Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby cluelessmama » Wed May 26, 2010 9:46 am

Zann wrote:
cluelessmama wrote:
vlim wrote:u should have a rough idea by now right..as they should have taken back all their ct papers liao...

but plus daily work - this is the part which i can't really tell, esp for HCL (comp is kid's weakest link)

Are the regular practice compo scores counted? Mine till now still have not gotton back SS ct.

Somehow, I have this impression that everything you have done for daily work is included.

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ksme » Wed May 26, 2010 9:46 am

8228 wrote:
vlim wrote:I agree with u 8228. Probably dicuss with the tutor to tackle your ds weak pt. Let the tutor know p4 gep is abt p6 or higher standard. ...

The tutor saw the paper and said that it was okay that he did not do well as the paper was just too difficult. My ds is attending a group tution so the tutor will not be able to customise the class just for him. Maybe I should find him another tutor??

My ds did not manage his time properly. Till the last 5 minutes, he was still doing the last question for compre and had not started the cloze. Therefore, he got only 2 out of 15 for cloze.

Does anyone know the format for the next 2 ct? Is it still compre and cloze only or something else? Really need to prepare him earlier.

Maybe the tuition he is attending is not pitched at the GEP level? Apart from Chinese tuition, my kid does not attend any tuition as I find it difficult to find tuition pitched at the right level for them. DS is also struggling with English. I am hoping that the daily work will help pull up his grade to pass. Daily work makes up 60% of mid year marks so if your DS has done relatively well for daily work, maybe the final grade will not be so bad?

For CT 2, it is also 1 hour according to the calendar I got so I think would be similar format as the CT1. But for the end of year exam, looks like Oral, Listening comprehension and compo are also included. Parents with P5 or P6 GEPper will be able to confirm more accurately. :xedfingers:

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ksme » Wed May 26, 2010 9:48 am

cluelessmama wrote:
Zann wrote:
cluelessmama wrote:
vlim wrote:u should have a rough idea by now right..as they should have taken back all their ct papers liao...

but plus daily work - this is the part which i can't really tell, esp for HCL (comp is kid's weakest link)

Are the regular practice compo scores counted? Mine till now still have not gotton back SS ct.

Somehow, I have this impression that everything you have done for daily work is included.

Yes, DS always say that the teachers say everything also counted in final marks, be it English, HCL or other subjects.

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Zann » Wed May 26, 2010 9:48 am

keroppi wrote:
8228 wrote:
cluelessmama wrote:i was looking thro' the notes i've taken down when i attended the parents briefing at the beginning of the year, and this was what i have jotted down: baseline - overall 70%, chinese 50%, EL 65%

I thought Chinese is 70%. Could anyone clarify this?

Gosh, I am going to confuse everyone further. I thought Chinese is 65%, same as EL ...

If I have not mistaken, the so-called "baseline" is to determine whether they are eligible to opt for HCL at end of P4. Here it goes, to be able to take HCL at P5 the base line is HCL:50%, EL 65% and 70% for the others.

Pls let me know if there is a GEP promotion baseline.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Neko » Wed May 26, 2010 9:49 am

she doesn't want tuition cos she thinks it will take up her free time. she is very pleasantly surprised that she has lots of free time this semester (she initially thought GEP is slog slog slog, study study study all the time, turns out not too bad, lot of time to go fb to chat with old and new friends! :roll: ).

her target marks for exams is "80s can already".

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Wed May 26, 2010 9:49 am

vlim wrote:
Neko wrote:At which point would a child require tuition ?

I will only get to c dd's report book later on in the pm. From her perf so far, I think she's relatively stronger in languages/SS and average in Math/Science. She told me quite a number of her classmates attend/going to attend tuition (erm, i was under the wrong impression that not many go tuition initially).

When I asked her if she wants to go tuition for Math/Science she replied "no.".

dh thought maybe should let her go so that she is 'on par' with the rest (in terms of notes/preparations).

if her perf is average, is it good to let her attend tuition to push up her results ? and does tuition really help to improve grades?

I think it would depend on the kid..If your dd doesn't mind, let her try out tuition for the next semester. Otherwise, just continue to let her study by her own..maybe engine hasn't started yet haaaaaa :wink:

I also waiting eagerly for my ds to get back home so as to know his total results :lol:

For mine, her biggest compromise is attending chinese enrichment class.

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 8228 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:50 am

jtoh wrote:8228, Has your ds' English always been weak? I would be a little concerned because 45% is rather low, even for a GEP English paper. As far as I know, no one in my dd's cohort has ever failed English before. Especially at P4 where the syllabus is designed to be as encouraging to the GEP students as possible.

You should speak to your ds' English teacher and find out why he's not doing well.

English has always been his weakest subject although he was still able to score around 90% from p1 till p3. I was hoping he could get around 65% as he managed to score about 60% for the 2 mock tests. Getting below 45% was a shock to me. Has written an email to the EL teacher and awaiting for a reply.

BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Wed May 26, 2010 9:52 am

Zann wrote:
keroppi wrote:
8228 wrote:
cluelessmama wrote:i was looking thro' the notes i've taken down when i attended the parents briefing at the beginning of the year, and this was what i have jotted down: baseline - overall 70%, chinese 50%, EL 65%

I thought Chinese is 70%. Could anyone clarify this?

Gosh, I am going to confuse everyone further. I thought Chinese is 65%, same as EL ...

If I have not mistaken, the so-called "baseline" is to determine whether they are eligible to opt for HCL at end of P4. Here it goes, to be able to take HCL at P5 the base line is HCL:50%, EL 65% and 70% for the others.

Pls let me know if there is a GEP promotion baseline.

Zann: i think what you say make sense. Arhh, so it's me who needs to attend training for listening skills :clubmyself:

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby keroppi » Wed May 26, 2010 9:57 am

8228 wrote:
jtoh wrote:8228, Has your ds' English always been weak? I would be a little concerned because 45% is rather low, even for a GEP English paper. As far as I know, no one in my dd's cohort has ever failed English before. Especially at P4 where the syllabus is designed to be as encouraging to the GEP students as possible.

You should speak to your ds' English teacher and find out why he's not doing well.

English has always been his weakest subject although he was still able to score around 90% from p1 till p3. I was hoping he could get around 65% as he managed to score about 60% for the 2 mock tests. Getting below 45% was a shock to me. Has written an email to the EL teacher and awaiting for a reply.

Maybe the EL teacher can conduct remedial lessons for him. My DS GEP P4 teacher conducted 6 mths of remedial lessons for the 3 kids who had borderline scores (close to 50%) last year. They were given past year papers to do (guided of course). As far as I know, no one in my DS cohort has failed EL either.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 8228 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:58 am

vlim wrote:I think u if are thinking of changing a tuition centre, u can consider The learning lab or mindstretcher or otherwise as their English std is pretty high...

Thanks for your suggestion. Will consider. In fact, my ds did not have any tuition until his P3 SA1 results dropped (compared to P1 and P2). After the tuition, his results improved for CA2 and SA2. So I just let him continue with the same tutor. The tuition class is meant for P4 mainstream standard. It may not be suitable for the GEP standard.

BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres