
Total Likes: 5


Postby keroppi » Wed May 12, 2010 3:28 pm

Pen88n wrote:
phankao wrote:
tamarind wrote:I walked pass Morris Allen recently, they had a 10 day GEP preparation course that charges $888 :!: And parents are willing to pay !.


Actually I think S$888 not v expensive wat. *haha* I think we were all discussing other centres/tutors with really cut-throat prices!


10 days $888 = $88.80 per day. How long is their daily lesson? What are they "teaching" for GEP selection for English - Morris Allen is more well-known for English, right?

Of course, compared with Dr Peh and some other, this is not that expensive :shock: I think these centres sure know how to create demand for those deparate parents.


But do you think that 10 days can make a difference?!

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:22 am
Total Likes: 5


Postby Zann » Wed May 12, 2010 3:32 pm

cluelessmama wrote:
Way2GO wrote:
ksme wrote: Zann, Way2go, Clueless mama,
The normal worksheets on this are much tougher than the practice papers he brought back and teacher confirmed the test will be on arithmetic sequences.
Hope this helps.


Dear all,
Don't be unduly worried.
Sleep well tonight.
The kids will be alright!
:imcool:


hi ksme : thanks

hi Zann, Way2go : looks like the investigative paper is pretty alright, according to my kid :)


He finished it in 5 mins and one classmate finished in 3 mins... :?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby vlim » Wed May 12, 2010 3:34 pm

keroppi wrote:
sunflowermom wrote:Dear GEPers' parents out there. Do u hv any English tutor at CCK area to recommend for my DS? He is in P5 GEP. Since P4, his EL CT is either marginally pass or marginally fail. Can tell he is starting to get demoralise. Thot get him a tutor to improve his grade and boost up his confidence cos I cannot teach EL.

There's 2 parts to EL CT. Cloze and Compre. My DS' GE English grades has always been a dismal marginal pass since P4 despite being an avid reader. I think they need a lot of practice and exposure to such passages. So I let him practice just the cloze passages from the past year top school exam papers (just print that page out from all the schools). For a start, you could guide him through the cloze as well as teach him how to draw references from the passage. For me, it really helped a lot - his CT results for cloze alone went from 8/15 to 12-13/15. No harm trying it during this June school hols. All the best.


I think my ds last yr p4 EL teacher also guided them like what u have did as I saw a lot of highlighting and arrow here and there on their cloze passage worksheets.. :lol:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby Neko » Wed May 12, 2010 3:59 pm

Does anyone know P4 Science CT's format ? MCQ ? Open ended ?

Is it the norm not to give past year papers as practice paper ? Science don't have PP leh.

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:00 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby Neko » Wed May 12, 2010 4:03 pm

keroppi wrote:There's 2 parts to EL CT. Cloze and Compre. My DS' GE English grades has always been a dismal marginal pass since P4 despite being an avid reader. I think they need a lot of practice and exposure to such passages. So I let him practice just the cloze passages from the past year top school exam papers (just print that page out from all the schools). For a start, you could guide him through the cloze as well as teach him how to draw references from the passage. For me, it really helped a lot - his CT results for cloze alone went from 8/15 to 12-13/15. No harm trying it during this June school hols. All the best.


Any compo component ? The recent P4 EL CT comprised of compre and cloze. I was wondering if grammar, compo etc will be tested in future CTs ?

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby vlim » Wed May 12, 2010 4:09 pm

Neko wrote:Does anyone know P4 Science CT's format ? MCQ ? Open ended ?

Is it the norm not to give past year papers as practice paper ? Science don't have PP leh.


it has both mcq and opened qns...they shd have given practise paper to do for sci

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby CoffeeCat » Wed May 12, 2010 4:14 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:this is off topic :

GEP test for Pri 3 kids are on "opt out" basis since at least 2007

top 5 % of the whole national cohort goes into second round

top 1% of the whole national cohort gets into GEP

some schools started (since 2008) HA (high ability) classes for those just missed the GEP cut off - these are usually the top mainstream classes ex-GEP.....some of their performance can surpass the GEPpers


Anyone remember that in the past rosyth and nanyang also offered something like this ha classes for students that miss the cutoff by a bit?

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:37 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Neko » Wed May 12, 2010 4:14 pm

vlim wrote:
Neko wrote:Does anyone know P4 Science CT's format ? MCQ ? Open ended ?

Is it the norm not to give past year papers as practice paper ? Science don't have PP leh.


it has both mcq and opened qns...they shd have given practise paper to do for sci


The teacher say cannot give. One parent told me 'don't know why this year everything cannot give, but nevermind, i told my kid to use common sense to answer'.

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:00 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby vlim » Wed May 12, 2010 4:16 pm

is it :? ...then use past yr mainstream sci paper to practise should be good enough also..

this yr, my ds' science teacher do give but didn't provide them answer so...not too good either... :|
Last edited by vlim on Wed May 12, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres