Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby vlim » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:57 pm

sleepy wrote:A relative of mine was tested gifted at P1. Quite high some more, heard 99.5% - 99.8% percentile. His mom thought sure get in to GEP so didn't bother to send him for any prep course. He didn't get in!

His mom sort of regretted her decision not to send him for prep class. Nevertheless that boy consistently top in his cohort :!:

That's why I'm wondering are there kids who are tested gifted but didn't get into GEP :|

sorry to say huh..imo..for p1 to p3 works, if the kids academic ability are above average and studied hard and with parents guidance or tuition..usually they can be top few of the class...but that doesn't imply that they are 'gifted'...u will see the true colour as they go up the level...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:00 pm

sleepy wrote:A relative of mine was tested gifted at P1. Quite high some more, heard 99.5% - 99.8% percentile. His mom thought sure get in to GEP so didn't bother to send him for any prep course. He didn't get in!

His mom sort of regretted her decision not to send him for prep class. Nevertheless that boy consistently top in his cohort :!:

That's why I'm wondering are there kids who are tested gifted but didn't get into GEP :|

There are different types of tests to test for IQ and giftedness. Some may be held in higher regard than others. I wonder if the mother could have appealed to MOE to have her child re-tested.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:00 pm

chamonix wrote:
sleepy wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:but if send to prep course, how to know whether is naturally 'gifted' or 'enhanced' by the prep course? hard to tell .....unless go through the 3 years of 'suffering' from p4 to p6

Based on IQ test report - I supposed can consider 'naturally gifted'?

Based on what the officer at GEP branch told me, they do not accept IQ test results as an indication that the child is gifted. Which is why the child is still required to take the GEP screening tests. Otherwise, MOE would have exempted those with IQ tests results from taking the GEP screening tests.

No, not talking about exemption here.

I mean those kids who had sat for IQ tests earlier when they were younger and are found to be gifted. Hence can say they are 'naturally gifted'

When these kids sit for GEP screening, there is a possilbity of not getting into GEP? due to insufficient exposure to GEP style of questions

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:01 pm

jtoh wrote:haha! Is your child in GEP currently?

Nope, they are still too young. But the 2 cases and another 2 (in sec schools) are pretty close contacts. The rest I know them from a distance. The last straw - my hubby's boss' son was one of recipients for Lee Kuan Yew scholarship last year. So, that's why I know a little about these GEP kids.
Last edited by metz on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:05 pm

jtoh wrote:There are different types of tests to test for IQ and giftedness. Some may be held in higher regard than others. I wonder if the mother could have appealed to MOE to have her child re-tested.

It's the standard test WISC IV.

I kaypo google for it after I heard from my relative :wink:

vlim wrote:
sleepy wrote:Quite high some more, heard 99.5% - 99.8% percentile.

sorry to say huh..imo..for p1 to p3 works, if the kids academic ability are above average and studied hard and with parents guidance or tuition..usually they can be top few of the class...but that doesn't imply that they are 'gifted'...u will see the true colour as they go up the level...

So IQ report not accurate :scratchhead:

By the way '99.5% - 99.8% percentile' is referring to IQ report, not his school grades

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:29 pm

Actually I do have a burning question to ask, does any of the GEP parents here know of kids who took the GEP test at P4?

We'll probably be back in Singapore when my kid is in P4. At the moment, I'm not sure if it's a better idea to send him back for the GEP tests at P3 or P4. Can anybody please advise?
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:33 pm

chamonix wrote:Actually I do have a burning question to ask, does any of the GEP parents here know of kids who took the GEP test at P4?

We'll probably be back in Singapore when my kid is in P4. At the moment, I'm not sure if it's a better idea to send him back for the GEP tests at P3 or P4. Can anybody please advise?

the gep screening is hold in p3 abt this period...so if your kid only back in Singapore in p4 then, I think, he will miss the chance...
For more detail, u can go to moe gep site to know more abt it and also u can email to moe gep dept for further enquiry and clarification.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:41 pm

vlim wrote:the gep screening is hold in p3 abt this period...so if your kid only back in Singapore in p4 then, I think, he will miss the chance...

I thought so too. But the GEP branch officer told me that a returning child (from overseas) has the choice of taking the GEP tests at P4, P5 and P6 and advised me to let him take the test at P4. But I am concerned if there will be a big jump between P3 and P4 tests. We are most likely to return in Nov/Dec of the year when he's in P3.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:47 pm

chamonix wrote:
vlim wrote:the gep screening is hold in p3 abt this period...so if your kid only back in Singapore in p4 then, I think, he will miss the chance...

I thought so too. But the GEP branch officer told me that a returning child (from overseas) has the choice of taking the GEP tests at P4, P5 and P6 and advised me to let him take the test at P4. But I am concerned if there will be a big jump between P3 and P4 tests. We are most likely to return in Dec of the year when he's in P3.

oh is that so :? but what is the use of taking it at p5 and p6..the kid would have miss the 2 to 3 yrs programme? interesting to know that :roll:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mommyNg » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:08 pm

chamonix wrote:

I thought so too. But the GEP branch officer told me that a returning child (from overseas) has the choice of taking the GEP tests at P4, P5 and P6 and advised me to let him take the test at P4. But I am concerned if there will be a big jump between P3 and P4 tests. We are most likely to return in Nov/Dec of the year when he's in P3.

Hi chamonix, I heard of someone who sent his child back for GEP testing at P3 even though the family was still overseas. Did you ask the GEP officer why did he advise you to let your son take the test at P4?

Hee hee, just KPO, where are you currently?

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres