35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby ngbrdad » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:00 am

aggellim wrote:
ks2me wrote:Thanks for the explanation. It is great to know that there are schools out there which bridge the learning process for their good students. The labelling is not important but more importantly, the bright kids, not up to GEP level at least get some exposure to similar learning process. Do you know if this twinning program is unique to this school only or applicable to most GEP schools?

Primary Gifted Education Programme (GEP) (Primary 4 to 6)
School Nature of School

Anglo-Chinese School (Primary) Boys
Catholic High School (Primary)* Boys
Henry Park Primary School Co-ed
Nan Hua Primary School* Co-ed
Nanyang Primary School* Co-ed
Raffles Girls' Primary School Girls
Rosyth School Co-ed
St Hilda's Primary School Co-ed
Tao Nan School* Co-ed

* Special Assistance Plan (SAP) Schools which offer only Chinese Language as Mother Tongue.

From 2008, all 9 primary GEP centres introduced initiatives to promote greater interaction between GEP and non-GEP pupils, allowing them to learn, work and play together on a daily basis.

The integration models proposed generally take one of 2 forms:

Integrated form classes comprising GEP and non-GEP pupils. The form class will have common lessons for all subjects except the school’s GEP core curriculum. GEP pupils attend separate classes for English Language, Mathematics and Science. This model is implemented in Nan Hua Primary School and Tao Nan School (BiCEP classes) for both Primary 4 and Primary 5 in 2008.

Separate form classes for GEP and non-GEP pupils. Pupils will be pulled out of their form class for combined lessons in Art and Crafts, Civics and Moral Education, Chinese Language / Higher Chinese, Music and Physical Education. This model is implemented in the other 7 centres for all Primary 4 classes in 2008.

All 9 schools will continue to provide enhanced opportunities for greater integration through schoolwide activities, CCAs and community involvement programmes. :celebrate:

HOpe this helps :welcome:

My son is in Nan Hua.
The BICEP class in Tao Nan is a bit different from twinning.
The students have to be very good in Chinese to get in.
The GEP students who opted for BICEP will have to sit for a qualifying test to see whether they can join in or not.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:15 am

Below is the link to the annex on moe website on the integration programme for GEP in Nan Hua and Tao Nan Primary

http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2007/ ... nnex-1.doc

The GEP students in Nan Hua are all integrated with the other high ability students and the high ability students get a lot of exposure to GEP teaching.

Whereas for the BICEP in Tao Nan, only GEP students who qualify for BICEP take part in the integration classes. The rest of the GEP students have their own classe.

The BICEP programme probably study chinese at an even higher level than higher chinese.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 pm

Anyone know whether there is past year GEP test papers for sale ?
Like those past year test papers for top schools being sold all over the island ?
Really have no clue what sort of questions my son will face when he sits for his first GEP common test.

Saw an ad previouslly be an ex GEP teacher who said he has such paper for sale.
However when i contacted him, he only has the test paper for the GEP screening tests,but not the test papers for common tests in GEP.
According to him, GEP students will be given the past years test papers for practice by the teaches later in the year.

Can parents who have kids in GEP comfirm this ?

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EQmum » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi ngbrdad,

Ya. They will be given past year test paper for practice by their teachers before the SAs.

The type of questions you son may face for English are about the same level as secondary one, maths of P5/6 level other than the investigation and the HCF and LCM at secondary level. Science also about P5/6 level.

EQmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:31 pm

EQmum wrote:Hi ngbrdad,

Ya. They will be given past year test paper for practice by their teachers before the SAs.

The type of questions you son may face for English are about the same level as secondary one, maths of P5/6 level other than the investigation and the HCF and LCM at secondary level. Science also about P5/6 level.

Pardon my ignorance here.
Do you mean HCF and LCM are normally only taught at secondary level ? Or are they learning a more difficult syllabus in these ?

From what I can see from their timetable for common test 1, math is being held very early in early April while the rest of the papers are all in May.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EQmum » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:19 am

HCF and LCM are taught in secondary one. The first common test 1 are normally divided in 2 parts. Part 1 for the investigation and part 2 the normal main stream questions at a higher level. Next term, they will be learning median, average and mean @ secondary 2 level. Remember you still have the Social Study to read. The year end paper for social study is not that easy too.

EQmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:50 pm

EQmum wrote:HCF and LCM are taught in secondary one. The first common test 1 are normally divided in 2 parts. Part 1 for the investigation and part 2 the normal main stream questions at a higher level. Next term, they will be learning median, average and mean @ secondary 2 level. Remember you still have the Social Study to read. The year end paper for social study is not that easy too.

Thanks for the info.
This year the mainstream question paper will be held first before the investigations.
For social studies the main problem he is facing now is writing project proposals, methodology etc. All the rigid stuff that we loath even as an adult in the working world.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EQmum » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:53 pm

I guess you must be refering to the write-up regarding the family tree - on some difference in generation for the English submission. I also cannot understand what they were asking for even after the final draft. :!: There's more to come. The portfolio that you maybe require to do during the June holidayfor Social Studies. Enjoy the stress.... :lol:

EQmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cluelessmom » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:25 pm

EQmum wrote:HCF and LCM are taught in secondary one. The first common test 1 are normally divided in 2 parts. Part 1 for the investigation and part 2 the normal main stream questions at a higher level. Next term, they will be learning median, average and mean @ secondary 2 level. Remember you still have the Social Study to read. The year end paper for social study is not that easy too.

Wat investigation paper? :shock: My dd is in GEP yet all these sound so foreign....... darn.... and she has not started on SS project....... STRESSSSSSS

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

All About GEP

Postby naggo-nitemare » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:02 pm

My son went through P4 GEP in a SAP sch last year. I can totally understand your anxieties. From what i could gauge from his class' overall math performance last year, be rest assured tt most of them do well. Consistent work is v impt. Most score high for the investigative papers if they pay attention n do the practice worksheets diligently n to clear any doubts immediately during the lessons. The SA1 n year end main math papers are challenging. The pupil MUST be fast and accurate. For the year end paper, approx 1/3 of the class could not complete in time so time allocation for each section is v v impt. Be consistent in the daily work.

For SS, encourage the child to put in his best n not to take re-drafting as a chore but a step towards an improved finish to his project. Paying close attention to details during SS lessons is v impt as the SS year end paper comprises quite many qns. These qns are not difficult to a pupil who has been reading the given materials n basic info on the net is readily available.

I hope your kids wil enjoy the process of learning through this P4 program.

naggo-nitemare
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres