35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby ngbrdad » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:44 pm

wwcookie wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:Actually I am hoping for my DS2 to make it for twinning and not GEP.

ngbrdad - Can i ask what are the similarities and differences between the twinning and GEP classes? Can you share your reasons for preferring the twinning class for your DS2?

Does the school match the number of students in twinning classes to those in GEP? Like, if there are 50 students in GEP, they will select 50 for twinning classes?

What about those kids who were not selected for the twinning classes? Will they all be allocated to the higher maths ability class just based on their first round GEP results?

Nan Hua groups the GEP/twinning students into 3 classes G,J, K for Chines.Social studies etc classes.
The sudents will break up into tag1 and 2 for twinning and tag 3 and 4 for GEP students for their English/Math/Science lessons.
So the number of twinning students is more or less equal to their GEP students for that year.

The twinning students will have to do projects and investigative works like the GEP students but their exam papers are the same as the mainstream.

My DS1 is currently in GEP in Nan Hua. Probably average in class but struggling a bit in his filing work / projects etc cos he is playful and not that hardworking.

We didn't send either of them for any GEP lessons/tutions etc and did not prepare them for the GEP screening.

However it is quite clear to us that DS1 is much better in his logical and analytical skill and DS2 just have a very good memory. So we think he will suffer if he is in GEP.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby comfy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:33 pm

ngbrdad wrote:However it is quite clear to us that DS1 is much better in his logical and analytical skill and DS2 just have a very good memory. So we think he will suffer if he is in GEP.

May I know whether your son's class has his class position stated in his report book ? Am I right to say that the Gep stds do not take the mainstream SA1 and SA2 exam ?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:47 pm

comfy wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:However it is quite clear to us that DS1 is much better in his logical and analytical skill and DS2 just have a very good memory. So we think he will suffer if he is in GEP.

May I know whether your son's class has his class position stated in his report book ? Am I right to say that the Gep stds do not take the mainstream SA1 and SA2 exam ?

All GEP students from different schools take the same exam.
The school will give up a chart/table with the report card stating the mean/median/highest and lowest mark for class and school for each subject

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wwcookie » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:49 pm

ksme wrote:
wwcookie wrote:I heard Taonan do 'train' their students for the GEP test. This I heard from a parent who transferred her son there. I heard Nan Hua also 'train' their 2 top classes through Maths Olympiad questions. So... just buy the Maths Olympiad books from Popular if you wanna 'train' your child too :evil:

May I ask what type of training are provided by Tao Nan? My child who is in Tao Nan did not have any training for GEP testing. :?

I'm not sure - I heard from a parent who transferred her son there in P3 - said the principal told her they will prepare the kids for the test. Maybe thru the type of questions the students are exposed to in class?

wwcookie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby fanren » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:27 pm

wwcookie wrote:
ksme wrote:
wwcookie wrote:I heard Taonan do 'train' their students for the GEP test. This I heard from a parent who transferred her son there. I heard Nan Hua also 'train' their 2 top classes through Maths Olympiad questions. So... just buy the Maths Olympiad books from Popular if you wanna 'train' your child too :evil:

May I ask what type of training are provided by Tao Nan? My child who is in Tao Nan did not have any training for GEP testing. :?

I'm not sure - I heard from a parent who transferred her son there in P3 - said the principal told her they will prepare the kids for the test. Maybe thru the type of questions the students are exposed to in class?

my son (Taonan) also said they din have special training for GEP test....

fanren
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ptyl » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:50 pm

some one said 1% of all the p3 kids get thru to GEP or was it 10% ? can someone enlighten me? what is the % or number of kids that would be successfully thru into GEP this year? about 32% of the p3 kids of My boy's school got thru to rnd 2, an improvement from last yr. Does anyone have the % from other schools. thanks

ptyl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jtoh » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:02 pm

ptyl wrote:some one said 1% of all the p3 kids get thru to GEP or was it 10% ? can someone enlighten me? what is the % or number of kids that would be successfully thru into GEP this year? about 32% of the p3 kids of My boy's school got thru to rnd 2, an improvement from last yr. Does anyone have the % from other schools. thanks

The top 1% of the entire P3 cohort get through to GEP. The percentage making it through to the second round is about 6%.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ngbrdad » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:20 pm

ptyl wrote:some one said 1% of all the p3 kids get thru to GEP or was it 10% ? can someone enlighten me? what is the % or number of kids that would be successfully thru into GEP this year? about 32% of the p3 kids of My boy's school got thru to rnd 2, an improvement from last yr. Does anyone have the % from other schools. thanks

Which school is that ?
Very high percentage.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wwcookie » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:21 pm

fanren wrote:
wwcookie wrote:
ksme wrote:

my son (Taonan) also said they din have special training for GEP test....

Hmm.. even if the school did, I would think it is highly unlikely that the students will be told they are being 'trained' for the GEP test..

Then again, like i said, I'm told this by a parent who transferred her son there in P3.

wwcookie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:13 am

ngbrdad wrote:

Which school is that ?
Very high percentage.

that is just for getting into round 2, not impossible

during DS' P3 year, about 44% got into round 2, eventually only about 50 got into GEP (13% of the cohort)

and in his class of 39, 30 got into round 2, and about 10 got into GEP eventually
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres