All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:13 pm

mommyNg wrote:
chamonix wrote:
vlim wrote:the gep screening is hold in p3 abt this period...so if your kid only back in Singapore in p4 then, I think, he will miss the chance...


I thought so too. But the GEP branch officer told me that a returning child (from overseas) has the choice of taking the GEP tests at P4, P5 and P6 and advised me to let him take the test at P4. But I am concerned if there will be a big jump between P3 and P4 tests. We are most likely to return in Nov/Dec of the year when he's in P3.


Hi chamonix, I heard of someone who sent his child back for GEP testing at P3 even though the family was still overseas. Did you ask the GEP officer why did he advise you to let your son take the test at P4?

Hee hee, just KPO, where are you currently?


currently in Chamonix, a nice place in France, just beneath Mont Blanc......
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:18 pm

chamonix wrote:Actually I do have a burning question to ask, does any of the GEP parents here know of kids who took the GEP test at P4?

We'll probably be back in Singapore when my kid is in P4. At the moment, I'm not sure if it's a better idea to send him back for the GEP tests at P3 or P4. Can anybody please advise?


If it isn't too difficult logistically, I think it would be better to take the test in P3 so he/she can enter GEP at P4. At P4, the kids are eased into the GEP programme. At P5, the work is piled on. So it might be a bit more difficult to adjust if your kid were to join GEP in P5.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11124
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 97


Postby metz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:40 pm

mommyNg wrote:Hi chamonix, I heard of someone who sent his child back for GEP testing at P3 even though the family was still overseas. Did you ask the GEP officer why did he advise you to let your son take the test at P4?

Hee hee, just KPO, where are you currently?


Hi mommyNg,

Do you know when the parent sent his child back? This year? For both rounds?

I called up the GEP branch sometime in April this year and asked if it's possible for a child to be exempted from the first round and just go directly for the second test. This used to be allowed for kids staying overseas with their parents. Apparently, it's not encouraged presently. In addition, a child who successfully cleared the P3 GEP tests is deemed as relinquishing his/her GEP status if he/she continues to apply for leave of absence. He/She is re-admitted back into GEP only if he/she manages to clear the GEP test at the time of re-admission, ie. could be P4, P5 or P6. Since at that time of my enquiry, I wasn't sure when exactly our return date would be, the officer advised me to let my son take the GEP test at the time when we return to Sg.

Ah, verykiasu2010 has revealed my whereabouts. Thanks, verykiasu2010. :D
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:38 pm
Total Likes: 4


Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:42 pm

chamonix wrote:
mommyNg wrote:Hi chamonix, I heard of someone who sent his child back for GEP testing at P3 even though the family was still overseas. Did you ask the GEP officer why did he advise you to let your son take the test at P4?

Hee hee, just KPO, where are you currently?


Hi mommyNg,

Do you know when the parent sent his child back? This year? For both rounds?

I called up the GEP branch sometime in April this year and asked if it's possible for a child to be exempted from the first round and just go directly for the second test. This used to be allowed for kids staying overseas with their parents. Apparently, it's not encouraged presently. In addition, a child who successfully cleared the P3 GEP tests is deemed as relinquishing his/her GEP status if he/she continues to apply for leave of absence. He/She is re-admitted back into GEP only if he/she manages to clear the GEP test at the time of re-admission, ie. could be P4, P5 or P6. Since at that time of my enquiry, I wasn't sure when exactly our return date would be, the officer advised me to let my son take the GEP test at the time when we return to Sg.

Ah, verykiasu2010 has revealed my whereabouts. Thanks, verykiasu2010. :D


no lah, you having holiday there mah

if you send you child back to Singapore for GEP testing, that will be two trips (first round - anytime now; and second round testing)
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby metz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:48 pm

jtoh wrote:If it isn't too difficult logistically, I think it would be better to take the test in P3 so he/she can enter GEP at P4. At P4, the kids are eased into the GEP programme. At P5, the work is piled on. So it might be a bit more difficult to adjust if your kid were to join GEP in P5.


He'll be back in the system in P4, regardless when he takes the GEP tests. I am only concerned that I would be putting him at a disadvantage should we decide to let him take the test at the beginning of P4. But if I were to bring them home earlier, that is, back in Sg in August, I worried about them adjusting to the local school system (when schools are having tests and exams). Sigh... that's why I am in a dilemma.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:38 pm
Total Likes: 4



Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:50 pm

chamonix wrote:
jtoh wrote:If it isn't too difficult logistically, I think it would be better to take the test in P3 so he/she can enter GEP at P4. At P4, the kids are eased into the GEP programme. At P5, the work is piled on. So it might be a bit more difficult to adjust if your kid were to join GEP in P5.


He'll be back in the system in P4, regardless when he takes the GEP tests. I am only concerned that I would be putting him at a disadvantage should we decide to let him take the test at the beginning of P4. But if I were to bring them home earlier, that is, back in Sg in August, I worried about them adjusting to the local school system (when schools are having tests and exams). Sigh... that's why I am in a dilemma.


CA2 is over

yes, the big one will be SA 2, but probably can talk to the school admin to see how to place him...I am sure they can't just take the SA 2 result as it is. And admission test plus the GEP test might be a better gauge
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby metz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:53 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:if you send you child back to Singapore for GEP testing, that will be two trips (first round - anytime now; and second round testing)


:moneyflies: :moneyflies:
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:38 pm
Total Likes: 4


Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:58 pm

chamonix wrote:
jtoh wrote:If it isn't too difficult logistically, I think it would be better to take the test in P3 so he/she can enter GEP at P4. At P4, the kids are eased into the GEP programme. At P5, the work is piled on. So it might be a bit more difficult to adjust if your kid were to join GEP in P5.


He'll be back in the system in P4, regardless when he takes the GEP tests. I am only concerned that I would be putting him at a disadvantage should we decide to let him take the test at the beginning of P4. But if I were to bring them home earlier, that is, back in Sg in August, I worried about them adjusting to the local school system (when schools are having tests and exams). Sigh... that's why I am in a dilemma.


They'll let you take the test at the beginning of P4? How about at the end of P3 when you get back to Singapore. That way, your child can start P4 GEP with everyone else. I think if that's allowed, it'll be better than taking it in August and October, where you'll have to battle with coming back twice plus SA2s.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11124
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 97


Postby metz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:05 pm

jtoh wrote:They'll let you take the test at the beginning of P4? How about at the end of P3 when you get back to Singapore. That way, your child can start P4 GEP with everyone else. I think if that's allowed, it'll be better than taking it in August and October, where you'll have to battle with coming back twice plus SA2s.


That would be indeed be the best solution. That's why I hope to hear from parents who have gone through or heard about such similar situations.
Last edited by metz on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:38 pm
Total Likes: 4


Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:10 pm

chamonix wrote:
jtoh wrote:They'll let you take the test at the beginning of P4? How about at the end of P3 when you get back to Singapore. That way, your child can start P4 GEP with everyone else. I think if that's allowed, it'll be better than taking it in August and October, where you'll have to battle with coming back twice plus SA2s.


That would be indeed be the best solution. That's why I hope to hear from parents who have gone through such similar situations.


One of my dd's classmates flew back just to take her tests in P3 and joined the class when she came back in P4.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11124
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 97


PreviousNext

Return to GEP