Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby ngbrdad » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:15 pm

From past experience, during my DS1 time 2 years ago. Nan Hua had around 80 who made it to second round. Out of these around 15 made it to GEP, then the school put the next best 30+ students according to their scores in the whole GEP screening process into twinning classes.
Those who did not make the twinning classes were group into the next class, supposed with better math ability than the rest.

This yeasr DS2's class already has 28 who made it to second round so I guest it will be about the same number as well.
Last edited by ngbrdad on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fanren » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:38 pm

comfy wrote:
fanren wrote:my son gotten the test slip today, 27 of them in his class can go to round 2.

:congrats: Is your son in the top class of the school ?

he is in one of the 2 best class. The real test is in round 2 bah.

fanren
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby wwcookie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:34 pm

fanren wrote:
comfy wrote:
fanren wrote:my son gotten the test slip today, 27 of them in his class can go to round 2.

:congrats: Is your son in the top class of the school ?

he is in one of the 2 best class. The real test is in round 2 bah.

I heard Taonan do 'train' their students for the GEP test. This I heard from a parent who transferred her son there. I heard Nan Hua also 'train' their 2 top classes through Maths Olympiad questions. So... just buy the Maths Olympiad books from Popular if you wanna 'train' your child too :evil:

wwcookie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby wwcookie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:42 pm

ngbrdad wrote:From past experience, during my DS1 time 2 years ago. Nan Hua had around 80 who made it to second round. Out of these around 15 made it to GEP, then the school put the next best 30+ students according to their scores in the whole GEP screening process into twinning classes.
Those who did not make the twinning classes were group into the next class, supposed with better math ability than the rest.

This yeasr DS2's class already has 28 who made it to second round so I guest it will be about the same number as well.

This year the top 2 classes together have 52 students going to the second round. Plus a handful from the other classes, maybe around 60 made it to second round. NgBrdad - does it mean that all the kids who made it to second round will definitely go to twinning classes or the better math ability classes?

wwcookie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:16 am

wwcookie wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:From past experience, during my DS1 time 2 years ago. Nan Hua had around 80 who made it to second round. Out of these around 15 made it to GEP, then the school put the next best 30+ students according to their scores in the whole GEP screening process into twinning classes.

This year the top 2 classes together have 52 students going to the second round. Plus a handful from the other classes, maybe around 60 made it to second round. NgBrdad - does it mean that all the kids who made it to second round will definitely go to twinning classes or the better math ability classes?

Assuming they have 15 out of the 60 who made GEP, then they will take another 15 to 20 from outside for the GEP, and match up with about same no of their own students to make the twinning. So maybe around 15 out of the 60 will not make twinning.

Actually I am hoping for my DS2 to make it for twinning and not GEP.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Tinkerbelle » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:42 am

:congrats: fanren.

Good luck to everyone who has been selected for the 2nd round.

Tinkerbelle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:53 am

The top 5 % of the 1st round GEP test goes into the 2nd round

Out of those in the second round, about 1/5 will make it to be the selected GEP students, hence the GEP cohort is about 1% of the overall cohort

I believe the schools have certain details of performance of the 1%, and the 4% who made the 2nd round but not selected. School will use the data to form the top class and second top class (mainstream). Some GEP schools have started the High Ability class which are formed by these 4% candidates

The "twinning" or "intermingle" will be usually between the GEP and HA class for a year for certain subjects.

Some GEP school also "pull out" certain GEP modules and make them available for selected HA class students (not all HA students may qualify, there are again selection tests) as CCA or enrichment program. (must stay back in school in the afternoon)

(Schools who are not GEP centre got no choice but donate their GEP students away, who get choose which one to go to; distance also play a part in that choice making )

The GEP path and non-GEP path will diverge from P4 till end of term 1 or 2 of P6, where GEP will start to learn the PSLE style of questions to compete with the rest of the mainstream cohort in the PSLE exams
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wwcookie » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:05 am

ngbrdad wrote:Actually I am hoping for my DS2 to make it for twinning and not GEP.

ngbrdad - Can i ask what are the similarities and differences between the twinning and GEP classes? Can you share your reasons for preferring the twinning class for your DS2?

Does the school match the number of students in twinning classes to those in GEP? Like, if there are 50 students in GEP, they will select 50 for twinning classes?

What about those kids who were not selected for the twinning classes? Will they all be allocated to the higher maths ability class just based on their first round GEP results?

wwcookie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby bekithia » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:51 pm

My son received the GEP selection notice on Thursday after being called into the staff room. According to him, he was the only one from his class.

bekithia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ksme » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:11 pm

wwcookie wrote:I heard Taonan do 'train' their students for the GEP test. This I heard from a parent who transferred her son there. I heard Nan Hua also 'train' their 2 top classes through Maths Olympiad questions. So... just buy the Maths Olympiad books from Popular if you wanna 'train' your child too :evil:

May I ask what type of training are provided by Tao Nan? My child who is in Tao Nan did not have any training for GEP testing. :?

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge