Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby sunflowermom » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Zann wrote:DS is supposed to choose the IR project for next year. Can someone help understand what is Future problem solving and Innovative Project by with giving an example each. Find it quite confused with these two types. Thanks very much.

IRS is mainly on research, survey, experiment and writing.
IvP is the one option that required to produce a prototype. Personally, I find this most interesting and not much writing required.
FPS - not too sure.

sunflowermom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:04 pm

sunflowermom wrote:
Zann wrote:DS is supposed to choose the IR project for next year. Can someone help understand what is Future problem solving and Innovative Project by with giving an example each. Find it quite confused with these two types. Thanks very much.

IRS is mainly on research, survey, experiment and writing.
IvP is the one option that required to produce a prototype. Personally, I find this most interesting and not much writing required.
FPS - not too sure.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... start=1600

just go back a few pages on the discussion on FPSP
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby little_twin_stars » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:33 pm

My dd"s sch SMPS got the result already. She got in to the 2nd round. But now, what is expected in round 2? Any ideas?

little_twin_stars
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby A_Mommy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:37 pm

XingNan Primary kids got the results today.

A_Mommy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby clover18 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:05 pm

I recalled reading somewhere that round 2 is still tested on school syllabus. Is that true? I would have thought they test on higher order think and probably Math Olympiad kind of questions for the Math paper?

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby r2010 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:09 pm

clover18 wrote:I recalled reading somewhere that round 2 is still tested on school syllabus. Is that true? I would have thought they test on higher order think and probably Math Olympiad kind of questions for the Math paper?

second round is more on higher order thinking questions.

r2010
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby TREX8 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:18 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1600

just go back a few pages on the discussion on FPSP

DD participated in FPS. FPS is a competition involving different components and different categories (based on age/academic level).

There are various components (http://www.fpspi.org/Components.html) and her school signed the kids up for 'Global Issues Problem Solving' where a team of 4 students used the FPSP six-step model to explore challenges and propose action plans to complex societal problems. For Primary 5, they are under the Junior category.

During FPS lessons, DD's teacher guided them through the model and they practised using practice problems which are marked and returned to the team with feedback. Her team took part in the FPS competition which straddles over 2 years (depending on how far into the competition they managed to progress).

For 2010/2011, the preliminary round was held in June 2010 at RGS. The results were recently released. Selected teams will participate in the National Round to be held in 4 & 6 Nov in RGS (I think, not too sure about the venue but pretty sure about the dates).

The winning team from the National Round gets to participate in the FPSP International Conference to be held in USA in June 2011.

The results released on the FPSP website are for those teams that participated in the 2009/2010 competition.

DD enjoys FPS tremendously and she likes it better than IRS which is compulsory in Pri4. There is no reports to write (unlike IRS) and no prototype to produce (unlike IvP). However, it is not an 'easy' option as her team has to read up extensively and do lots of research. Working in a team also present opportunity for her to horn her social skills and appreciate the importance of team work.

From my perspective, a child who is strong in language, is creative (the team needs to visualise into the future, some 20 yrs away) and has an interest in social issues will like FPS. Also, I like the exposure to topics like 'orphans' (theme for preliminary round) and 'food distribution' (theme for national round) as they allow DD to be aware of the plight of the less fortunate and opens her eyes the problems, not just locally but globally.

Hope the above information is useful.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby TREX8 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:25 pm

r2010 wrote:
clover18 wrote:I recalled reading somewhere that round 2 is still tested on school syllabus. Is that true? I would have thought they test on higher order think and probably Math Olympiad kind of questions for the Math paper?

second round is more on higher order thinking questions.

There are 4 'tests' in Round 2. English, Math, and two General Ability papers. If conducted similarly to when DD sat for her GEP round 2 (she is now in Pri5), the tests were conducted over 2 days. Day 1 for English and General Ability 1, Day 2 for Math and General Ability 2.

I remembered quizzing my daughter about the questions after her tests but she could not remember much. But my impression is that the questions are not really school syllabus type but more problem-solving kind of questions.

The only other thing I remembered after the tests was that DD (and her classmates) came out mentally 'super-drained' and in no mood to prepare for her school's SA2 :wink:

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiasuson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:37 pm

Schools in the east since to get the result late. My DS result not out yet.

kiasuson
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ksfaith » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi

I am in the west, just called the school, they too have not receive the result yet.

ksfaith
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres