35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:41 pm

chamonix wrote:
jtoh wrote:I am NOT generalizing. I am referring specifically to the cases I know PERSONALLY. I wrote specifically "the ones who entered via GEP prep courses struggled throughout their three years..." I did not say all those who did poorly came in through prep classes.

I am not aware of any who went through extensive training who are doing well because of good attitude. Do you? And if they are doing well, how would anyone know if they were not already gifted to begin with and that the training merely enhanced their ability?

Yes, I know of such cases personally.

Rereading my response to you, I realised there must be some miscommunication. I didn't imply that you said all those who did poorly came in through prep classes. Rather, it's a fact that the naturally gifted ones (ie. without attending any enrichment classes) could also perform badly because of poor attitudes towards study or simply because the topics covered are not their areas of interests. You are very fortunate that your kid is in a class with good studying attitudes.

I see what you mean. Yes, poor attitude can result in poor results regardless of whether you're gifted or not, as the GEP branch is always reminding parents.

You and I share the same view that trying to beat the system will only result in misery for the child. I wish parents would be more aware of this. But year in year out, I hear of parents sending their kids for GEP training classes in the hopes of getting the magic ticket to GEP. Sigh!

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:34 pm

jtoh wrote:You and I share the same view that trying to beat the system will only result in misery for the child. I wish parents would be more aware of this. But year in year out, I hear of parents sending their kids for GEP training classes in the hopes of getting the magic ticket to GEP. Sigh!

That's what prompted my earlier question - Is it a good idea to send gifted kids to GEP prep course? Because if they are 'naturally gifted' (say based on IQ test resuts) but in case didn't pass GEP screening due to insufficient exposure to GEP style of questions... like that seem a bit 冤枉 not to make it through the screening :nailbite:

That's not really beatng the system right? Since they are indeed gifted :scratchhead:

Okay, I reckon some would argue these kids would get in with or without GEP prep class. But kinda of uneasy to go for exam without any sort of preparation... 不怕一万只怕万一
Last edited by sleepy on Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:37 pm

sleepy wrote:
jtoh wrote:You and I share the same view that trying to beat the system will only result in misery for the child. I wish parents would be more aware of this. But year in year out, I hear of parents sending their kids for GEP training classes in the hopes of getting the magic ticket to GEP. Sigh!

That's what prompted my earlier question - Is it a good idea to send gifted kids to GEP prep course? Because if they are 'naturally gifted' (say based on IQ test resuts) but in case didn't pass GEP screening due to insufficient exposure to GEP style of questions... like that seem a bit 冤枉 not to make it through the screening :nailbite:

That's not really beatng the system right? Since they are indeed gifted :scratchhead:

but if send to prep course, how to know whether is naturally 'gifted' or 'enhanced' by the prep course? hard to tell .....unless go through the 3 years of 'suffering' from p4 to p6
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:42 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:but if send to prep course, how to know whether is naturally 'gifted' or 'enhanced' by the prep course? hard to tell .....unless go through the 3 years of 'suffering' from p4 to p6

Based on IQ test report - I supposed can consider 'naturally gifted'?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:46 pm

sleepy wrote:

if more and more parents sending their kids to such preparation course ...maybe lor...there again we parents are the best person to know whether our kids have 'something special with their brain or not'...no point forcing them into the programme if they cannot cope..so is still up to the discretion of the parents.,,maybe it do help for those kids who are in 2-3%..and being the top 1% is not easy anyway... :roll: ...
oops I hope I am talking sense :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:47 pm

sleepy wrote:

My view is that if you are gifted, you will be able to clear the test. I believe these tests are designed in such a way that you should be able to score in it if you are gifted. I also don't believe in paying thousands of dollars to GEP training centres. :D

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:51 pm

A relative of mine was tested gifted at P1. Quite high some more, heard 99.5% - 99.8% percentile. His mom thought sure get in to GEP so didn't bother to send him for any prep course. He didn't get in!

His mom sort of regretted her decision not to send him for prep class. Nevertheless that boy consistently top in his cohort :!:

That's why I'm wondering are there kids who are tested gifted but didn't get into GEP :|

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:52 pm

jtoh wrote:
I see what you mean. Yes, poor attitude can result in poor results regardless of whether you're gifted or not, as the GEP branch is always reminding parents.

Yes, the attitude make a great difference in the 2 cases I know. They happened to be in the same class.

Yup, we do. :celebrate: But I can't fault parents for sending their kids for GEP training classes lest they say I sour grapes. I'm not in Singapore, cannot send mah. :P
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:55 pm

chamonix wrote:
jtoh wrote:

Yes, the attitude make a great difference in the 2 cases I know. They happened to be in the same class.

Yup, we do. :celebrate: But I can't fault parents for sending their kids for GEP training classes lest they say I sour grapes. I'm not in Singapore, cannot send mah. :P

haha! Is your child in GEP currently?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby metz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:56 pm

sleepy wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:but if send to prep course, how to know whether is naturally 'gifted' or 'enhanced' by the prep course? hard to tell .....unless go through the 3 years of 'suffering' from p4 to p6

Based on IQ test report - I supposed can consider 'naturally gifted'?

Based on what the officer at GEP branch told me, they do not accept IQ test results as an indication that the child is gifted. Which is why the child is still required to take the GEP screening tests. Otherwise, MOE would have exempted those with IQ tests results from taking the GEP screening tests.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP