Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Zann » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:27 am

P4 parents, can share what is the deliverables like when school reopen for second SS portfolio assessmet. Due date(Aug) is still far away right? May I know whether this due date is for final or first draft? Any reccomendation of topics and what do you intend to do?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby - » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi all, I'm a GEPer from RGPS, P6 this year.

I think that portfolio is largely based on interest, so as to ensure the child does his best. It also cultivates interest - If you're more interested in internet gaming, there's no point doing a portfolio about Lee Kuan Yew. It kills time, it kills interest, AND most probably you won't do too well.

And another hint - In P4, I was on top of projects and stuff like portfolio, scored full marks. Two years ago, we had to do three portfolios instead of two. Moving on, I was more lax. Late nights more frequent. I told my mum I'd finish my portfolio (final submission) by the end of 1st week of June holidays, but we ended up camping up in front of the computer for hours into the night the day before submission. And I didn't do well. This year, I've finished both portfolios before SA1 :D

The PROCEDURE:
First of all, what are you (the child) interested in?
How can you relate the topic to the society, history, etc? Or maybe, what different contrasting views are there?
Next - Collecting information. That's when you load up your bags with books, jam up the computer with sites that don't load, buy stacks of newspapers that...
I think that it's best to have a wide spread of resources. News, books, and the net. One word - Exposure.
You may also consider carrying out surveys, interviews, experiments, etc.
Well then, write the report with an accompanying “artifact”. The report is most probably a narrative of the artifact.

The topics that I have done:
P4: My Great Grandfather’s Diary (History of Singapore); Pocket Money – How much is enough? (Survey); My mother is a working mother (Contrast between housewife and working mum, i.e. pros and cons of each)
P5: Changes in Education: The Singapore Story; Tuition Mania
P6: Global Warming requires Global Action; Extending our Hearts to the Disabled

DON’T PLAGERIZE.

Forms of presentation:
Report – Write up
Artifact – Menu, Model, Poster, Picture Album, etc.
We’re also allowed to combine the report and the artifact – Diaries, journals, etc. Or if you have done and interview/survey, that can count as the artifact and be presented in the report.

Hope this is useful :wink:

And well, my teacher seperates Portfolio 1 from 2. Meaning the Portfolio 1 draft was due in March and final in May. The Portfolio 2 draft was due May and final in July. But no harm finishing them early.

-
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby angelee998 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:29 pm

- wrote:Hi all, I'm a GEPer from RGPS, P6 this year.

I think that portfolio is largely based on interest, so as to ensure the child does his best. It also cultivates interest - If you're more interested in internet gaming, there's no point doing a portfolio about Lee Kuan Yew. It kills time, it kills interest, AND most probably you won't do too well.

And another hint - In P4, I was on top of projects and stuff like portfolio, scored full marks. Two years ago, we had to do three portfolios instead of two. Moving on, I was more lax. Late nights more frequent. I told my mum I'd finish my portfolio (final submission) by the end of 1st week of June holidays, but we ended up camping up in front of the computer for hours into the night the day before submission. And I didn't do well. This year, I've finished both portfolios before SA1 :D

The PROCEDURE:
First of all, what are you (the child) interested in?
How can you relate the topic to the society, history, etc? Or maybe, what different contrasting views are there?
Next - Collecting information. That's when you load up your bags with books, jam up the computer with sites that don't load, buy stacks of newspapers that...
I think that it's best to have a wide spread of resources. News, books, and the net. One word - Exposure.
You may also consider carrying out surveys, interviews, experiments, etc.
Well then, write the report with an accompanying “artifact”. The report is most probably a narrative of the artifact.

The topics that I have done:
P4: My Great Grandfather’s Diary (History of Singapore); Pocket Money – How much is enough? (Survey); My mother is a working mother (Contrast between housewife and working mum, i.e. pros and cons of each)
P5: Changes in Education: The Singapore Story; Tuition Mania
P6: Global Warming requires Global Action; Extending our Hearts to the Disabled

DON’T PLAGERIZE.

Forms of presentation:
Report – Write up
Artifact – Menu, Model, Poster, Picture Album, etc.
We’re also allowed to combine the report and the artifact – Diaries, journals, etc. Or if you have done and interview/survey, that can count as the artifact and be presented in the report.

Hope this is useful :wink:

And well, my teacher seperates Portfolio 1 from 2. Meaning the Portfolio 1 draft was due in March and final in May. The Portfolio 2 draft was due May and final in July. But no harm finishing them early.

Hi, wow those are really good tips! Wish my dd had those when she was in P4 last time... Just curious, are you really in RGPS P6 GEP? Because that's where my daughter is too.. :)

angelee998
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Herbie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:33 am

Today P4 GEP will be at NYPS for the Chinese Poem competition.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MdmKS » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:57 am

Herbie wrote:Today P4 GEP will be at NYPS for the Chinese Poem competition.

Not just GEP, mainstream included.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Zann » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:59 am

GEP parents, Is the Computer Enrichment Programme for GEP students chargeable in your school?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ksme » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:30 am

Science practical common test for P4 is next week. How is the test conducted and any preparations required? Can any parent share? Million thanks!

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:24 pm

no preparation...I suppose need to read the question carefully to avoid doing the experiment wrongly...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ksme » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:57 pm

Thanks vlim!

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sgegep » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:35 pm

ksme wrote:Thanks vlim!

It is very important that your child knows how to plot graph, how to convert units etc ..... The teacher will go through with the kids in class. Don't worry, it is not too difficult.

sgegep
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to GEP