Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby jtoh » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:10 am

phankao wrote:
mommyNg wrote:
It's interesting... I didn't know that it used to be possible for a child living overseas to be exempted from the first round and just go directly for the second test. So MOE just "discouraged" (read: need special reasons), or totally forbid this practice anymore?

I thot 1st round was exempted for those living overseas. It has been changed?

Anyway, the ones i know, they get into GEP anyway, bc the overseas schooling (often in international schools) is already very much geared like GEP (small class size, exploratory learning), so the child is quite used to that style. Then they just keep their GEP status just in case they come back to singapore. Often, they are exempted from MT too since they are away for extended periods. They would come back to join the classes for a few months during summer hols each year. Then come back to take PSLE (for 3 subjects bc exempt MT), and then do DSA, go on to sec school IP programmes, also on hold bc they are mostly away, and attend school only during summer hols. Interesting arrangement?

Very interesting indeed. Sounds like a great arrangement.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Re: "GEP Preparatory classes"...what a joke.

Postby ApronMama » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:56 am

chamonix wrote:
ksme wrote:
Lilac66 wrote: Oh yes, to each his own. But just wondering about the kids, whether being 'artificially' trained to get in will spell trouble for them in future. Heard of cases whereby the children ended up in IMH. Real cases. :(

Hmmmm, poor kids. :gloomy:

It's not only the GEP but also happening in the mainstream. I heard one P5/P6 kid from a school in the West commit suicide last year. Really sad...

The pressure usually comes from parents then anywhere else.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby metz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:07 am

r2010 wrote:If you are confident that your child has a high chance to get into the GEp. It is worth it the effort to fly back and take test.

Meant to include this - not many parents can be confident about their kids getting into GEP, definitely not me. It's just a chance most parents living overseas has to take.

If the child gets in, it's a great learning opportunity ahead for him/her. Otherwise, it's an experience for him/her.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: "GEP Preparatory classes"...what a joke.

Postby Lilac66 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:34 am

ApronMama wrote:
chamonix wrote:
ksme wrote:
Lilac66 wrote: Oh yes, to each his own. But just wondering about the kids, whether being 'artificially' trained to get in will spell trouble for them in future. Heard of cases whereby the children ended up in IMH. Real cases. :(

Hmmmm, poor kids. :gloomy:

It's not only the GEP but also happening in the mainstream. I heard one P5/P6 kid from a school in the West commit suicide last year. Really sad...

The pressure usually comes from parents then anywhere else.

True, but GEPers will have it tougher. Not only is the syllabus tougher than mainstream, but this group is seen as 'doing no wrong' in the sense , they will not fail, they will do well in every aspect PSLE, DSA... I mean won't you raise an eyebrow if someone tells you a GEPer fails any subject? That's why if they are not 'naturally gifted', the pressure on them is going to be immense, and parents' support and understanding is so vital.

Lilac66
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsSeah » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:54 pm

What is the advantage of putting our kids in GEPS course? :?

MrsSeah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sleepy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:13 pm

MrsSeah wrote:What is the advantage of putting our kids in GEPS course? :?

1. more challenging curriculum
2. smaller class size

If your child is grossly underchallenged in mainstream, GEP would be good for him

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lilac66 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:31 pm

I'm with you on this. :D

Lilac66
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:48 pm

sleepy wrote:

2. smaller class size

If your child is grossly underchallenged in mainstream, GEP would be good for him

I agree. Quite often the gifted kids are bored with regular syllabus by P3 and they start to cruise along and not pay much attention.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MrsSeah » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:09 pm

sleepy wrote:

2. smaller class size

Thanks. :D May I know what is the class size like?

MrsSeah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby keroppi » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:50 pm

MrsSeah wrote:
sleepy wrote:

2. smaller class size

Thanks. :D May I know what is the class size like?

Max class size of 25. My DS class size is less than that- maybe there are kids on LOA.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge