Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby kiasulang » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:21 am

In my opinion, preparing your child to be selected for GEP is not advisable.

In order to maintain his/her GEP status, the child has to achieve an average overall score of 70% for his subjects. Individual subject has to be at least 70% for Math, Science and Social Studies, 65% for English and 50% for Chinese.

However, more than 90% of the GEP students are able to go to their school of choice through DSA.

kiasulang
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:12 pm

kiasulang wrote:In order to maintain his/her GEP status, the child has to achieve an average overall score of 70% for his subjects. Individual subject has to be at least 70% for Math, Science and Social Studies, 65% for English and 50% for Chinese.

Pardon me for my ignorance, is 70% very difficult to achieve in primary school now? Is my expectation too high? I thought if it is a GEPPER, their average score should be at least 80%+. And GEPPER English at 65% can still be a GEPPER, I will be concerned.

Postby kiasulang » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:29 am

ks2me wrote:
kiasulang wrote:In order to maintain his/her GEP status, the child has to achieve an average overall score of 70% for his subjects. Individual subject has to be at least 70% for Math, Science and Social Studies, 65% for English and 50% for Chinese.

Pardon me for my ignorance, is 70% very difficult to achieve in primary school now? Is my expectation too high? I thought if it is a GEPPER, their average score should be at least 80%+. And GEPPER English at 65% can still be a GEPPER, I will be concerned.

The children do not follow main stream syllabus i.e. subject textbooks are optional. They follow programmes from GEB, although they have to take the same PSLE papers.
Last edited by kiasulang on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiasulang
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby wiimum » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:16 pm

I guess for GEP student to get 65 for English and >80 for maths and science it is probably still okay. Afterall the child may be gifted in maths and science but not in languages.

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Emelyn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:51 pm

wiimum wrote:I guess for GEP student to get 65 for English and >80 for maths and science it is probably still okay. Afterall the child may be gifted in maths and science but not in languages.

The GEP Selection Test is on English and Maths.. Not Science....

Emelyn
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby lizawa » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:01 pm

ks2me wrote:

The GEP students have a different curriculum and they sit for different papers as the mainstream. Their papers are much harder and higher level.

Some P4 GEP students when they took their first test, got a big shock out of their lives. From 90+ in P3, suddenly,they are getting 60+ and 70+ is considered good. And some even fail the first test.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:33 pm

My son made it thru the 2 screening tests to start GEP in P4 this year.
To be honest my son is not very hardworking or diligent in his schoolwork.
He tends to be careless in exam too.
He is good with math (perfect score in his SA2 last year) and quite good in English and science but a bit weak in his higher chinese.
He tens to lose marks in open ended type of qustions in exams.
He probably would not have made it if the GEP selection tests are not in MCQ.format.

My wife and i decided to let him try out the GEP since he was already in a GEP+SAP school so there was no need to change school.

GEP is totally different from P3.
There are lots of projects, surveys, writeups etc.
He has 3 projects due in March.

As there are no desigmated textbooks, it's quite hard to follow his progress in class.
The math worksheets are tough.
For English, it's mainly reading as many books as possible. They were given a list of over 60 supplentary books to read this year.
For Chinese it's the same like all his peers but the higher chinese may be tough for students who switched from schools previouly doing normal chinese.
For science it's more on reserch than studying of facts like what his peers are doing.
Then there are the additonal examinable subjects like social studies.

The GEP students are required to stay back once a week too for computer lessons that include microsoft office,webpage designing, chinese computing etc.

At least he has no problem of fitting into a new school like those students from other schools.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ApronMama » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:54 pm

ngbrdad wrote:My son made it thru the 2 screening tests to start GEP in P4 this year.
To be honest my son is not very hardworking or diligent in his schoolwork.
He tends to be careless in exam too.
He is good with math (perfect score in his SA2 last year) and quite good in English and science but a bit weak in his higher chinese.
He tens to lose marks in open ended type of qustions in exams.
He probably would not have made it if the GEP selection tests are not in MCQ.format.

My wife and i decided to let him try out the GEP since he was already in a GEP+SAP school so there was no need to change school.

GEP is totally different from P3.
There are lots of projects, surveys, writeups etc.
He has 3 projects due in March.

As there are no desigmated textbooks, it's quite hard to follow his progress in class.
The math worksheets are tough.
For English, it's mainly reading as many books as possible. They were given a list of over 60 supplentary books to read this year.
For Chinese it's the same like all his peers but the higher chinese may be tough for students who switched from schools previouly doing normal chinese.
For science it's more on reserch than studying of facts like what his peers are doing.
Then there are the additonal examinable subjects like social studies.

The GEP students are required to stay back once a week too for computer lessons that include microsoft office,webpage designing, chinese computing etc.

At least he has no problem of fitting into a new school like those students from other schools.

Hi ngdrdad,

So are you glad where he is now and what would be your main concern of this course, if any ? Do you have to help him with his project and homework?

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:10 pm

lizawa wrote:
ks2me wrote:

The GEP students have a different curriculum and they sit for different papers as the mainstream. Their papers are much harder and higher level.

Some P4 GEP students when they took their first test, got a big shock out of their lives. From 90+ in P3, suddenly,they are getting 60+ and 70+ is considered good. And some even fail the first test.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense now. No wonder they cannot score as high. I hope parents or teachers explain this to them otherwise it will affect their esteem unnecessarily. They should at least know that they are being stretched and not that they have deteriorated. No doubt kids are smarter these days, we still have to remember they are children, with very little real experiences in life yet relative to an average adult.

Postby jedamum » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:32 pm

Have this being posted before?

I particularly find this line amusing...
In Singapore, I suspect if you're looking for a job, most companies won't care if you were in the GEP, unless it's the civil service. And I have never heard any kid say, "My dream is to be in the civil service!"

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to GEP