Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby metz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:14 pm

jtoh wrote:One of my dd's classmates flew back just to take her tests in P3 and joined the class when she came back in P4.

Looks like sending them back is the best option. Thanks :D
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby r2010 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:56 pm

mommyNg wrote:
chamonix wrote:
vlim wrote:the gep screening is hold in p3 abt this period...so if your kid only back in Singapore in p4 then, I think, he will miss the chance...

I thought so too. But the GEP branch officer told me that a returning child (from overseas) has the choice of taking the GEP tests at P4, P5 and P6 and advised me to let him take the test at P4. But I am concerned if there will be a big jump between P3 and P4 tests. We are most likely to return in Nov/Dec of the year when he's in P3.

Hi chamonix, I heard of someone who sent his child back for GEP testing at P3 even though the family was still overseas. Did you ask the GEP officer why did he advise you to let your son take the test at P4?

Hee hee, just KPO, where are you currently?

If you are confident that your child has a high chance to get into the GEp. It is worth it the effort to fly back and take test.

r2010
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mommyNg » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:42 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
currently in Chamonix, a nice place in France, just beneath Mont Blanc......

wah.... so nice ah.... :D

chamonix wrote:
Hi mommyNg,

Do you know when the parent sent his child back? This year? For both rounds?

I called up the GEP branch sometime in April this year and asked if it's possible for a child to be exempted from the first round and just go directly for the second test. This used to be allowed for kids staying overseas with their parents. Apparently, it's not encouraged presently. In addition, a child who successfully cleared the P3 GEP tests is deemed as relinquishing his/her GEP status if he/she continues to apply for leave of absence. He/She is re-admitted back into GEP only if he/she manages to clear the GEP test at the time of re-admission, ie. could be P4, P5 or P6. Since at that time of my enquiry, I wasn't sure when exactly our return date would be, the officer advised me to let my son take the GEP test at the time when we return to Sg.

I think the parent sent the child back last year around August for GEP screening, passed, but didn't get through the selection round in Oct...

It's interesting... I didn't know that it used to be possible for a child living overseas to be exempted from the first round and just go directly for the second test. So MOE just "discouraged" (read: need special reasons), or totally forbid this practice anymore?

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:58 pm

mommyNg wrote:
It's interesting... I didn't know that it used to be possible for a child living overseas to be exempted from the first round and just go directly for the second test. So MOE just "discouraged" (read: need special reasons), or totally forbid this practice anymore?

I thot 1st round was exempted for those living overseas. It has been changed?

Anyway, the ones i know, they get into GEP anyway, bc the overseas schooling (often in international schools) is already very much geared like GEP (small class size, exploratory learning), so the child is quite used to that style. Then they just keep their GEP status just in case they come back to singapore. Often, they are exempted from MT too since they are away for extended periods. They would come back to join the classes for a few months during summer hols each year. Then come back to take PSLE (for 3 subjects bc exempt MT), and then do DSA, go on to sec school IP programmes, also on hold bc they are mostly away, and attend school only during summer hols. Interesting arrangement?

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:05 am

chamonix wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:if you send you child back to Singapore for GEP testing, that will be two trips (first round - anytime now; and second round testing)

:moneyflies: :moneyflies:

Your child had sat for IQ test? gifted?
If good chance then worth the airtickets :wink:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ApronMama » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:06 am

jtoh wrote:
chamonix wrote:Actually I do have a burning question to ask, does any of the GEP parents here know of kids who took the GEP test at P4?

We'll probably be back in Singapore when my kid is in P4. At the moment, I'm not sure if it's a better idea to send him back for the GEP tests at P3 or P4. Can anybody please advise?

If it isn't too difficult logistically, I think it would be better to take the test in P3 so he/she can enter GEP at P4. At P4, the kids are eased into the GEP programme. At P5, the work is piled on. So it might be a bit more difficult to adjust if your kid were to join GEP in P5.

I heard of a fren's fren's child flew back to take the selection test and got in. However the family was still oversea and the child had never attended the GEP course here, but the GEP status remained and EESIS was still kept for when the child came back to attend IP sec school in a independent school here. Dont think the child ever needed to take Social Studies oversea.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: "GEP Preparatory classes"...what a joke.

Postby ksme » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:17 am

Lilac66 wrote: Oh yes, to each his own. But just wondering about the kids, whether being 'artificially' trained to get in will spell trouble for them in future. Heard of cases whereby the children ended up in IMH. Real cases. :(

Hmmmm, poor kids. :gloomy:

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby metz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:13 am

phankao wrote:
mommyNg wrote:

I thot 1st round was exempted for those living overseas. It has been changed?

Anyway, the ones i know, they get into GEP anyway, bc the overseas schooling (often in international schools) is already very much geared like GEP (small class size, exploratory learning), so the child is quite used to that style. Then they just keep their GEP status just in case they come back to singapore. Often, they are exempted from MT too since they are away for extended periods. They would come back to join the classes for a few months during summer hols each year. Then come back to take PSLE (for 3 subjects bc exempt MT), and then do DSA, go on to sec school IP programmes, also on hold bc they are mostly away, and attend school only during summer hols. Interesting arrangement?

That's what I understood too. But now, the rules seem to have changed. The kid no longer gets to keep the GEP status once he/she is away from the system. To be re-admitted into GEP, he/she will have to take a GEP test again upon return. So, there is no point taking the GEP tests at P3 if the child is not staying in Sg thereafter.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:23 am

sleepy wrote:Your child had sat for IQ test? gifted?
If good chance then worth the airtickets

Didn't bother sending him for tests since the GEP branch told me there was no point in doing so, especially when he's not in Sg.

It was the talk with his teachers during PTM that encouraged me to think about the tests. :D

r2010 wrote:If you are confident that your child has a high chance to get into the GEp. It is worth it the effort to fly back and take test.

Confidence aside, we also don't wish to deprive him of any opportunity (available to all school kids) since we choose to put him back into the Sg education system.
Last edited by metz on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: "GEP Preparatory classes"...what a joke.

Postby metz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:48 am

ksme wrote:
Lilac66 wrote: Oh yes, to each his own. But just wondering about the kids, whether being 'artificially' trained to get in will spell trouble for them in future. Heard of cases whereby the children ended up in IMH. Real cases. :(

Hmmmm, poor kids. :gloomy:

It's not only the GEP but also happening in the mainstream. I heard one P5/P6 kid from a school in the West commit suicide last year. Really sad...
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge