Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby 8228 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:05 am

cluelessmama wrote:i was looking thro' the notes i've taken down when i attended the parents briefing at the beginning of the year, and this was what i have jotted down: baseline - overall 70%, chinese 50%, EL 65%

I thought Chinese is 70%. Could anyone clarify this?

BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby keroppi » Wed May 26, 2010 9:10 am

8228 wrote:
cluelessmama wrote:i was looking thro' the notes i've taken down when i attended the parents briefing at the beginning of the year, and this was what i have jotted down: baseline - overall 70%, chinese 50%, EL 65%

Gosh, I am going to confuse everyone further. I thought Chinese is 65%, same as EL ...

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 8228 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:14 am

vlim wrote:I agree with u 8228. Probably dicuss with the tutor to tackle your ds weak pt. Let the tutor know p4 gep is abt p6 or higher standard. ...

The tutor saw the paper and said that it was okay that he did not do well as the paper was just too difficult. My ds is attending a group tution so the tutor will not be able to customise the class just for him. Maybe I should find him another tutor??

My ds did not manage his time properly. Till the last 5 minutes, he was still doing the last question for compre and had not started the cloze. Therefore, he got only 2 out of 15 for cloze.

Does anyone know the format for the next 2 ct? Is it still compre and cloze only or something else? Really need to prepare him earlier.

BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Neko » Wed May 26, 2010 9:23 am

keroppi wrote:
8228 wrote:

Gosh, I am going to confuse everyone further. I thought Chinese is 65%, same as EL ...

dd told me HCL is 70%.

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zann » Wed May 26, 2010 9:27 am

cluelessmama wrote:
vlim wrote:u should have a rough idea by now right..as they should have taken back all their ct papers liao...

but plus daily work - this is the part which i can't really tell, esp for HCL (comp is kid's weakest link)

Are the regular practice compo scores counted? Mine till now still have not gotton back SS ct.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jtoh » Wed May 26, 2010 9:30 am

8228 wrote:expected that my ds may fail EL as he got about 60% for the 2 mock tests before the ct. However, did not expect him to fail so badly.

His ct results:

EL - less than 45%
SS - 60+%
HCL - 60+%
Maths - > 90%
Science - > 90%

Failed the baseline standard for 3 of the 5 subjects. Really worried.....

8228, Has your ds' English always been weak? I would be a little concerned because 45% is rather low, even for a GEP English paper. As far as I know, no one in my dd's cohort has ever failed English before. Especially at P4 where the syllabus is designed to be as encouraging to the GEP students as possible.

You should speak to your ds' English teacher and find out why he's not doing well.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Neko » Wed May 26, 2010 9:32 am

At which point would a child require tuition ?

I will only get to c dd's report book later on in the pm. From her perf so far, I think she's relatively stronger in languages/SS and average in Math/Science. She told me quite a number of her classmates attend/going to attend tuition (erm, i was under the wrong impression that not many go tuition initially).

When I asked her if she wants to go tuition for Math/Science she replied "no.".

dh thought maybe should let her go so that she is 'on par' with the rest (in terms of notes/preparations).

if her perf is average, is it good to let her attend tuition to push up her results ? and does tuition really help to improve grades?

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Wed May 26, 2010 9:37 am

8228 wrote:
vlim wrote:I agree with u 8228. Probably dicuss with the tutor to tackle your ds weak pt. Let the tutor know p4 gep is abt p6 or higher standard. ...

The tutor saw the paper and said that it was okay that he did not do well as the paper was just too difficult. My ds is attending a group tution so the tutor will not be able to customise the class just for him. Maybe I should find him another tutor??

My ds did not manage his time properly. Till the last 5 minutes, he was still doing the last question for compre and had not started the cloze. Therefore, he got only 2 out of 15 for cloze.

Does anyone know the format for the next 2 ct? Is it still compre and cloze only or something else? Really need to prepare him earlier.

I think u if are thinking of changing a tuition centre, u can consider The learning lab or mindstretcher or otherwise as their English std is pretty high...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed May 26, 2010 9:42 am

Neko wrote:At which point would a child require tuition ?

I will only get to c dd's report book later on in the pm. From her perf so far, I think she's relatively stronger in languages/SS and average in Math/Science. She told me quite a number of her classmates attend/going to attend tuition (erm, i was under the wrong impression that not many go tuition initially).

When I asked her if she wants to go tuition for Math/Science she replied "no.".

dh thought maybe should let her go so that she is 'on par' with the rest (in terms of notes/preparations).

if her perf is average, is it good to let her attend tuition to push up her results ? and does tuition really help to improve grades?

I think it would depend on the kid..If your dd doesn't mind, let her try out tuition for the next semester. Otherwise, just continue to let her study by her own..maybe engine hasn't started yet haaaaaa :wink:

I also waiting eagerly for my ds to get back home so as to know his total results :lol:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cluelessmama » Wed May 26, 2010 9:45 am

Neko wrote:
keroppi wrote:
8228 wrote:

dd told me HCL is 70%.

oh dear, so much confusion - this leads me to think : do the parents (me) need training on listening skills or do schools need lessons on speaking clearly...hmmm :?

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres