Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby TwaTau » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:21 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:for your info, for RI's DSA for GEPpers, those average less than 80% overall will need to do GAT.....and some failed to secure an offer from RI

Wow, you are very well informed. Those are the school GEP average score. I guess I have to use more of the "threat" to motivate DS further.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:23 pm

TwaTau wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:for your info, for RI's DSA for GEPpers, those average less than 80% overall will need to do GAT.....and some failed to secure an offer from RI

Wow, you are very well informed. Those are the school GEP average score. I guess I have to use more of the "threat" to motivate DS further.

you see, the GEPpers are tested nationally uniformly as all their exam papers are set by the GEP branch, so regardless of which GEP schools they are from, their standard is the same....hence RI takes the overall average mark of 80% as a cut off for GAT....
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:28 pm

TwaTau wrote:

huh..sure 80% is the average?..i thought it is above average..

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lilac66 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:39 pm

Just a thought...actually what constitutes training? Does going through some Olympiad Maths sums to expose the child and explaining the difficult concepts to him equals training? What do the centres do that are different from what we can do at home, other than the drilling. Of course by going through concepts, I mean just explaining, not drilling and having lots of repetitions to make him just remember the steps to attack similar types of questions. :?

Lilac66
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:40 pm

TwaTau wrote:

I guess your child isn't DSA age yet. :D Yes, it's published at the RI/RGS NYGH websites that GEP students need to score >80% to be exempted from the GAT test. Of course this may change through the years.

So there's time to encourage your son to work harder.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:42 pm

vlim wrote:
TwaTau wrote:

huh..sure 80% is the average?..i thought it is above average..

The teachers will tell you that >80% average is good, not just average.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Trapwithin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Zann wrote:
KSP wrote:Is it true that GEPers are more quiet and better behave than other?

Definitely not. But some commented that they have no EQ :? which I also disagree.

Though having difficult in relating to other people is listed as one of the traits in a gifted child not all have that issue. Afterall is only one of the possible traits.

The GEP kids that I knew do not have that kind of issue. It boils down a lot to their personality rather than their giftedness.

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Trapwithin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:06 pm

vlim wrote:just curious why those kids have so much time to go for so many tuitions ... scoring mid 70 to mid 80 should be above average liao.. :D

Mid 70 to Mid 80 in GEP class is not just normal above average.
It is above average in GEP class :D

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Trapwithin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:11 pm

HCL or CL still follow the Mainstream right?
There is no special lesson for HCL in GEP I think.

Thus GEP kids that is weak in HCL/CL, parent will still send them for enrichment, afterall HCL/CL still contribute 25% of PSLE.

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:26 pm

Trapwithin wrote:HCL or CL still follow the Mainstream right?
There is no special lesson for HCL in GEP I think.

Thus GEP kids that is weak in HCL/CL, parent will still send them for enrichment, afterall HCL/CL still contribute 25% of PSLE.

why should GEP kids be necessarily be weak in HCL or CL ? where is the correlation for this ?

all GEP centres run HCL lessons

may be you are truly trapped within your warped logic on GEP and HCL / CL

GEP kids taking HCL is doing the same HCL as the mainstream HCL

(just being blunt and not to offend)
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres