Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Zann » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:16 am

wwcookie wrote:I heard Taonan do 'train' their students for the GEP test. This I heard from a parent who transferred her son there. I heard Nan Hua also 'train' their 2 top classes through Maths Olympiad questions. So... just buy the Maths Olympiad books from Popular if you wanna 'train' your child too :evil:

The GEP selection round include English, Maths and General Ability. Maths alone is not sufficient. NHPS last year only 11 selected for GEP. The Maths teacher did not teach them Maths Olympiad either. They get vendor to conduct Maths Olympiad from P3 to P6 to anyone who is interested. Many top scorers who are hardworking type in the P3 HA class did not get selected, though, and are now in their twining class. They attend Social Studies, HCL and others except Maths/eng/Science with the GEP pupils. They only take HCL exam with GEP pupils till P6 end SA1 before they start preparing for PSLE.
Last edited by Zann on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:17 am

ngbrdad wrote:
comfy wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:However it is quite clear to us that DS1 is much better in his logical and analytical skill and DS2 just have a very good memory. So we think he will suffer if he is in GEP.

May I know whether your son's class has his class position stated in his report book ? Am I right to say that the Gep stds do not take the mainstream SA1 and SA2 exam ?

All GEP students from different schools take the same exam.
The school will give up a chart/table with the report card stating the mean/median/highest and lowest mark for class and school for each subject

ALL the GEP students take the same exam papers set by GEP Branch of MOE, central control

The school does not set exam for GEP
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:29 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:
ptyl wrote:some one said 1% of all the p3 kids get thru to GEP or was it 10% ? can someone enlighten me? what is the % or number of kids that would be successfully thru into GEP this year? about 32% of the p3 kids of My boy's school got thru to rnd 2, an improvement from last yr. Does anyone have the % from other schools. thanks

Which school is that ?
Very high percentage.

that is just for getting into round 2, not impossible

during DS' P3 year, about 44% got into round 2, eventually only about 50 got into GEP (13% of the cohort)

and in his class of 39, 30 got into round 2, and about 10 got into GEP eventually

Last year hundred over at RGPS got thru first round and about 40+ or close to 50 students got selected into GEP. Most kiasuparents there send their kids for Outsides GEP screening preparatory class during June holiday. MOE has been advising people not to train for the screening test, so don't think school does any training.
Last edited by Zann on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Faun » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:31 am

bekithia wrote:My son received the GEP selection notice on Thursday after being called into the staff room. According to him, he was the only one from his class.

:congrats:

All the best to your ds second round.

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ApronMama » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:37 am

[quote="Zann
Last year hundred over at RGPS got thru first round and about 40+ or close to 50 students got selected into GEP. Most kiasuparents there send their kids for Outsides GEP screening preparatory class during June holiday. MOE has been advising people not to train for the screening test, so don't think school does any training.[/quote]

Frend's daughter was there and she had classmate who could not cope and suffer in the GEP course and always cry. The poor little girl had her shortsightedness increase til 2000 degree. My heart dropped when I hear that.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:39 am

ApronMama wrote:[quote="Zann
Last year hundred over at RGPS got thru first round and about 40+ or close to 50 students got selected into GEP. Most kiasuparents there send their kids for Outsides GEP screening preparatory class during June holiday. MOE has been advising people not to train for the screening test, so don't think school does any training.

Frend's daughter was there and she had classmate who could not cope and suffer in the GEP course and always cry. The poor little girl had her shortsightedness increase til 2000 degree. My heart dropped when I hear that.[/quote]

wah, got 2000 degrees ? not blind liao ? according to some website, if it is 2000 degrees, it is likely to be a pathological myopia.
Last edited by verykiasu2010 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wwcookie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:39 am

Zann wrote:
wwcookie wrote:I heard Taonan do 'train' their students for the GEP test. This I heard from a parent who transferred her son there. I heard Nan Hua also 'train' their 2 top classes through Maths Olympiad questions. So... just buy the Maths Olympiad books from Popular if you wanna 'train' your child too :evil:

The GEP selection round include English, Maths and General Ability. Maths alone is not sufficient. NHPS last year only 11 selected for GEP. The Maths teacher did not teach them Maths Olympiad either. They get vendor to conduct Maths Olympiad from P3 to P6 to anyone who is interested. Many top scorers who are hardworking type in the P3 HA class did not get selected, though, and are now in their twining class. They attend Social Studies, HCL and others except Maths/eng/Science with the GEP pupils. They only take HCL exam with GEP pupils till P6 end SA1 before they start preparing for PSLE.

Yes - maths alone is insufficient - my comment about getting Maths Olympiad books is tongue-in-cheek :tongue:

The aim of GEP is to identify those who are intellectually 'gifted' and cater to them. These children are not necessarily the top scorers or hardworking. However, the selection process is not foolproof and some of these children do fall through the net, unfortunately.

wwcookie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:44 am

those who train like mad just to be able to "make it" into GEP is likely to suffer and won't enjoy their studies
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:49 am

wwcookie wrote:
Zann wrote:

Yes - maths alone is insufficient - my comment about getting Maths Olympiad books is tongue-in-cheek :tongue:

The aim of GEP is to identify those who are intellectually 'gifted' and cater to them. These children are not necessarily the top scorers or hardworking. However, the selection process is not foolproof and some of these children do fall through the net, unfortunately.

But for sure the child must love to read and English must be good type, and yet that alone is insufficient. So there is this GA portion. As for GA, base on other parents feedback last year, the students were shown examples before the test began, so no need to worry so much what it will be like.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby wwcookie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:52 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:those who train like mad just to be able to "make it" into GEP is likely to suffer and won't enjoy their studies

And deprive those children who will truely benefit from the program.

wwcookie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP